1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: Warriors want to sign Dirk Nowitzki in free agency<a href="https://t.co/K9coCm4umC">https://t.co/K9coCm4umC</a> <a href="https://t.co/QZvzwdrLBQ">pic.twitter.com/QZvzwdrLBQ</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports NBA (@CBSSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/745077180489666560">June 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. malakas

malakas Member

So you only rate players based on their inconsistency?:rolleyes:
    Because Batum and Barnes, Aminu ,Ariza are very different in what they actually DO in the court.
    Batum offers ballhandling and playmaking which they do not. The other three can barely dribble the ball and their drives to the basket are horrific. Batum is a pointforward and they aren't. He even proved this year he can be the primary playmaker of a team that makes the playoffs.
    Batum isn't a 3+D wing like them.
    And as far I know it's extremely difficult for a wing who can't handle the ball to learn to do so. I only know of two such in the last 5 years.

Jeff Green on the other hand is a case on his own. He has less concetration and D than all of them that is even insulting to compare them to him.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Barnes stock has fallen like a rock and is now undervalue. Given that and his recent shots, a perfect fit for Morey.

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If under valued means he can be head for less than $10 million, OK. Anything more and you're overpaying for an average starter.

5. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

Batum isn't going anywhere, he will re-sign with the Hornets, he loves that city. Batum > Barnes

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

If Barnes is our big splash (brother) of the off-season..

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Like the next-morning had-the-large-order-of-beef-fajitas Pappasito's turd (plunk!)?

8. rullrich

rullrich Member

Lance Stephenson 2.0 - hope he can find a month to month apartment because he's getting moved over the next 4 seasons.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Stephenson has a negative bball IQ. At least HB knows how to play team ball

10. Sanity2disChaos

He should have taken the money!!!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He still gets 16 and up
    Someone will throw a gang of money at him
    He will probably get Tristan Thompson money

Rocket River

12. Asian Sensation

I've watched and followed Batum since he's been a rookie since I'm from Portland. It seems to me you just looked at his assist numbers and are assuming he's a point forward. Have you seen Batum dribble the ball before? He dribbles really high and his handles are not very good. He can make plays but that's not his strong suit. His Assists to TO ratio was less than 2:1

Batum isn't a 3+D wing? He's only been a a 3+D wing since his 1st day in the league and that's still his main attributes before being a point forward/playmaker like you're suggesting.

2 people like this.
  13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Wow I knew Batum turned the ball over a bit but didn't realize it was so bad. Batum's AST to TOV rate last season of 5.8/2.9 was lower than Lin's first year in Houston 6.1/2.9 just as a comparison. I guess you have to overlook those TOVs if you want a secondary playmaker. Also it wouldn't be so bad without Howard and his 3 TOVs per game. But I can't imagine Morey is willing to pay $26 mil per for a little bit better production than what we got from Parsons.

I know salaries are going to be crazy, but it's nuts to pay Barnes more than $10 to $12 mil per and I guess I would be okay with $20 mil for Batum the max just doesn't seem right for a non All-Star.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Really? Have you watched this year when he went to a team that for most of the game he was the primary playmaker because Kemba can't playmake for crap? Just because Portland had Lillard and Wes doesn't mean that Batum couldn't do more as he proved this year.
    No I don't look at raw stats at all. I saw his role now that he got more freedom. Tell me of the 3+D wings in the league who else if given such freedom could do as much as Batum?

Bradley and Crowder? Nope. Ariza? LOL Aminu? Hell no. Jeff Green doesnt' even have the interest to play the game to have him be the primary playmaker of any team.

So maybe it's not the best to have him as the primary ballhandler and playmaker but sure he can do more than just be a 3+D as he has repeatedly proven. The other guys are NOT capable. Most of them of even being third playmakers.

As for dribbling high ...and ? Why judge how pointforwards dribble compared to midgets pgs? Magic also had a high dribble. The result is that Batum has already proven that he can be a playmaker by protecting the ball with his body as taller guys do when they are the ballhandlers.
    Do not judge a pointforward by the standards of pgs. They are different positions.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;The first thing is I want to come back.&quot; - <a href="https://twitter.com/hbarnes">@hbarnes</a> on what he'd be looking for as a free agency. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Warriors?src=hash">#Warriors</a></p>&mdash; SiriusXM NBA Radio (@SiriusXMNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/747548467313029120">June 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Could see him take a discount, maybe 4/80 or something to stay in GS

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Wow. That's still $20 million a season.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

No because he will still make more than 64 mill no matter how bad of a series he had.

19. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

That's a prerty good A-TO ratio for a SF. You can't compare this number SF to PG.

Batum does get his assists more from making the extra pass and the occasional dribble pass off. But no he was not at any stage the primary playmaker on the Hornets last year.

20. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Just because a player has a high dribble doesnt mean their handles are poor. LOL