1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jackson running out of options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Stephen Jackson Is running out of options. Now that LA Clippers are out of the picture and all Atlanta can offer him is $1M for 2003-04 The only team that I can think of with money that needs players is Utah. Surely he would rather come here (close to hometown) for less money than go to Utah right? I have a feeling were going to end up getting him and cheap.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/6567.htm

Stephen Jackson, so I'm told, failed to show up for a scheduled Clipper audition late last week, claiming his flight from Texas to L.A. (he took a later one) had been canceled. That was later discovered to be untrue. Then the 6-8 swingman left town early the next morning before coach Mike Dunleavy could eyeball him on the floor. Why the flagrant irresponsibility? Surely the Hawks must be offering more money, more years, more minutes, more something. Well, it's certainly not more money or years. The most Jackson can pocket in Atlanta is $1M for 2003-04, whereas the Clips were offering the Spurs free agent $2.5M per for two, but no longer. "We've decided to go in a new direction," underlined an L.A. official.

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

stephen jackson is my definition of a man with a hot gas (( big ego)) and if he doesnt fart it out, he's not going anywhere!

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

hell i'll take that hot gas for 2.5/yr for 2 years. that takes cares of the midlevel we didn't sign on posey b/t him and pike and griffin (though technically griffin wasn't signed with mle money). not sure how to play rice and still give boki time if we get jackson, but oh well, he's better than the 3's we have now. go for it if it's only 2 years.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah,if this report is true then he is going to be bad for team chemistry.The guy apparently wants a lot of money and also commits too many turnovers.He is fairly talented but I would pass up on him.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Stephen Jackson is EXTEMELY overrated! He benefited GREATLY with playing with Tim Duncan. I think many teams realize this. No surprise he is sitting around with only 1million dollar offers at the most coming his way.

6. OT

OT Member

How does this relate to Rocket basketball?

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Potential FA signing count?

IMO, if the Rox make any offer, even a lowball offer, Jackson is there for the taking. If the Rox don't make an offer, I am content that JVG and CD (and possibly even RT) just flat out don't think the guy has talent or is a headcase in the making. A "win-win" situation regardless of which way it goes.

8. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Stephen Jackson needs to let his ego go because he isn't a "star" player, he's just a good role player at best.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Think about it though, with Jerry West giving JPo 4+ million a year every scrub in the league will think they are worth that.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm not a big Jackson fan at all, but he would clearly be one of our best options at sf if we could land him.

Offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at 2mil a year.

11. SLA

SLA Member

Hmm...seems hideous!
    I thought that he looked horrible in the Finals.
    Really...he should not be allowed to dribble the ball inside. He carries the ball quite a bit. And he usually drives inside and gets stuck and is forced to pass out....like half of the time, he passes it to the other team or the ball is stolen. The other half...it's a very nice pass to Tim Duncan for a big dunk or easy layup.
    ..Also...Jackson did have some nice crossovers and stuff against the Nets.
    His shot is kinda awkward but the ball goes straight in. He is pretty clutch...and it's all from Tim Duncan too. I think he's pretty athletic...although kinda LIGHTHEADED.
    He's been in a bunch of "altercations" with like Mo Taylor and Posey and like everyone.
    But I still think we could use him...unless CD is secretly planning to get KG!!
    The only problemo is we would have Jackson, Piatkowski, AGriffin, Rice, and Nachbar trying to split 50 minutes.

12. bugsbsi

bugsbsi Member

I would sign Jackson, because if he can feed off Duncan he could feed off ming. Dont you guys relize this??? Yao Ming is going to be good this year. Steve Jackson could benefit the rockets.
    So i would offer him what money we got left and im sure he wont mind signing for what 2.5 mil for 2 years to stay on a Texas Team. Which sounds good for what the league is going to give him. Basicly not much.

Then i would go ahead and trade Boki,Cato, to Milwakee for Anthony Mason, and 2 Future Picks. This would free up some cap, and with Rice gone next season, we could go ahead and pick up Kevin Garnett!

Then we go to the Finals, Next Season.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

would i sign jackson for over 2.5 mil? No, he's boneheaded and selfish.

would i sign him for anything less? absolutely, he's better than any of our small forwards now and it gives us the opportunity to trade rice for either a formidable PF, PG or even center if we choose to trade cato later.

boneheaded he may be, but gundy should be able to fix that. if not, then give him the minutes that we would have given rice anyway. still, i think its unlikely that we will sign him unless he really wants to play only for houston

14. Yun

Yun Member

No! Jackson is not as good as he think. He commit bold errors too easily. He is also a selfish player.
    Doesn't we want the rocket to play as a team?
    I do not like him. I rather take chance with boki.

15. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

If we could sign him cheap it would be great IMO.
    He is better then the sf we have, so I would like it alot.
    And with Van Gundy being the coach... I think it could work out.
    He got Sprewell to co-operate, so will Jackson if we get him...

16. sweetie

sweetie Member

Man Boki must be really bad if you think jackson sucks. Jackson I remember schooled Boki bad in preseason last year.

17. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

OVERRATED!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP! OVERRATED!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!