1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Must watch Netflix TV dramas? Much appreciated.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

That's one I tried to get into several times but just couldn't. I think it's because I was coaching HS football at the time and just didn't care for their portrayal. I found it kind of forced.

I've heard tons of great things about it though. OP should try it and see what he thinks.

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Also, Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch is great if you like Sherlock Holmes. There are only 3 seasons, but each episode is about an hour and a half and extremely well written.

Very fun series.

3. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

If you liked "The Wire", and the movie "Fresh", check out "Top Boy".

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I watched Happy Valley. It was a very good British drama. Season one had some very dark and disturbing scenes that were very uncomfortable to watch. I thought the show did well to focus more on the character's emotions and reactions in the aftermath of the tragic experiences.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Just started Better Call Saul...not too bad so far. Halfway with season 1.

Sonny likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Try watching the British drama Hinterland. Each episode is like a 90 minute film set in the hinterland of Wales. Great acting, great scripts, and stunning scenery in a Wales sort of way.

9/10

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Detectorists is a charming little show. Worth a watch if you like British dry humor.

7.5/10

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just finished S2. A quality show with several "uncomfortable" moments.

To anyone that's hooked on British police dramas: I guarantee you will love it.

9. conquistador#11

In another thread, comrade deckard recommended "Velvet". Great stuff.

I want to start "elementary" is it worth it?

10. 713

713 Member

Watch the BBC Sherlock instead. Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I liked Happy Valley a lot. I absolutely ADORE Steve Pemberton and his character Kevin the Accountant with the Really Dumb Idea reminded me a lot of Lester Nygaard in Fargo. Never piss off a passive aggressive beta male, is what I got from those shows.

I LOVED Broadchurch and The Fall...likely because the leads in each were perfection to me. Smoldering.

Made it through 1 1/2 seasons of Luther before I quit. Idris Elba is nice to look at but overall I found the villains boring.

I started watching "River" and Stellan SkarsgÄrd is spectacular, but I'm struggling to accept that he NEVER STOPS conversing with dead people and that's pretty much the show. I want to finish this one because of the critical acclaim and great acting...apparently it gets very dark and complex. Always interesting when a show tackles mental health in-depth.

Finally, I started watching The Killing last night and really like it. However, it's not British, and I haaaaate Joel Kinnamen in it (after the first episode). But everything else is right up my alley, so I'm pumped to finish Season 1 this week.

I've had Netflix forever but only recently started exploring all the great dark murder shows because of this thread. So thanks for everyone's recommendations. I love TV that's not network TV.

12. conquistador#11

it's one of the best. I just wanted something to alleviate my sherlock fix til the new season.

Another hidden gem might be "Generation War". It's a lesser lesser Band of Brothers from The German point of view. At times, it did feel like the German version of the "CW" had to put out a war epic but it's worth the watch. 3 episodes, over 90 minutes each.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. body slam

body slam Member

Started watching Turn (AMC) on Netflix last week. I started episode 1 several times in the past and it started off really slow and I would always tune out. A friend told me to stick with it. That its AMC and will gets better. It took awhile for episode 1 to get rolling but once it took off it was pretty good. 3 episodes in and now I have to keep myself from binge watching.

14. hvic

hvic Member

I just finish binge watching entourage. I wish I was a movie star

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Reviving thread to share a recommendation and hopefully receive some new suggestions... just watched Department Q - The Keeper of Lost Causes. Part of a Danish crime drama movie series (English subtitles). Very good acting and plot. There are two more of the series on Netflix that I will watch for sure.

[​IMG]

Also started up the Noble series. A Norwegian TV series about Norwegian soldiers stationed in Afghanistan. Again, very good acting.

Any other recommendations? Particularly like crime dramas of the Killing, Happy Valley, Luther variety. Watched and enjoyed Paranoid, the British series that starred Luther's ex-wife.

16. 713

713 Member

I recommend Luther. Pretty badass cop show starring Idriss elba

swoosh1014 likes this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Luther is good for exactly what it is: pulpy, melancholy crime drama. Very well done.

I loved The Crown.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I enjoyed Luther, thought Ruth Wilson was great as the villain.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought she was great, too. Her presence in The Affair (and McNulty's) was why I started the show before giving up after the last season.

GRENDEL likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yes, my wife and older daughter especially liked the Crown. I did as well, perhaps not as much though... had trouble with Elizabeth being such a hottie. ;)

Luther was a favorite of ours. Agree that Ruth Wilson almost stole the whole show... every scene she stole, needed more scenes with her.