1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Jvg not interested in Rockets because of relationship with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about that. We had a pretty good defense with him too.

2. Nook

Nook Member

A number of guys have been contacted and will be contacted by the Rockets.

Two coaches that interest the Rockets are still with other organizations right now.

I don't know that Les would sign off on it, but I know that the Rockets front office has a lot of interest in Brett Brown in Philadelphia. The Rockets have spoken with him in the past and admire his ability. The Sixers are now ran by the Colangelo's and Brown wouldn't mind being let go.

Another current coach the Rockets would have some interest in is Dave Joerger in Memphis. His future isn't decided but he supposedly is open to moving on as well and the relationship with Chris Wallace isn't as strong as you would expect.

I am sure the Rockets will also have conversations with Kelvin Sampson. He is probably the most respected former/current coach that James Harden has had. Sampson is also very well respected by Daryl Morey. He is very bright and open to input from the front office. Personally, I don't think Sampson would have much interest as he has already started planning his post basketball life and has cut his hours back.

The Rockets had interest in former Heat assistant Kenny Atkinson (I discussed him in some thread on this site in the last few weeks). He is young and creative with a bonafide background in basketball.

Les Alexander wants a "splash" and will put pressure on the front office to get a "known" coach. Most likely, Daryl Morey will need to sell Les on whomever the coach he wants is.

Scotty Brooks is a name that would satisfy Les and is familiar with a strong GM from his days in OKC. I don't have any current information about Durant and Brooks being linked, other than I wouldn't assume that just because Durant likes Brooks as a person, doesn't mean he wants him as his head coach again.

I am skeptical of the Jeff VanGundy to the Rockets connection. I am sure that Morey would be happy with it (VanGundy is open minded and has a strong relationship with Jeff... if Stan VanGundy was not in Detroit and was satisfied with "only being a coach" he would interest the Rockets).

I cannot see Mark Jackson being a serious candidate unless he interests Alexander. I could Les thinking he would be a good hire, but Jackson does NOT fit the Rockets culture. We can complain about the Rockets current situation, but it isn't for a lack of hard work. The Rockets front office and coaching staff work longer hours than most in the NBA, and Jackson likes to view the job as a 9-5. That doesn't even consider his complete lack of relationships with his prior assistants and front office supervisors.

Lionel Hollins makes sense on paper, but the Rockets already spoke to him about being a top assistant in the past and... lets just say that conversation did not go well. Hollins is not flexible, and in my opinion is not an especially good head coach.

I would like the Rockets to interview Ettore Messina but have heard nothing about that happening. I believe that he would be an exceptional NBA head coach but he may be too big a risk for a GM trying to save his job, and has orders to win now.

I haven't heard anything about Luke Walton.

Want a real dark horse?

Brian Scalabrine.
    .... a real favorite of Daryl Morey, but I am not sure he has much interest.

2 people like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you Nook.

White Mamba! :grin:

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Nook, what about Thibs?

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Brett Brown in Philadelphia (Are you serious)???
    Hasn't he had the worst records in the last years

2013-2014 (19-63)
    2014-2015 (18-64)
    2015-2016 (10-72)

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth hammer !

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

And why is that lost on Brett Brown?

Was he supposed to turn **** into gold?

Not saying he's a good coach, I have no idea. He does/did come from the SA tree.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He just wants to show that Les was wrong on the first time if JVG is going to come here, maybe he likes the city, Houston more than anything else. Otherwise he should go somewhere else. He and Morey would have a problem sooner or later.

9. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I watched some Sixers games this season and I thought their offensive scheme sucked. Lots of isos and jacked up a lot of bad shots.

10. htown1984

htown1984 Member

i just think he had 3 years to at least improve- wouldn't you think so-
    It looks like they stayed the same or worsen..

11. htown1984

htown1984 Member

thats what i saw- at least get a coach - who runs a nice system

Do you think the Hawks would trade us Mike Budenholzer? LOL

12. Nook

Nook Member

I know the Rockets have had interest, but he wants complete control of basketball operations. That would mean Morey would be replaced or have no actual power within the organization.

I don't see that happening.

13. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Nook!

14. Nook

Nook Member

Brett Brown developed a lot of the concepts used by the Spurs and Budenholzer. The system that Brown would incorporate would be almost identical to Budenholzer.

Try running an offense like the Brown wants to incorporate with a bunch of 19-22 year olds that are not very talented and have absolutely no grounding in the game.

The Hawks were full of veterans with Budenholzer took over in Atlanta.... the Spurs have veterans to run their system. Brown had literally nothing.

I don't know that Morey has the balls to hire Brown based on Les not being impressed, and the fact that Brown would have difficulty getting players to buy into the former coach of the Sixers.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

yes that would be the issue- it would be hard to sell him to Les and the players (especially the Free Agents)'
    Same with Scalabrine - not enough experience (tough sell)

Im not sure what is out there for the Rockets (Thibs is probably taking the Wolves job), JVG doesnt trust Les, Scott brooks is probably heading to Wizards.

Not sure there is any big named coach to be had :(

16. Nook

Nook Member

You are going to see less and less available really good known coaches; because the trend is for successful coaches to want total control of basketball operations. As a result, teams with a strong front offices are having to pick unproven candidates. Some do well, and others fail.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Nook-

It be interesting to know your top choices for the Rockets

My # 1 choice is Thibs (But he wants alot of power) and i dont think Les i ready to fire Morey (But who knows)

# 2 (Of Course Houston favorite JVG) well see where that goes- i have a feeling he wants to come here- He always praises Houston

# 3 (Joerger) if hes let go (This guy can coach) The Grizzlies always play hard defense and at least run a system (Also would be great to know if he has a good relationship with Conley) maybe he can bring him as well

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember, but I doubt the majority here were alive or were fans when that happened

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Rockets will name Chris Finch head coach. :p;):grin:

20. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Thanks, Nook, for clarifying the Thibs situation.

I wonder if Luke Walton would be an option. Has the potential to be a splash and success..

I really think Ettore Messina would be a candidate Morey would consider.

My wild card, should they beat Toronto, would be Nate McMillan. Not sure Morey would be interested, but if I were DM, I'd at least interview him.