1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Go check Roy's playoff performances. With the Astros. After the 4th inning.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure how one checks stats "after a specific inning", but Roy was no slouch in the playoffs (i.e. NLCS MVP). My comment was really more based on Keuchel's dominance than Roy's screw-ups.

Again, small sample size... namely Keuchel.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Recency bias

4. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Agreed on the Cy Young being in Keuchel's favor, no doubt about that. But as far as "clutch" goes, for now, I give that to Roy-O. 2005 NLCS vs the nemesis Cardinals; he pitched 14 innings in that series (7 IP in Games 2 and 6), gave up only 2 total runs in those 2 starts, and closed down the old Busch Stadium while winning NLCS MVP.

5. Buck Turgidson

You may have been too young for 2004 or 2005. Definitely too young for 95-2001. 80-89 is out of the question. That's ok.

Stros fans should be Stros fans

6. Buck Turgidson

Not that I care one way or the other, but Roy was not a great playoff pitcher while with the Stros. He had a great series against STL, but he had a couple of terrible others, including his start in the WS.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You're 1 out of 3... only '80-'89 is too early for me.

I'm definitely an Oswalt fan. Loved his tenacity, he worked fast, was durable, and he was good/great from his first big league start and thereafter with HOU. At worst, he's our 3rd best starter since '90 and can easily be argued as the best. Let's not forget Roy's crap WS showing, though. 2004 vs STL, his overall numbers weren't good either. Looks like '04 may've been a bad relief appearance that skewed the numbers... I don't recall specifically. Looking at the stats now, Oswalt features a MUCH higher WHIP and ERA in 4 different series with HOU compared to Keuchel... even despite Dal's sudden death relief appearance (that jacked his ERA and WHIP) Game 5 @KC.

Again, Roy was a stud. The playoff comment was more about Keuchel's ballin than Roy's mishaps.

Saw this comment AFTER posting the above one.

Keuchel's being more clutch in the postseason was the only definite advantage over Roy, thus far.

I guess we agree on that, but I don't understand why you disputed that statement to begin with :confused:

#167 Houstunna, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  8. UND3RxOATH

UND3RxOATH Member

To be fair, I was a row behind the drunk lady who started it. She blamed Miller Light.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Roy Oswalt is the GOAT Astros pitcher right now, and I haven't heard a good argument to the contrary. He did it for a decade.

I would say Dallas has been better over the last 2 years than Roy was, but he's just starting his 3rd year as an ace. If Dallas is able to do this for another 4 or 5 years, then we can talk.

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

Oswalt was an honor to watch. Dude flat out dominated at times and was a power pitcher. I like that today's Astros pitchers have focused on getting groundouts, because groundouts and pop outs are still outs. I just miss when Astros had that kind of pitcher that just powered his way to a win. Maybe McCullers, if he stays healthy, can be that guy from what I've seen.

11. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

i was above her in the club section. it was the fat lady in keuchel's corner wasnt it?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Great, Now the fans are blaming the lights. See what you did Springer? :mad:

13. conquistador#11

can't believe 2004 and 2005 is early for some fans. getting too old for sh..

roy was ellllllectrifying just like his origin story. dallas has to do it for more than 5 seasons.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To me, right now it boils down to how great Roy was from the very beginning. In many ways his rookie season was his best season... Astros fans may have taken for granted what they were witnessing. He did reinvent his game as he went along, when his stuff may have started to diminish, while maintaining an elite level.

Dallas has had a much tougher road... basically working tirelessly on his game to improve to the level he's at right now. I don't know if he would be able to adjust or reinvent himself if his stuff starts to diminish... but I know I'm going to appreciate the hell out of him while he's at this level.

Around the 5th or 6th inning last night, while everybody was b****ing about the offense and the wasted opportunities... I was thinking to myself that the most special player on the field, Dallas, is having one of those games where you merely need to just sit back and watch him work. Doing that allowed me to enjoy the game much better... rather than stress about every single GIDP or bases loaded squandering opportunity.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Got to think Moran is about to get his shot. White's performance and story have overshadowed Moran's great spring and hot start in AAA.

That's why I think Gattis getting competent at catcher is important. Then we could cut Kratz and move up Moran without additional moves.

To get Reed up, we will need to move one of Gattis or Valbuena.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

How in the hell is "getting Gattis competent as a catcher" gonna help this club? He will never be anywhere near the defensive catcher that Castro is and his offense is well, freakin offensive. I wish people including the org. would stop with this foolish thinking that he is a viable option. Rediculous!

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

After rereading your post finsraider I assume you meant as a backup and maybe I can kinda see that but the people clammering for Gattis to replace Castro are who I am referring.

18. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Carlos Gomez is 1 of only 3 players with 35 or more at-bats this season to have yet to record an RBI. (Granderson, Rendon the others)

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

How much more can you say about a guy who has obvious incentive to perform well (pending free agency) and is completely blowing it?

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah but Rendon isn't exactly bad company . Small sample size , that being said , I don't like Gomez' approach