1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

i have to disagree with you ON THAT PLAY. With no outs, Singleton and Correa hitting behind him, it was NOT the smart play. With 2 outs, yes. You don't make the first out at home plate unless you are certain you are going to make it.

2. conquistador#11

my friends, we still got that magic stick!

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You are arguing "traditional baseball"

Nick is talking about metrics, this organization uses metrics not traditional thinking

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It's Spring Training. Relax already.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Good to see Bagwell in uniform again. He's not aging well (for obvious reason), but the long season should keep him busy*

*idol mind, devil's playground

6. Buck Turgidson

They use both, just like every other team, depending on situations

He didn't need Spring Training, midseason form already.

7. Buck Turgidson

Signed to a minor league deal. He has an opt out date sometime at the end of March. Gives them another lefty in camp for guys to work against, much like Cotts. He may decide to go to Fresno for a bit if he can't find a big league gig. Great insurance policy, he pitched adequately for Texas last year. For a 7thish starter I don't see the problem.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that at least half of the 15-18 pounds of "muscle" that Singleton put on was in fact not muscle at all. Dude definitely looked stronger but he also just sort of looked fat. And his at bats did not look good at all, to me. I'm glad we have several other options for 1B that we can go with, because I just don't ever see Singleton pulling it all together.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I saw him last year in a minor league game in CO. It ended up being a rain delay and the players came up in the stands. Singleton actually looked in decent shape then, now he looks overweight. You would think he would have done everything possible this off-season to be ready to win this job. I just don't think he has the desire.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah I saw him on tv yesterday and unless "muscle" looks like a gut overhang, I suspect you're right.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Traditional vs Metrics?????

Well, i like BOTH, all depends in the situation in the game.

I don't agree sending a runner home, with no outs, and your top hitters coming to bat, UNLESS is almost 100 percent sure he will make it.

Now, if we are playing in a NL park, pitcher hitting, with 2 outs, send the runner.

I don't believe in extremes, we have to use ALL AVAILABLE resources, BUT THE RIGHT WAY and the RIGHT situation.

Today Reed and Bregman are playing, gooood.

So far Singleton has done NOTHING to win the spot at 1b.

12. cdastros

cdastros Member

Moran, Bregman, Stassi, Reed, Fontana starting in the infield today. Cool to see the future.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Springer continues to hit. Should he hit first or second in our lineup???
    I like him hitting first.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

Also has a cannon

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

yes, also range, gets walks, steal bases and hits homers. Also i believe his average will continue to improve, in the .280-.290 range.

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Colby Rasmus is a consummate professional, and I hope he retires as an Astro.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Altuve's stride and hand positioning look more natural thus far this spring. There is a lot less going on.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that's always the case when there's noticeable weight gain... They always say it's all muscle, but it's not.

Richard Hidalgo did not "overtrain" after signing his big deal in 2001... He got fat.

With regards to Singleton, just goes to show you that early money can be both a blessing and a curse. He's obviously not ready (not sure if he is ever going to get there), but the contract signing advanced his promotion, and his unearned place on the 40 man roster.

As far as not caring enough to "win" the job... Sometimes guys need to face the precipice to really start to take things seriously. He's going to have to find some sort of inner incentive besides just money.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hopefully one of them will step up, unfortunately the 3 main options have struggled, but it is also only 3 games into ST, so there is plenty of time to get it going.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's spring training Vato