1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Triathalon]Just registered for my first sprint triathalon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It's a 250m swim/19 mile bike/5k run on May 14 and I'm already looking at some two month training schedules.

Can anyone offer any tips?

I haven't been in the pool since last summer, but I have pool access for the two months until the event. I'm a decent swimmer with good upper body strength, and I know its recommended not to burn leg strength kicking during the swimming portion.( reduce lactic acid in legs for running stage)

I'm an intermediate biker with a century under my belt, but more of a charity rider than a dedicated rider. That riding will come easy, so I think. I usually take 20 miles conditioning rides...average around 15 mph.

The 5k...ugh....I hate running. I have bad knees and my weight doesn't help me any. I deal with degenerative meniscus tears every time I start building up my run length. I've done 5k's and 10k's but if I could just avoid the running altogether, I would. I've begun to train by taking 3-4 mile power walks, and save my knees for the run itself, but that doesn't push my cardio. I find my muscles fine, but I'm sucking wind at the end of the run.

What worries me is that the run is after the swim and cycling. I'll take my gel packs, ibuprofen, and my perpectuem for sustained energy, and of course I'll carb load the days before the event.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

2. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Advice? Don't do triathlons. Running is clearly bad for you, and your body is telling you that. If you must do it, just walk the 5k, as some of your muscle that would normally help you is going to be worn out from the previous activity.

Also, if your knees hurt you may have crappy running technique. Look into POSE running technique, it stopped my knees from hurting.

3. IVFL

IVFL Member

Honestly the hardest part of the triathlon is the transitions from one activity to the next. I would just run if it felt okay, there is no need to be a hero, listen to your body.

For training I would run in waist deep water for a set amount of time and try to build up your cardio that way. You are using different muscle combinations in each event. That's why you have Frankenstein legs when you transition off the bike to the 5k. You need to put in the time on each event. On my first sprint I ignored the swimming component, huge mistake. I would have fared much better if I had trained for it.

Also, the best way to relieve stress off your knees is to drop weight, if you have any to drop. Even just 15 pounds can make a world of difference for your knees. Good luck,I actually look back fondly on my first sprint even though it was miserable while I did it. :grin:

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

drop weight, and also do body weight squats. in 6 months your knee pain has a fairly high possibility of being gone. i've seen it happen with several people over the years, knee pain and do those things and it's gone.

5. Falcons Talon

Thanks guys, I was out for spring break so I didn't have a lot of time to check in on this.

Gutter Snipe, I tried the POSE running as I do strike the ground heel first. It'll take a lot of getting used too. Heavy on the calves and Achilles tendon.

IVFL, I am working on dropping the weight. I'm at 250 right now, and I want to be at 225. I'm not too concerned about the time in transition...I just want to finish and hopefully not deadass last.

Pelincubus, I'm trying everything. Voltaren Gel, icing, light squats, leg extensions, ibuprofen, tart cherry juice, glucosamine....I know the weight drop will help and I'm working on that, and I know the next step is the old cortizonse shot. I may need some orthoscopic surgery to clean up the messes in my knees. I know I have arthritritis in there, and that's causing the degenerative meniscus problem.

6. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Welcome to the sport. I got into it 3 years ago and its very addicting. I have done a 70.3, multiple Olympics, and sprints.

My advise would be to just put the training in. I see tons of people who don't train and when you don't its just hell. Find a training plan online and stick with it. Running is always going to be hard, but so much of it is mental.

I would also practice bricking. Bike for an hour, then run. The hardest part for me has always been the bike/run transition.

I have found the sport very worthwhile. Gives you a reason to stay in shape, and if you do the work the events are a blast. Be careful though, it can get expensive quick.

Good Luck!

7. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Also- There is no reason to really carb load before the event. Yes eat carbs a few days before the event, but the last thing you want is to have a belly full of spaghetti the morning of!

8. Falcons Talon

Thanks. I have an 8 week plan with 2-3 bricks penciled in per week. Every Saturday, I plan on practicing all three events in a shortened version until I can build up to the full event. I'm pretty excited, just nervous about the dead legs after the cycling. I'm hoping the little experience I have on 60 and 100 mile rides helps.

9. Falcons Talon

Well, I did it and lived to tell about it. I set a personal time and paced myself to that. I showed improved in both swimming and cycling, but of course the running stayed the same, because of my knee pain,but I'm good with that.

I did have to tape my ankle because of a strained achilles tendon that I've been nursing.

All in all, I had a good time. I may look to shave about 15 minutes off my time next year if i decide to do it again...although, I may just scratch it off my bucket list and go fishing instead!

10. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Nice job man! Congratulations!

11. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sounds like you kept running even though it was "clearly bad for you."

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Congrats dude.

I would recommend getting some instruction on running form and some physical therapy for your knee if you plan to do this more regularly.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Congratulations FT!

We had several colleagues do this and I am tempted to jump in next time around.

15. Falcons Talon

dbl post...delete.

#15 Falcons Talon, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  16. Falcons Talon

Thanks Baumer.

I hardly did any running in my training, but I walked so much my feet had blisters. It paid off in the end, because I was able to run the 5k afterwards. That was my training plan all along...save the knees for the event.

I'm going to be working on dropping weight before I do any run training. The Hokka one ones I bought have really been good to my knees. I've realized i have a bad "toe out" run. I think that may be a big part of the problem on my knees. I'll address that after I lose about 30 lbs. I want to get down to about 225.

It really is an accomplishment for me. It wasn't an ironman, but a sprint tri. Regardless, not a bad job for a 45 year old 30 lb overweight guy with bad knees that hates to run.

[​IMG]

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

sick! nice job! :)