1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida Night Club Shooting - at least 20 dead - impact on US elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Will this shooting help Trump or Clinton, if it turns out that it was religiously motivated terror?

1. It will help Trump

51.0%
  2. It will help Clinton

7.3%
  3. It will help neither of them

41.7%
  1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My heart and prayers are with the LBGT community. This atrocity would not go unanswered under President Trump I promise!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PrayingForOrlando?src=hash">#PrayingForOrlando</a></p>&mdash; Stacey Dash (@REALStaceyDash) <a href="https://twitter.com/REALStaceyDash/status/742045294469095424">June 12, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Oh no, Stacey Dash spoke up. Shut it down, guys.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Shocking. Chit saleswoman with a mouth full of samples. She's good at trolling though, like trump.

4. craguin

craguin Member

Omar Mateen worked as a security guard and had a firearm license [a Florida class G license, for example, requires 8 hours of range training].

People inside the Pulse nightclub claimed there was panic/chaos, an exit being blocked by an individual, and some may have not known where to exit the club:

Eyewitness account from within Pulse nightclub

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess the guy's family better look out, Trump is going to waterboard them and then ship them to Gitmo.

6. craguin

craguin Member

The Aurora shooter's weapon malfunctioned:

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

if it happens under president trump, he won't have a response because he would step down as a president as he suggested to obama.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because, awkwardly enough, most wife-beating homophobes don't kill four dozen people, let alone one.

9. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I'm pretty convinced there at least one more person involved. The numbers just don't add up.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It certainly doesn't make sense knowing that the shooter would have had to reloaded several times and knowing how crowded the place was, I just couldn't see how a group of people in his vicinity couldn't have tackled him in the multiple times he would have had to reloaded.

11. fchowd0311

Hajj does make many Muslims more fundamentalist after their trip. My mother never wore a hijab before her trip to Hajj and now at the age of 50 always wears one when a adult male non-family member is around her. She certainly ramped up her religiosity unfortunately.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

IDGAF about what Stacey Dash thinks. Where is JaRule?!?! What are JaRule's thoughts on this tragedy?!?!

13. fchowd0311

"Religion is the only problem in the world" says the strawman that you are vigorously beating up. Poor strawman. Does he deserve such a harsh fate?

2 people like this.
  14. fchowd0311

The irony is that those gun laws don't work because neighboring states have lax gun laws. State boarders are nothing but arbitrary lines. There is no enforcement or regulation at state borders. Restricting gun access only works if the entire nation is on board.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Or many of them drunk. They could have attacked him when he changed clips.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I know it's fairly straight forward to acquire weapons (in this case to mass destruct) in this country but how the F was this guy able to get them despite being on the FBI watch list and being interviewed by them twice.

I know the whole innocent until guilty mantra but the fact that this guy was already on the watch list should signify more stringent rules.

Our system is broken and makes it easier for this lunatics to perform deplorable acts.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The closest he was to losing gun rights was if he had been convicted of even misdemeanor domestic abuse. The ex-wife claims he beat her but I didn't see anything about an arrest. He would not have been able to get his guns, firearm license or security job if he had.

Taking away fundamental rights from a Muslim is tough when you have people on this very forum crying bloody murder about delaying them from a flight for two hours.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to consider that the night club was very dark and loud to begin with. From eye witness accounts a lot of people didn't realize the shooting was starting right away. Once people did there was mass panic and probably many weren't clear where the shots were coming from. It would've been difficult to try to tackle the shooter in such a situation.

This is speculative but it also wouldn't surprise me if some of the casualties aren't from being shot but in the panic as people tried to flee.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think with this situation like the San Bernadino shooting is someone who isn't that mentally stable to begin with latching onto an ideology to settle a personal score. From what I'm reading about Mateen is that he really hated homosexuals and taking this action in the name of DAESH just gave him a way to tie his own personal hatred to what he saw as a larger cause.

It seems to me that someone who really was part of DAESH would attack a target that had more symbolic value and also attracted a greater cross section of people. For example Disney World or Universal Studios. With this case like San Bernadino the attackers target was somewhere that he had a personal grievance against.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think your theory falls flat on it's ass when you think about his father being an extremist, he met with known terrorists and he was expelled from school for saying positive things about 9/11 terrorists. His friends, family and group he pledged allegiance too are all very clear about their reasoning.