1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I am confused as well.

I am also going to dumb it down with a stupid question... How is buying this car getting a tax credit in return and why?

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

So my father in law got to talk to his friend in LA, who is currently working for another electric vehicle. He was very skeptical of Tesla being able to keep up production. Possibly collecting the parts overseas and building them in Tesla's new plant in Fremont (GM's old plant). Whatever the case, he doesn't see the Model 3 out until maybe late 2018 or 2019. Either way, good capital for Tesla. Consumers lose nothing with their fully refundable deposit.

3. le081488

le081488 Member

Really hoping I get in on this tax credit, if not, might even still buy it.

4. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

i have nvr bought a brand new car, but is there tax charged, or is the 35k including tax? if there is tax, then that'll make the car close to 38k

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Every state is different. There are only 5 states that do not charge sales tax. And many states consider car sales different. So yes, you can probably assume 3500 in tax, title and license, generally speaking.

6. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Yikes. Thnx

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How: There are federal and state tax credits for individuals who purchase an electric car.

Why: To promote better and more environment friendly vehicles, specifically electric cars.

The tax credits are eligible once you receive the car. This poses a problem for those who are buying the Tesla 3 for tax credits as the tax credits are limited by a few factors. Optimistically speaking, those who pre-ordered on day one have a good chance of receiving them. Realistically, many of these tax credits (state wise) expire over the next year.
    Additionally with the Tesla, east coasters who camped out and were "technically" the first people to preorder will receive their cars later than west coast as Tesla will be fullfilling orders starting from the West Coast to the East Coast. However all of this could change.

In other words, dont buy it for the tax credits. You may not get them.

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Thank you for clarifying

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's a comparably sized vehicle to the Tesla 3? Is it more Corolla sized or Camry sized?

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

BMW 3 series/Audi A4 size.

Although, without an engine up front, it should have more passenger and cargo space compared to those. Front passengers are moved forward to allow more space for rear passengers. Also has a front trunk(frunk) where an engine normally would be.

11. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Just received the confirmation email.

Wife is looking forward to this car. She texted her friends and relatives. She is making this into a social occasion. Buying a car had never been so much fun.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Are you on the west coast? Still havent gotten mine. Anybody else still not receive theirs either?

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am hearing from a lot of people that after the huge preorder numbers, it means Tesla has finally broke into the mass market - the Model 3 is meant to be a mass market car after all. The idea is that those who bought the Model S were the early adopters, and those ordering the Model 3 now are the mainstream buyer.

This is assumption is very wrong.

Here is a graphical representation of the disruption curve:

[​IMG]

Those who waited in line, some overnight and some for two days in advance, and even those who ordered online within the past 2 days, were NOT the mainstream buyer - not by a long shot.

These people consisted of environmentalists who have waited years for a viable/usable/attractive electric car, tech lovers who follow the cutting edge and want the latest gadget, Tesla fans who have followed the company but cannot afford a Model S/X.

Reality is: people who bought the Model S were wealthy early adopters; the people who are ordering the Model 3 right now are ordinary early adopters.

Looking at the disruption curve, the description fits. People ordering now, even those in this thread, are people willing to take a risk on early technology. This is NOT the mass market where buying an EV is still an afterthought for most people. The mass market where people are still concerned over range/convenience/cost(Tesla has solved all of these but the average buyer is not yet aware). The mass market where a large segment of buyers have never even heard of Tesla before.

What are the implications of this if true?

Preorders stand at 253k as of this morning. That is a staggering amount unheard of in the auto industry(or practically any industry given the $35k price tag). But if you consider that these orders are all only still from early adopters, then the implications are far grander.

The Model S introduced Tesla to the ordinary early adopter class. These people are now ordering the Model 3. Once the Model 3 is on the road(at a much greater quantity compared to only 50k Model S's in the US), it will introduce Tesla to the masses. That will open up a market an order of magnitude greater than the preorder numbers we are seeing today.

A tsunami of change is about to hit the transportation industry.

#293 CXbby, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

I am in Houston. Email might had arrived this morning (not sure), but I didn't check my email until a few minutes ago.

Good time.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is great to hear.

Corporate media is funded by advertising, and a huge chunk of that comes from the auto manufacturers(just turn on your tv). So no surprise that 1000 person lines were getting sparse coverage from the mainstream media. I had to listen to CNBC talk all day about the Iphone SE launch two days ago, something barely anyone cared about. Meanwhile the massive Tesla lines barely get a mention.

Tesla is going up against so many entrenched interests: oil and gas, auto manufacturers, auto dealers etc. In another day and age, perhaps interest could have been squashed.

Unfortunately for those industries, we live in an age of social media now, where word of mouth has exploded, and this thing has gone viral.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=tesla model 3

#295 CXbby, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup. The wealthy actually bought the Model S because it is an amazing car. Not because it's good for the environment.

Now the mainstream buyer will see the benefits and it will be in their budget range.

I just bought two cars in the last 2 months. Otherwise I would buy one also.

Like I was telling my brother in law yesterday, this will be like the iphone of the car industry.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

sorry for the 2nd post but you're spot on. You can't keep people from talking about it. One person can reach thousands with twitter, facebook and snapshat alone.

So many industries will be changed if this car takes off. From gas stations, dealerships, service departments, oil/gas, and car manufacturing.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They're not pre-orders. They're just refundable deposits.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Good sales so far, but I'm afraid if too many people jump on this offer Tesla won't have that same elitist feel to it that is a major selling point.

Also does anyone have a discount/promo code?

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Har har.