1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 14, 2016.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Wow, such a loaded question. :confused:

2. Airdough

Airdough Member

It seems carrying 13 pitchers the entire season has been with last September in mind. If they get any kind of consistent offense, we'll find out if the strategy worked.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Wednesday's lineup card has been submitted:

[​IMG]

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Doug Fister will be hitting 3rd in tomorrows lineup. BOOK IT!

5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

A buddy of mine thinks Correa's ceiling may be Edgar Renteria with more power..I'm hoping that's just a kneejerk reaction. Guy is still way young but man thought this season definitely has tempered some of those expectations from before.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well, that's that then.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Always good to get a win against our top division riv....... :(

8. conquistador#11

correa is done. mark my words!

(insert roll eyes.)

9. ThaShark316_28

Renteria wasn't some bum, and if he's that with more power, he'll multiple all star teams --- more so than Edgar, who made five.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's been a concerning start to the season; that's for sure. Edgar Renteria would be, by leaps and bounds, the best SS in team history - as will Correa, if he hovers in the .750-.800 OPS range, which would be really good.

But the notion of him being a generational star on the level of Mike Trout... That's what's taken the biggest hit this year. And if he's not... this rebuild is a little trickier than we initially thought.

Having said all that... HE'S STILL 21....

11. Major

Major Member

Before people freak out, let's remember that Bryce Harper wasn't anything special until his 4th year. People have way too high expectations of young players thanks to freaks like Trout.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oh, Dickie Thon....what could have been....

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

2 years ago at the age of 21 (his 3rd season in the bigs) Bryce Harper posted a .768 OPS, 26% K rate, and a 1.4 WAR.

People just need to chillax on Correa. Expectations ran wildly out of control. He just barely passed his first full season in the MLB (to the tune of 30 HR, 100 RBI, and a .820 OPS) bemoaning how he's suddenly gonna be good not great is just stupid at this point.

14. Hey Now!

Eh... Harper posted a .272/.353/.481/.834; 125 OPS+ slashline his first two years - in which he was younger than Correa, btw. He definitely made the leap in year 4 to norse god - but there was a little more meat on the bone prior.

Correa is regressing: .237/.336/.372/.708 in his last 54 games, which is more than half the number of games he played last year - so it's not like we're talking about, relatively, a small sample size. His overall OPS+ right now is hovering just above league-average.

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think we should move him to second spot in lineup, take a little pressure out, and he will be fine.

16. Hey Now!

Jeez. Harper also played a month that season with a thumb that eventually required surgery; he missed two full months. In his other four seasons, he's posting ~.940 OPS.

It's not good/great - it's very good/transcendent.

He's a slightly above-average shortstop this year. You don't normally see the greats take a step back that significant without some other factor (injury).

He's 21; I'm full committed and on board. But the notion he belongs in the same conversation with Harper and Trout... that's all that's taken a hit with me, so far - and even that hit isn't a big one. He can still, obviously, get there. But if I was.... 95% certain he'd get there last year?... I'm... 80-85% certain, now...

ETA: And, again - if he *does* land in the .750-.800 range, that's still *very* good; no shame in that. But rebuilding with a .900+ OPS in the middle of your line-up, I would have to think, is a lot different than doing so with a .800+ OPS in the middle of your line-up.

#176 Hey Now!, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  17. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Lets feast on our old former NL teams....I do miss seeing them....many good summer memories from my youth.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

OPS is 11th among SS in the Major Leagues.
    His WAR is also 11th.

We wanted him to be top 3, and i think he can do that, but it does not look is going to be this year. I think he is taking many strikes, he is walking more this year, but also striking out a lot more.
    I think he needs to be more aggressive, with less K's his average will go back to the .280's as he hits the ball to all field, and power.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

The rebuild will be hurting if all of Bregman, Reed, Fisher, Moran, and White prove they can't stick in the big leagues. Hoping the Astros have had enough bad luck with prospects not sticking long term and we're about to start cashing in the next 3-5 years. I'm not worried that Moran and White need adjustment, just if they can't make adjustments like what happened with Ensberg and Lane.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Correa is second among SS in walks, who is in first place????

Yes, our friend Villar

He would look good at 3b and Valbuena 1b