1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Free Agent News

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

They typically don't use either to cover anyone. Neither are good, but McKinney's athleticism will allow him to get better at it. Cushing was never that good at it, let alone now with most of his athleticism all but gone. When coverage capabilities are warranted, they get out of base and into nickel. Typically leaving the lone ILB to either spy or shadow a RB.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I would take a 6th-->4th upgrade over CJ Fied and A Hunt. I'd imagine that's why?

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Praying that Amendola gets cut. Would be perfect down here.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep, that was my suggestion a few days ago as well. He can play inside or out depending on Shorts and Strong. Could come at a bargain after his last couple of years. And would be a nice outlet for Brock to have

5. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Super Bowl champions always have a better cap situation than mediocre Houston. Thanks, Rick.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hate to state the obvious but... the defending champs aren't doing too well with the cap right now.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach Bill O'Brien says new <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> safety Antonio Allen can also play corner and special teams. <a href="https://t.co/QZDY2REQcS">pic.twitter.com/QZDY2REQcS</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/710225838516490240">March 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And what would happen if we draft Coleman.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Coleman plays outside while Amendola can play in the slot which we desperately need. I'd cut Shorts for Amendola if needed.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Amendola can return punts also

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a) then how did Houston outbid Super Bowl champion Denver for Osweiler?; 2) you're aware the Patriots just traded their best defensive player for cap relief, both now and down the road?

12. Nook

Nook Member

Concerning the Patriots and the Jones trade, time will tell.

The deal allowed the Patriots to add Long, Bennett and an OL that they really like.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

C'mon an OL that the really like? The guy has played like 5 games in 3 seasons, how can they really like him?

The move is basically to plan for the future, they have a lot of guys they are going to have to pay next season, at least 4 guys on the defense are up for new deals.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Patriots were high on him when he came out of the draft. He was a high first round pick, I would not be shocked at all if they get good production out of him, talent isn't an issue.

The Jones move financially allowed the Patriots to fill several holes. I would not be surprised at all if they are better after adding Long, Bennett and Cooper. The Patriots were first or second last season at rushing the passer, they have a lot of depth in that area.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They also added Shea McLellan.

I think they'll be better next year and are the favorites in the AFC going into the year. In fact I think they might be a significant favorite to make the superbowl.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Leverage!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> QB Brian Hoyer loves playing for head coach Bill O'Brien and doesn't intend on leaving Houston.</p>&mdash; Rand Getlin (@Rand_Getlin) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/710546942485377025">March 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't blame him for not wanting to stay. If he can beat out Savage for the #2 job, he has the chance to get in a game due to injury or incompetence. It'll be interesting to see if they can't get rid of him before the draft. If they don't, then I don't see them drafting a QB at any point.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right; they needed to create cap space to address multiple needs - and did so by trading perhaps their best defensive player: how is that a "better cap situation" than the Texans'?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL of course he loves playing for BOB, no other head coach would let him start. Ever.

Even if they did make that mistake, he'd likely get pulled really quickly and cut afterwards.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Need to protect the Sanchize. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources tell me that OT Russell Okung is close to finalizing a 5-year deal with the Denver <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> worth $10.6M per year.</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/710556703083790336">March 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

But in all seriousness, I'm guessing they're moving on from Ryan Clady.