1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

4K Bluray player

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, May 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Any of you guys with 4K televisions buy the Samsung Bluray player yet? Want to know if there's a considerable difference between regular bluray and 4K bluray.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4k is amazing - I have a 4k TV with passive 3d on it, so it is like the movie theater 3D - the clarity is unreal.

DD

1 person likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can say it's better than betamax for certain if that helps.

4. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

The popular sentiment is that if you have a 4K set that supports HDR, you'll definitely see a huge difference with a 4K blu-ray player.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think the best out there is something like OLED Ultra Premium HD 4K with HDR10... or something like that. Not in the market for a TV so I'm not following the latest and greatest things. My 2013ish backlit LED is still good enough for me.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I was just looking to see if my PS4 played 4K blu rays, it doesn't. :(

Why are these media players do damn expensive?

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Refer to the 3rd post in this thread if you are wanting something a little more reasonable.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

My Xbox and HD DVD player ready to go.

Life is good Clutchfans.

[​IMG]

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bought one of those with some movies back in the day when blu ray killed hddvd. Dirt cheap

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Have a 4ktv. Going to get a PS4 Neo for the 4K movie playback when it comes out. Bought Deadpool on 4K in preparation

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I doubt it's worth the price tag but I'd get one when hits the $99 territory.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Much like the 4K sets, hold off on early purchasing and the price will plummet before you know it.

There is nothing more disheartening than paying a big chunk of change one month and then seeing the same item at half the cost a month or so later.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Happened with Samsumg 4k TV about 2 years ago. Dropped almost $700 the week after I bought it.

Thank goodness for price matching! :grin:

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, if you can get true 4k content (from new 4k blu rays) and your TV isn't the super early 4k sets (only upscales from 1080 and can't actually accept 4k resolution input)... Then it's going to be awesome, but then you need to factor in set size and where you're sitting etc etc... The bit rate on these disks are going to be great though, streaming won't be close for years, sure they'll claim 4k, but it's compressed garbage (from a convenience factor, sure streaming is great, but on some insane visual action movie blu ray will continue to win).

Haha, I also like audio on blu ray better, but have to spend decent amount and not be using soundbar to notice.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

OLED is the best display technology on the planet. Sure the whites aren't as white as LCDs are, but those blacks are true blacks. Non-lighted pixels.

Samsung's AMOLED display tech on their mobile devices are the absolute best screens ever made.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think people care about PQ that much generally (which is weird) or plasmas would still be around.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I love my plasma. I got one of the high end Panasonic displays and have enjoyed every minute of it.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah agreed on OLED. I don't think there was ever any question that OLED is superior to standard 4K if you can afford it.

However this HDR thing is completely new to me. Dolby Vision vs HDR10. Sounds like Sony and Samsung are on the wrong side of this, which is weird because I figured if any companies would be ahead of the game it'd be those two.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I love Samsung's AMOLED screens but the freaking burn-in sucks.... I have both s3/s6 and now a note 5 and all have the top status/notification bar burned in. Like when I goto use the screen in landscape I can see a permanent outline. Apparently it's pretty common if you use the phone on a higher brightness... I'm under warranty and this is with normal use... Pretty crazy. I'll probably switch to a non-samsung for a bit... But damn the colors are so great... Might have to just get them to at least swap.