1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Aboard the Luke Walton Bandwagon: check in here if you agree

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Apr 20, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, there have been articles on it, and I've seen the players, Steph included, talked about it in interviews.

I linked an article in a post above.

Rather than posting a bunch more links, just google this: "steve kerr new warriors coach fundamentals". you'll see.

Like you... it sounds ludicrous to me. But I know you've been around the block a bit as an adult and a professional. I suspect its the same in your profession. It is in mine. So many professionals don't do the obvious. I really suspect there's not enough coaches in the NBA focusing on fundamental stuff. CLEARLY, the Rockets aren't.

Here's a particularly telling quote from Bogut:

"In training camp, we did basic fundamentals," Bogut said. "We did dribbling drills. We did pivot drills. We did jump-stop drills. I'm talking like grade-school stuff. And some guys thought it was stupid, but I think it's just that attention to detail. He knew last season that we were horrible at turning the ball over, so he was all about, 'If you're double-teamed, do a jump-stop, get to your pivots.' We actually do that stuff. It's monotonous to some guys, because you're a pro and you're like, 'Holy (expletive), this is lame.' But I knew right away that he didn't care what guys thought. He was like, 'We're going to do this.' "

source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...err-golden-state-coaching-tnt-sleep/18609951/

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think Harden will respect him.

DD

3. mustang98

mustang98 Member

Why not ask the Pelicans what it's like to hire a coach from the Warriors? How did things work out for them?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I will concede Walton is a big mystery that could go either way. I think he is big risk big reward type of material. I'm really uneasy about the possibility that it pans out, but I agree if he echos what Kerr has done and actually gains the respect of this team (and Harden) it could definitely end up being a championship caliber team.

I could see Walton as their coach. I could also see Steph as a player coach. Not to undervalue that team and the coaching, but every player knows his role. Every guy knows what to do and doesn't try and do anything outside of his comfort zone. Do they get away with a hell of a lot on defense and offense? Sure. But then again, these guys know how the pieces fit together. Kerr isn't some kind of Wizard of Oz here, the team knows how the system works.

The Rockets coaching operates in a black box. We don't know who gets the start, why, or even if the move is a good one until after the game. The players don't know if their D-league bound or a starter. Roles are just random. How does DMo ride the pine and then randomly start here and there? If Luke broke this trend, then yeah, I'd say he'd be a great coach.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Going into last season, who was the better candidate: Luke Walton or Alvin Gentry?

Remember, everybody (including Kerr) praised Alvin's role on the Warriors last year.... add the fact that he'd had previous HC experience (where he may have learned from his mistakes), wouldn't Gentry have been the "ideal" candidate to not only bring on a guy with previous HC experience, but somebody to install the Warriors-way/system as well?

Now, one year later, we're supposed to believe a guy with ZERO head coaching experience... having faced zero adversity... is possibly a better candidate? And this is after seeing what Gentry did (or was unable to do) in New Orleans, when he no longer has the same personnel/talent he had in GS.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

NOP also had some incredible bad luck. That's got to factor in at least a little.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Yeah, that's what Warrior fans said about Kerr when reports came out that the Warriors were pursuing him.

Different people are different. They have different brains, personalities and taste in clothing. Saying "Gentry failed and Walton is just an inferior version of Gentry" kinda seems like a misunderstanding of what humans are. They're not all clones, only differentiated by their work experience.

8. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Assistant coach will be Bill Walton

9. JayZ750

Your describing Steve Kerr from 2 years ago as well.

I'm not an inside man. But here's my impression of Gentry. He was that senior, already with HC experience, assistant head coach who did great at being an assistant, but already had mixed results as a HC, and then when he joined the Pelicans made some HC blunders ... specifically in trying to "copy" to the "t" some of what worked in GSW.... when the players weren't suited to that. Then add on the crazy injury luck the Pelicans had. They still have a decent coach (better than the Rockets) with lots of upside.

There's no scenario where if Gentry was still the GSW #1 assistant that I'd be chomping at the bits to get him.

Yes, Walton might ultimately prove to have similar problems. But at least with him there is a lot of potential that he won't. That he thinks a little "younger", and is more flexible.

Of the classic options discussed, Thibs was the only one I liked. Recent, highly successful HC experience, has a relationship with James, we know James would trust him, alpha mentality that might be needed, etc. He's off the table, and frankly probably was never on it.

I have no clue how anyone can be excited by Brooks, JVG, Nate McMillan or the like. Brooks has already proven his ceiling, which isn't high enough. JVG hasn't coached in 10 years, and when he last did never could understand offense and couldn't get a legitimate 2 superstar team past the first round.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

God that guy is too permafried to do anything. Whenever I hear him on Wildcat games I just think to myself "this is the best anti-drug ad that anyone could make."

11. JayZ750

Undoubtedly, the biggest question.

Will Harden, plus any other free agents, respect him.

The one thing you'd want to hope, at least, is that the guys look at his recent pedigree. Don't respect him? Don't respect 73-9, championship(s), MVP players, etc.

I think more than anything it would come down to how "alpha" Walton could be out the gate. I'm not talking about yelling and screaming. I'm talking about frank conversations with James. Conversations that start with "look what we did with Steph, when we gave him a system, when he bought in, when we focused on defense and fundamentals, etc." And hopefully get buy-in.

12. CertifiedTroll

Kobe did not pass him the ball. Just like Kobe, our superstar will not respect him. I think we need someone more established.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

His wife is hot. There is that.

Google Sucks!!

#53 Deckard, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Do you mean her:

[​IMG]

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just want to make sure he knows how to design plays and not get credit for the culture and skills the Warriors already have.

We need a high BBIQ coach.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Phil Jackson and the Knicks are waiting in the wings to give him plenty of $$$. Houston won't be able to match and how are they going to sell him on coming to Houston because we have a championship roster.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Played by Google search! Arrgh. Shows how much I pay attention to Ms. Spears (zero). Here's an actual image of Bre and her sweetie:

[​IMG]

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, let's hire the totally unproven guy whose alma mater is the bitter rival of Harden's college.

The only thing Walton has proven as an NBA coach is that he can call Kerr's plays without screwing up. That's pretty much the same thing JB has done, only Walton has better talent and a better system than the one JB inherited so he got better results.

Let some other team waste a few years on this turd.
    <BR>

19. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I'd be willing to a chance on him

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

I don't watch Golden State that often, but is Kerr truly the reason for Golden State's success? I would have to think it would have to do more with Curry's greatness more than anything. Kerr doesn't strike me as a Pop guy except occasionally dropping some jokes here and there. Getting someone from his coaching staff is eh.