1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have Cricket with a phone bought off contract.

$70 total for my wife and I. We each get 2.5 GBs since we're mostly on WiFi and are not data hogs. It works for us.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

it's tuesday, homie. just msg me through the board if interested. if not that's ok too. :)

3. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

If stedd isn't, let me know if the offer would be on the table! Would help me out of jam and it'd kill two birds with one stone with the $$ going to cf.

In any case, way to be generous dude. Repped.

1 person likes this.
  4. OmegaSupreme

thx man. dude said his phone broke so wanted to give him a shot.

anyhow, someone on the board msg'ed me through google hangouts within a couple of minutes of posting the offer a few days ago (stalker :grin:). if sted declines and the other guy declines, i'll just go through the posts to see who asked first and then do the tipjar thing.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Can't find it, thought I posted complaining about it but my AT&T 2 year plan ended middle of last year and I finally got around to looking for a new phone last fall as I stopped getting reception completely basically over a weekend in the Galleria area. It was so weird... went home on Friday and everything was fine, came back to the office on Monday and no longer got reception. No issues anywhere else. Don't know if AT&T was playing with their towers/bands at the time or what but don't really think it was the phone.

So started looking for a new phone and after pricing out plans found AT&T wanted to charge me the surcharge for the two year plan mentioned by robroy, which basically over two years basically paid the hardware subsidy that the carriers have provided in the past for signing two year plans. I was not getting charged this in my old bills though.

Would have preferred to stay on AT&T but between my phone stopping working in the middle of the city for what felt like no reason (friends suggested at the time it may have been due to AT&T switching around service on their bands) and what I felt were really misleading explanations of their plans and charges, decided to leave. At least the other providers that decided they didn't want to offer 2 year plans with subsidies were up front enough about it to stop offering them.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I believe it was me who asked first on this board :grin:

7. OmegaSupreme

;)

anyhow... sted, tried tacking on an extra day for you to respond. just gonna go ahead and do the tipjar thing with the next person.

the person i alluded to earlier, biggiestuff, msg'ed me after posting the offer. we'll setup a time to get it done.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, i've done that but I really don't like mozilla on the phone it seems slow and has some other little issues that bug me.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm on Sprint and will stay as i'm grandfathered in with unlimited data.

I'll probably get another 2 year plan and i'm currently up for a new phone.

I've got a G3 and I really like it, but I want a removable battery, option to add memory, water proof if possible, and 3+ gigs of RAM. Seems that everything is octocore now so whatever I get will have plenty of power.

The G4 was the natural upgrade, but reviews seem very mixed. The Note is awesome, but i'm not sure I want something that large. It seems like there were a lot more waterproof phones out a year or so ago, but now i'm not seeing as many. I'm too tied in to the android universe to consider Apple. As it stands now Galaxy S6 is my leading candidate, but i'll wait to see the S7.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Get the Note 4. You'll get over the size in 1hr.
    You're welcome .

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The next generation of phones is about to come out. If you're still running on 2 year contracts with subsidized phones, wait a few months for the next set of phones to come out.

The galaxy S6 and Note 5 are fine but the battery life is absolutely terrible and Touchwiz still causes performance issues. (LG's Android skin isn't that much better though and I personally hate LG's UI)

Also not all Sprint grandfathered plans are money savers as some of their current unlimited plans via Best Buy are still good deals.

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Samsung is absolutely HORRIBLE at rolling out their updates. I'm starting to think Marshmallow is just a myth.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

G4 just got 6.0 today, but this is easily the worst phone I have ever had....

14. Falcons Talon

How is it? Did it help out your G4? I realize you just got it, so you need time to play with it, but initial thoughts?

The Edge I have is pretty sweet, aside from the fact that there are not waterproof cases for it, but the updates come soo slow, especially for a flagship phone

#914 Falcons Talon, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  15. geeimsobored

The funny thing is that Samsung promised that they'd be the first manufacturer to update their flagship devices to Android 6.0.

16. Falcons Talon

Korea is already getting the 6.01 beta.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

S6 and Note 5 don't have removable batteries.

18. geeimsobored

I'm aware of that. I was just commenting on how bad the battery life is as a whole on those since he said he was considering upgrading to the S6. There are plenty of phones with non-removable batteries that are just fine but the S6 and Note 5 are not part of that group.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I went from a rooted S3 to an S6 (Verizon). The two things I like best are the Samsung Pay app and WiFi calling (I moved to the sticks outside Montgomery, and the cell coverage near my house is so weak the wifi calls are often the only clear ones I make).

That said, waiting on Marshmallow will be as frustrating as getting a working root. Samsung released 6.0 to Korea and will next go to Poland, but I suspect it will be many months before I see it here in the States (blame more to Verizon). And even then, it will only be 6.0, while most are already getting or have 6.0.1. And Marshmallow will be important to the S6 since Doze makes a big difference on battery life.

The slowness in getting the MM update is especially frustrating as I have been running running 6.0.1 on my HP TouchPad for months... an almost five year old device that wasn't even intended to run Android (instead, webOS), that was abandoned by the manufacturer.

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I would definitely wait a month ot so to see what Samsung and LG has up their sleeves with the new Galaxy S7 and G5. They both look interesting. The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge will have bigger batteries and micro sd card if the rumors are true. The G5 is rumored to have a 'magic slot' that we don't know much about yet. LG's event is on 2/21, so it won't be long until we find out.