1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Steph Curry the GOAT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Nope. He is playing in the weakest era of Basketball.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you mean GOAT as

[​IMG]

his greatest time was only a 2 year span and someone said before not the most competitive era of all time

3. BinBinRingRing

Too soon man. To be even in the conversation of the GOAT u need at least multiple MVPs and multiple championships.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And to not be a career 22 and 7 player. Great numbers, but laughable to say GOAT-worthy because of his last two years alone.

5. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JbxLsqJIdsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I don't get this talk, man. He's having one good year after a title and everyone wants to say he's the best of all time?

I don't get the love for Curry and the sheer hate for Lebron in this discussion. Lebron at the same age was twice the player Curry is right now, especially defensively. I'm not even a huge lebron fan but how soon people forget...

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

"Curry is the greatest shooter of all time" might be a fairer assessment rather than the GOAT statement. I'd wait until his career is over before calling him a GOAT. For all we know, this could be the only Championship he wins (not likely with the way the Dubs are playing).

LeBron... not sure how I rank him. Top 10 for sure I suppose. But then, he can give another 3-4 good years before his body falls apart.

8. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

At the very least, Curry is the greatest shooter I've ever witnessed in the past 20 years I've watched the league as a kid. He might be the greatest shooter of all time, but I can't judge that, since I wasn't born when a lot of the greats played, though statistical analysis will probably back this up.

I've never seen someone put up these kind of numbers from the 3 point line with ease. With that said, I don't think he's the GOAT.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I agree, I think you could put a blindfold on the guy and he'd still make buckets. Effortless shooting form and to knock down that out of bounds shot 50ft from the basket is fun to watch.

10. Handles

Handles Member

GSOAT yes. But not the GOAT.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

You need at least 2 or 3 Finals MVPs to be in the conversation IMO.

Greatest shooter of all time tho, I'm comfortable saying that.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not GOAT but once his career is done Steph Curry will be:

- The greatest shooter of all time (already is)
    - Top 3-5 PG of all time, more likely top 3
    - Top 25 player of all time.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Too soon. We'll see how his little body holds up as he gets older. Already had ankle issues and even this season has had lower leg issues.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

People already forgot he wasn't even Finals MVP for his team last year. He is having one of the greatest seasons of all time so far, but one season doesn't make a career.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Agreed, we need to see more of him to start threads like this.

16. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

FWIW: His lithe build should be an advantage in his staying power as it puts less strain on his tendons.

The real question is: IF he has the best season of all time, where would that accomplishment rank him?

Amount of accolades is definitely defining the GOAT, but highest ceiling ever(if he gets there) is not out of the discussion either.

It's simply too soon to say Curry is the GOAT. But it's not a completely idiotic discussion if he could become the GOAT in the future considering we are looking at someone who by certain objective metrics is playing at a never seen before level.

That said: as usually are the odds against him. There can only be one :cool:

17. dragician

dragician Member

18. omgTHEpotential

PER is a very offense-driven stat. When you analyze stats you always have to be able to interpret them to get a good picture. A guy with 15 PER might be a much, much better player than a guy with 22-25 PER.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's slowing down a lot. He had one of the best offensive starts in history, but let's judge by the end of the year.

GOAT is laughable though. Worse than the DRose hype after his MVP.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's very rare, because that's almost 7-10+ plus percentage points that's a huge metric disparity. Unless the the lesser player is a DOMINANT defender, not merely a good one. A dominant defender to the point of effecting in the entire offense on the other team. 22-25 PER player is most likely an efficient player offensively, as well as being a dominant scorer with good statistic across the board.

The 15 PER player, if they were more efficient, would have a higher PER.