1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Maybe it was hanging chads???;)

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Well, the first thing the referendum result might produce is at least one influx of migrants, ironically.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36626553

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't see how an intelligent person can view this as anything other than an unmitigated disaster for Great Britain, The European Union, the rest of Europe, the other democracies of the West, certainly including the United States and Canada, as well as an unexpected, but hoped for, victory for Vladimir Putin and his Russia. My understanding is that China is appalled at the impact this will have on her economy. It is not only the West that will be damaged by this vote that need never have occurred. What an incredible mistake by Mr. Cameron. Not on the scale of Chamberlain, certainly, but a disaster of historic proportions, never the less.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of Cameron but I don't really blame him for this. Almost all polling was looking like this was going to be a narrow victory for the in position. It wasn't just him who greatly underestimated the amount of support behind the leave movement.

I don't think this was a good development but as I'm learning more about it I don't think this is an unmitigated disaster yet. Boris Johnson has been talking about renegotiating with the EU and possibly another referendum. There still is a possibility that Britain will remain.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The incentives for the other EU countries, however, are to say FU to Britain and make sure that Britain feels real economic impact from this-- in order to discourage other countries from doing the same. Of course it's early, but from the statements made by officials in France and Germany, it seems this is the direction they'll take instead of letting renegotiation and other steps drag things on for a while.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Certainly there's a lot of that going on but given the size of the UK economy and military I think they will find it hard to just go on without them.

7. Major

Major Member

This is the conventional wisdom, but practically speaking, no one has any idea what the effects of this will be. For all we know, it will benefit England and maybe everyone else in the end. The argument to stay was partially just that no one knows what will happen if they leave.

8. Major

Major Member

That's the rhetoric, but I doubt it will be the reality. The harsher they are to England, the worst it is for their own economies too, and that's not something they are going to be willing to do.

It's easier to let England go because they weren't fully integrated in the first place. If some small scrub country tries to leave, they can be much harsher and not have it hurt the rest Europe as badly - but you can't do that with England.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How does this affect their Commonwealth?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

On a scale from 1 to 10, how evacuated should Katy be?

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

11. Clearly 11.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You don't blame the guy who unnecessarily and stupidly gambled the fate of his entire nation on a silly referendum he misjudged he could win?

Who else do you not blame? I mean at least psychopathic killers can blame genetics, or people who go in on a roulette spin at 3 am can blame booze

Cameron though invented this problem and it blew up in his face. Hell at least Neville Chamberlain had a valid excuse of military inferiority in 1939

13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

When the elite, the "experts" and the education system have failed the people, this is what you get.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1 gazillion!

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, "the fate of his entire nation"? GTFOH. A recession while a country is regaining their national sovereignty means their nation is doomed? C'mon. I get that some people seriously buy into ridiculous over the top rhetoric, and that's sort of your thing, but let's not lose our minds.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the basic sovereignty argument won the day

you had unelected people who didn't live in UK having a large amount of autonomy over UK policy (particularly economic and immigration policy)

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you are a fan of big government it's a sad day now that a non democratic super massive government body is losing power and could possibly crash altogether because you see that as a good thing. If you value antiquated ideas like sovereignty and democracy, you are probably happy that the EU took a kick in the teeth.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Probably not the best decision for that goofy island that is somehow an important world power.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

For England, this could be really good or really really really bad... I agree with Carl, the EU is going to make an example of them...

The way the Dow dropped today is not a good sign...

T_Man

20. Major

Major Member

EU will likely ultimately back down - they can't afford the economic damage to themselves and both want and need to have good relations with a strong England. Anything less is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

World markets dropping on one day is irrelevant - it was simply based on a (legitimate) fear of uncertainty. The markets don't know any more than you or I or England how this will all play out.