1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Llull will NOT join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

This >>> Curry

2. rockets13champs

LLULL PLS COME TO THE NBA.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Holy crap.

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Im gonna do a Mygm in 2K but add Sergio Llull to the team sim the whole season and see what happens and what the record will look like with him on the team.

5. PeppermintCandy

I can't help wonder if the Rockets succeeded in bringing Lull over, this season might have turned out differently. A defensive-minded PG with some offensive game and a swagger could've helped rally the bench. Also, Morey might not have felt the need to chase after Lawson, and may have instead looked for much-needed frontcourt help.

I know that's a lot to assume about the effects of a Euro player unproven in the NBA, but it still makes me wonder.

6. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

And the horse he ride on!!!

7. conquistador#11

greatest full court shooter of ALL TIME! goat-est.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

greatest combo PG never played in the NBA?

Llulz

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Whoa Noah! Nice shot.

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He's never coming over.

What a shame.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not this guy again:rolleyes:.

12. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Faxk this guy.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Screw this guy.

14. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

The NBA needs Spanish commentators.

Doesn't matter I couldn't understand a word. That was exciting commentary.

15. sergio

sergio Member

I'll think about it.

16. The Hungarian Rocket

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There is no question that Morey should again pursue Llull to come over this Summer. The reasoning is simple.

Cap increase effects on current NBA free agent market.

This is the perfect Summer if you have rights to a top notch Euro player to bring him over. With the cap increases, current free agents are going to get significantly overpaid until the cap smooths over in a couple of years. You have the leverage to offer significantly more money than that player would make in Europe, and significantly less that an NBA free agent would cost.

If you own the rights to the player, they obviously can't negotiate with other NBA teams. You are really just competing against their current contract in Europe. And IF Gentile and/or Llull were to come over and be competent NBA players, their contracts would be a significant value add for this team.

I think Sergio's contract over in Europe is close to the equivalent of 2.5 million US dollars a year. His buyout is around 5 million dollars last year but has gone down quite a bit. If you give him a contract very similar in size & length to Corey Brewer & Ariza (current contract) and over three years he will be making an increase of at least 10 million US dollars. You can't tell me he wouldn't think about walking from the Euroleague for a chance at the NBA for an cool 10 mil extra....

In the NBA market do you really think you'd be able to get a competent combo guard for under 8 million a year? Maybe so, but I doubt it. Hell, Ty Lawson might get more than that this Summer after he's waived.

And then there is Gentile who I think could come over for much less as he's still on a very low contract as a younger player in Europe. If these guys show they can play in the NBA at all, those are great contracts. I think he's a great candidate to get an exception contract offer after the Rockets have already made their major moves. Llull might have to be signed with cap space slightly above the MLE.

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

It's insane to pursue foreign players this summer, knowing that Trump will deport them mid season.

19. dje243

dje243 Member

I really want him to come over but he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to be here.

20. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

He must be really happy in Spain to not come to the NBA after all these years.