1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Clutch City can shock the world - An analysis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bamushake, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Bamushake

Bamushake Member

Hi all. This is an original analysis I wrote on how the Rockets can actually pull off the upset against the Warriors.

http://www.ballandone.com/2016/04/14/rockets-upset-warriors/

There are a lot of clips in my post that reinforce my points so I encourage you to read the full thing, but here are some quick takeaways.

• Post-ups will be key to slowing down the Warriors, but Dwight Howard should not get touches because he turns it over so much down there. D-Mo, Harden, and (maybe) Beasley are all viable post-up options, especially when Warriors switch on screens. Also, posting someone else up gives Howard a better chance of crashing offensive boards.
    • The Harden PnR is a potent weapon, but Rockets have to be selective when using it against the Warriors. PnR against Bogut/Ezeli/Green as the big won’t go anywhere, but against Barnes/Speights/Curry it can be very effective. Rockets should get creative and try experimenting with Ariza and Beverley screening more instead of Howard.
    • When Warriors load up the strong side against Harden, he will look for the skip pass into the corner. This means whoever is spot-up at the corner has to knock down a respectable percentage of 3PTs, which means 27.2 3PT% Corey Brewer will have a very short leash.
    • Offense won’t be a big problem for the Rockets – they just have to be careful not to hurt themselves with live ball turnovers.
    • Defensively, Rockets can slow the game down by fouling liberally when guys are stuck on screens or Warriors are on the break. Sending the Warriors to the line is preferable to giving up fast-breaks or open 3-PTs because the dubs have so many sub-70% FT shooters. The Warriors won’t beat you from the line.
    • Rocket wings should stay on their man and force a Warriors roll man to shoot floaters or mid-range jumpers. The Utah Jazz with Rudy Gobert did this really well. Granted, this is very hard to do.
    • When Curry comes off a screens, teams have tried switching everything and living with him going 1v1 against a big. Rockets should seriously consider this strategy. Curry isolations are one to make sure that Klay Thompson won’t score 37 points in a quarter against you.

Thanks and enjoy the read! Feedback welcome. :)

6 people like this.
  2. nnayak

nnayak Member

Great job. I really enjoy your articles, perfect balance of unbiased analysis with some clutch city homerism

3. diehardrockets

Someone pass this analysis on to JBB! Great read. Repped ;)

4. SunsRocketsfan

5. dmoneybangbang

Great write up!

I think the bolded is going to be a key part to beating the Warriors. We simply can't beat the Warriors playing our own game, which they do but much better. I think Howard should be used a little more in the post, but it has to be done right. We need to get the ball to Howard quickly when in position and he needs to make quick decisions. That's on top of Harden, DMo, and Beasley need to focus on scoring in the paint.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In one sentence - play like GSW of this season (Harden shooting like Steph) and GSW plays like the Rockets of this mediocre season

and we will win out!

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I unfortunately envision so, so many turnovers coming from this skip pass.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

All we have to do to win the series is score more points than them in each game.

9. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

They should play Capela more. Comapred to Howard, Capela is much better defensively against perimeter players. Howard sucks at defending the pick and roll, and will get shut down offensively by Bogut.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

that is chicken dinner - spot on

11. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Guess how much weed OP smoked when he posted this
    winner gets autographed Sam Dekker bobblehead

12. white_dragon

white_dragon Member

Long time lurker, never posted, but I wanted to give you props. Both write ups are solid. Really enjoyed them.

1 person likes this.
  13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Love this type of stuff/ more so one of the reasons I wanted the rockets in the playoffs - ya dig.

14. dmoneybangbang

To add:

Harden needs to be a 21pt 13 dime 4 TO type of player this series. That would be nice.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Keeping turnovers down has to be a major key as well.
    Great write up OP

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Let's shock the world!!!

Warriors 4 Rockets 1

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

We've been waiting for Playoff Dwight all season. Now, he's finally here! Unleash this beast (minus the free throws)!

18. dream2franchise

Great stuff there, OP. I enjoyed reading it.

19. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Shock the world and cover -13.5

Warriors rest curry in the fourth and rockets only lose by 13.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be a nice surprise if we could make it very close each game without a major blowout

No victory by GSW beyond 15 pts differential would be nice.