1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry - Defensive Juggernaut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Harden's beard, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Did I really read someone in this thread say Curry tries and that's fine. Honest mistakes? The dude slept on LeBron and he cut back door for an uncontested dunk. Did the same to Shumpert too. Give me strength, the bias is disgraceful.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bad defense or not aside.

you're making it seem like Curry is at no fault at all. Its exposure by him and the team. its that simple. and like my previous post said GS did everything they needed to do on that play. But make no mistake about it, the play started with Curry as the focal point. from there things break down. A bad defensive team would of given up a bucket there.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Frankly, you're just not understanding the play. Despite my attempts to describe it, you're being willfully ignorant and making careless assumptions. For instance, you're right. Lebron is fully capable of passing out of a double team. However, you're assuming that he'd get the ball. Is JR Smith fully capable of throwing an accurate pass into a soft double team while being hounded by Iggy? Considering he had already missed an open Lebron on his initial cut, the answer should be a clear "no".

You keep focusing on Lebron. You need to pay some attention to the guy who actually has the ball and look at the play from his perspective with his abilities.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I've already acknowledged that Curry was a step late. However, as a whole, I don't think that's egregious enough to justify a clip on a "bad defense" video montage. If you disagree, then you're holding Curry to some ridiculously high standards.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I understand this play just fine. You should probably stop trying to call out others when you don't full understand what is happening. You say I keep focusing on Lebron. Why wouldn't you? he's the focal point of that play and everything opens and reacts because of him lol. Again if this is you on defense you're reads would just be so far off.

hounding is not actually happening here. There's a wide open lane for the initial pass had Green not have came over which is the correct play on his part. Now that's a simple pass with plenty of space at that particular moment. but the right read by JR to wait and pass to Lebron later. That allowed the play to develop and Lebron made the quick read to TT who drew the foul. Without that, thats an easy bucket.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't care about the clip, thats your issue with whoever else. I've been talking about that one specific play that you tried to break down and make it seem like everyone else shouldn't have did what they did when in fact, pretty much everything was done correctly defensively

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Because he doesn't have the ball. It's hard to score points when you don't have the ball. As you analyze this play, it's fine if you want to focus on Lebron. But you need to also be aware of the limitations of the ball-handler. JR Smith is neither a strong ball-handler nor a strong passer. He can be pressured into throwing a bad pass.

It's like when we had Yao Ming and Aaron Brooks. Our offense ran through Yao, and opposing defenses would try to prevent Yao from catching the ball. One of their methods was to aggressively defend Aaron Brooks, the entry passer. Because of his diminutive size, defenses could force him to abandon the entry pass.

Absolutely wrong. Watch the clip again. Iggy is playing aggressive defense on JR Smith. Why do you think JR Smith failed to pass to an open Lebron?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

so just because he doesn't have the ball none of the reactions are because of him? So don't focus on him at all. please tell me you're smarter than that

You're making this simple play way harder than it really is. I guess that's what happens when its hard to see a much bigger picture, as well as a good scouting report on what should be done.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

"absolutely wrong" hahah thats hounding defense to you? really

let me dumb it down for you. he doesn't make the pass because hes smart enough to see DG coming over so he waits for the play to develop as a reaction. he also doesn't make the pass because he didn't want to force the issue and waits for a solid opening. Again your reads once again are off and I'm convinced you would of given up an easy layup had you been on defense.

It's definitely not because of this "hounding defense" your eyes are fooling you to see. In fact Iggy is initially beat when JR goes to his left and as a result platy of space for the initial pass that DG stops

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you even read my posts before you respond? Here's my post you responded to.

Does it sound like I'm suggesting that Lebron should be ignored? Or does it sound like I'm suggesting that attention should be paid to both Lebron (the focal point of the offense) and Smith (the ball-handler)?

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yep. He forces JR Smith to shield the ball with his body and then pick up his dribble.

You keep saying this yet you're essentially rephrasing my points... :rolleyes:

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

omg lol. i seriously question who taught you the game of basketball

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Look guys, it's LeBron in the lane. This is like saying it's bad defense when curry drops a 30 foot jump shot in your face.

Not many people are stopping either

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The play at about the 50 second mark of the video where Curry is called for a foul was a terrible call. Steph made a tremendous defensive play and got all ball with a clean steal on Irving.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If Kyrie was not injured last year Stephanie would not have a championship.

16. theangrycanary

exactly.

curry is an average defender for a PG. end of story.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Curry is an average defender at his position, Nothing more , nothing less. He is a big guard . He's 6'3" , even though he is light how many opponents are actually going to try to post him up with their PG... Now if he gets switched onto a bigger player his light weight makes him more vulnerable. He's got ok quickness and is a smart team defender but his team defense stems from the team .

GS has a great scheme and great parts that fit into making a strong defense .

His agressiveness is pretty low , this is due to him not wanting to pick up fouls and because his team defense mandates it .

He is definitely not capable of shutting down great players one on one . He's not capable of changing a game with his defense , thankfully he's got his shooting for that .

Curry , like harden is a top 10 player . He has his warts but is so dynamic that you are just gonna have to live with it and hope you can build a team that helps him out .

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't think he was a terrible defender before the Cavs exploited him. His issue now is that other teams (all of them) have plenty of evidence in video format of how to exploit his weakness. You have to force him to play a physical game, fight through picks, switch him to bigger players, post him up. There are so many options now and they'll struggle from here on out unless they adjust or Curry puts on 25 lbs.

He still has great hands though. I'd avoid letting him defend you one on one outside the scoring zone. He'll kill you 27+ feet from the basket.

19. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Steven curry is literally the worst person and player to ever step foot in the league. Only thing he can do is chuck up 3's.

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Thread is filled with GS agent provocateurs