1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting DMO plot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theteam, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the OP's point is not why DMo plays so little as a starter but why he is the starting playing so little.

I've been wondering too. If he's not good enough to play heavy minutes, why even start him?

2. amaru

amaru Member

At least we all agree on this.

3. Mr. Motiejunas

Still want to see a Bev-Harden-Ariza-Beasley-Dmo lineup at one point. Harden would get to the bucket all day.

4. theteam

theteam Member

Exactly, I think there is a financial play here. Morey being Morey.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

As I warned another poster, be careful with your words about DMo. You do not want to upset the "DMo Task Force." He is protected from any type of critique of his game. ;)

Beas has plenty of experience now. I don't think it's much of a surprise that he's a much better player than DMo, considering his years of development, along with his time playing with Hall of Famers (LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Jesus Shuttleworth) and being a beast (MVP) in China.

DMo has a unique skill set, but he's nowhere as versatile as Beas. I definitely agree with you that Beas is the superior player on both ends of the floor. Tonight, Beasley evidenced his growth and versatility with the jumpers and the moves/footwork in the paint. Moreover, his defense and rebounding were great. 8 rebounds doesn't seem spectacular, but if you watch the boards he grabbed, they were highly-contested and he was able to box out guys bigger than him (Tim Mosgov, Thompson,etc...).

I don't know if DMo needs more time or if he isn't fully healed, but his shots aren't as smooth as we've seen them and his speed seems to be slower. Not only that, his rebounding and defense have been mediocre at best. I tend to think he's still getting stronger and dealing with the back pain, but I wouldn't be surprised if his self-confidence was effected by the failed trade.

I hope he gets his "mojo" back right when we make the playoffs (Yeah, we're going to war). We'll definitely need some help in the post and some size to defend Timmy and LaMarcus.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not to anyone with a brain the number 2 pick in the draft, the consensus college player of the year?

He just had to get off the wacky tobacky and alcohol to find his NBA game.

Glad it is with us.

IMHO, he should be starting.

DD

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't worry Dmo fans. Within the next game or two he will have a good one. Then back to the old so and so.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

well talent wise Beasley should be running circles around DMO in my opinion...obviously we know with Beasley it's never been an issue with talent but more of what's been going on between the ears all these years

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea def looking that way...if this continues having DMO come off the bench could be another huge boost if he continues improving. Def looking forward to next season with "pending changes" looking =)

10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Yep ALL THIS with a bag of chips!

11. supercoolBeas

supercoolBeas Member

I really love this DMo/Beas tandem. Said that many times here already. Some unique mix of talent and versatility on both ends of the floor. And I agree with the others, this is not entirely a "DMo vs. Beas" thing because in CERTAIN match-ups, we could actually put both Dmo and Beas out there, especially in closing games. Further, such move could definitely benefit Harden as Beas could hold his own vs. some 5's in the league, especially given the small ball era we are in right now.

PS. Does DMo really like shooting those wild hookshots? Like he's facing the other side of the court and next thing you know he attempts one of those suddenly out of nowhere lol

12. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Come on man. You can't knock Beasley because he was playing in China. He's playing out of his mind right now

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good Post Cod. But there's still a big IF or ? on them making the playoffs IMO.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not knocking him. I'm giving him a ton of credit.

He looks far more comfortable out there than D-Mo right now, and that's quite impressive given that he hasn't played NBA basketball all year.

Meanwhile, people said D-Mo was ready because he played some d league games....when it's clear that he's still got stamina and movement issues (and this could all be due to his back...which means he's probably never going to amount to much).

Basically, D-Mo probably wouldn't even succeed in China right now. Nothing he's doing looks fluid. Beasley looks as if he's been the one on the team for 3 years.

15. StrawberryJamm

Dmo should be getting minutes at the 5 along side Beasley when we go uptempo, this is also a good time to have KJ or Brewer in along side Harden and Ariza to help gang rebounding and be able to switch everything on D . That's were we'll see what kind of value Dmo has going forward.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

DMo isn't moving well enough to be in any sort of uptempo game... he just isn't.

Even hobbled Dwight and lanky Cappella are both still able to stay in front of a guy on occasion. Presuming you're playing DMo at the 5 when other teams are going small, he will immediately be a defensive/rebounding liability... not to mention he looks like a chicken with his head cut off on the offensive end (rushing everything, missing layups, causing turnovers).

If there is one player that misses McHale's post-game tutelage the most, it would be D-Mo... along with the ability to probably calm him down and stroke his shattered ego enough to get some confidence back. (but at this point, its far more than just "mojo" or "confidence" when discussing D-Mo... he looks broken physically).

17. StrawberryJamm

The idea that Dmo is more of a liability than
    Dwight Howard when there are 4 minutes left in the game, when the opposing team has gone small and is consistently getting open 3's off of simple pick and rolls, when Harden or Beasley have it going offensively but can't get a shot off cause Dwight is at the free throw line praying he can make 1 of 2... It's laughable.

I'm not saying the man should be the starting center, just saying he has a different skill set than Howard or Cappella and I would attempt to play him when the situation obviously calls for it.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And what is that situation, exactly?

If they need points from somebody other than Harden, Beasley has shown the ability to get that at the same (if not better) efficiency that D-Mo showed last year. But as it is, we know that Harden will be relying on the high pick/roll to either finish or kick it out to somebody who can hit an open shot.

We also know that they won't be relying on him for defense/rebounding.

His stamina isn't up to par to keep up with anybody on the court right now (not big 5's, not small 5's, not average 4's).

A hobbled/ineffective/out-of-shape/hurt D-Mo really doesn't add anything to this team... doesn't add anything to any team.

19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He definitely deserves to, but I like his role right now. It best suits him to just be a pure scorer off the bench. He can be a legit 6th man of the year in this league that finishes games.

20. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. Beasley's so much better & it's CLEARLY obvious to anybody watching. Not sure what world you're living in sir