1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr named Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 26, 2016.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

JBB got robbed. Well at least he came in first...

from the bottom.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He was 31, McHale was 30.

3. AXG

AXG Member

Walton had a better record.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This award vacilates between "coach of best team" and "coach whose team overperformed relative to preseason expectations" - kind of a dumb award.

That said the Blazers were helped not only because they overachieved but also because the back half of the West was such an underachieving sh-t show.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Sure, but in-game decisions, substitutions and everything, is on Walton. At the end of the day, those 40+ games are won and lost by what Walton does in-game.

Might not be the best example here, but if you're a new driver with your teacher in the passenger seat, and you're able to make it from point A to point B, is that your accolade or is that your teacher's accolade?

I'm not saying Walton should be above Kerr or anything (if it WAS a co-CoY) but Walton should have had some credit. Unfortunately, there's only one name on the award.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would've picked at least five guys in front of him, really questionable decision.

Probably got it handed because he built th foundation last year and carried it into this season.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think he deserves credit for sure, but I would argue that a lot of those in-game decisions and substitutions are based on Kerr's philosophy.

I believe Kerr certainly deserves the award, for not only 73 wins this season, but also what he accomplished last season.

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

During the ceremony just finished, Walton said that Kerr was at all home games & practices, and they discussed the game plan every day.

He also said that all they tried to do was "what Steve would do in this situation?" :)

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Seasons past should have no bearing on awards for the current season.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hi speech was amazing yesterday. I just... as much as I have grown to loathe the feel-good, ESPN-promulgated story of the Warriors, I can't help but like Kerr, especially after what he's been going through with his health. Terrible story that could happen to any of us.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well deserved, but give it to the whole staff. Great job during the regular season.

Thank god it's the postseason.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Well deserved. He's the best.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, but what he did last season certainly had a bearing on what Walton was able to accomplish at the start of this season.