1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Spav should be the WR coach. This offense looks nothing like it did when Kingsbury was at the helm. As for the bowl game, didn't watch and didn't care - win or lose. None of these games matter.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Spavital has never coached receivers as a position coach. He came up through the ranks as a QB coach, and that position is also where he shines as a recruiter. I would like to see Spav returned to QB coach and also see Christensen relieved of his duties and new RB and OL coaches hired by the new OC.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Praise the lawd!

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Texas-AM-parts-ways-with-OC-Spavital-42520673

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Any OC might have to suffer through an unproductive year before we get Tate Martell, though.

Who's a good candidate to become the next Aggie OC?

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Shawn Watson :)

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Off topic a bit, this might be the best time for Sumlin to jump ship to the NFL.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think the best time for Sumlin to go to the NFL was a couple of years ago. I don't really see Sumlin as a hot commodity anywhere at this point. Maybe I'm wrong though.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Might be a stretch, but with Cleveland set to fire Pettine, I could see Cleveland bringing in Sumlin to mentor Johnny.

But I agree - Sumlin's stock was never higher during the Manziel days.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, as a now failed college head coach, it would be weird for an NFL team to let him be a head coach. If he wants to go to the NFL, it would have to be as a coordinator. Other than that, after A&M fires him, it'll be looking for another job at a lower tier school to work on his reputation.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll repeat what I've said since Sumlin went to A&M: An NFL team would have to be insane to give him a head coaching job. So maybe the 49ers or Browns would be interested.

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/texas-ams-kevin-sumlin-seeking-nfl-job

Report: Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin seeking NFL job

[​IMG]

In the wake of a disappointing finish to the 2015 season, Kevin Sumlin may be considering other options.

The Texas A&M coach is “trying hard” to get to the NFL, according to NFL Network’s Mike Silver.

Sumlin has come under scrutiny of late after two of his highly touted quarterbacks — Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen — announced they would be transferring out of Texas A&M.

The Aggies started the year 5-0 but lost five of their final eight games to close out the season, including a 27-21 loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl.

In December, it was reported that Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp was unhappy with the direction of the program and was working to terminate Sumlin’s contract — a report that Sharp later vehemently denied. Sumlin also expressed plenty of skepticism.

Sumlin just wrapped up his fourth season in College Station, Texas, where he boasts an overall record of 36-16 and a 17-15 mark in the SEC. Texas A&M’s loss to Louisville marked the school’s first bowl game loss during Sumlin’s tenure.

Some of the NFL head coaching positions that could possibly open up include the Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans. Sumlin could also potentially be in the mix for an assistant coaching position.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Rumors tied the two parties together initially, and not it's official that former OU quarterback Trevor Knight is transferring to A&M.

He has to be considered the odds-on favorite to be the Aggies' starter in 2016.

13. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Since Hubenak is likely going to be the only other scholarship QB on the roster (barring a late flip of some 3*) I'd say that's likely.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They would definitely have to be insane. Figured it was impossible. Then I realized how many openings there were and how little fresh blood is out there. If he was good in an interview and found the right OC & DC he might be able to fool someone. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed to abandoning his current style of offense completely as part of an NFL rebrand.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Kyle Allen to UH. Now the Cougs fan will come here to troll. Crazy to think he will sit out a year too. While I question Sumlin on why this kid left I also question why he would make the decision to leave. Just seems like a step back for his career. Not a shot at UH just that he has to sit out an UH staff may not be there when he does play.

16. Nook

Nook Member

A better chance that the UH staff will be there in 2017 than the A&M staff will be in 2017.

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I am still hoping Jalen Hurts commits to A&M.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

It wasn't really a comparison between A&M and UH staff. Mainly UH staff and any other team in the country that wanted Allen. UH head coach may stay if he is the 2nd coming of Art Briles (Hates UT but loves Texas) but his assistants will not stay around making potato chips compared to the Head coach. Assuming they have another successful season, his assistants will be snatched up if he himself is not.

Either way, Allen shouldn't choose a school based on a coaching staff which it seems is what he did at A&M tying himself to Spavital which turned out to be a struggle. I really think Allen wanted a place that isn't under as much scrutiny and competition/controversy so it may be the best place for him. Just surprising he didn't seem to have a place in mind once he made the decision to transfer but I guess he took his time and found the right place for him.

Anyways, enough about him. I will be rooting for Trevor Knight and any other QB's we have that want to be at A&M and compete for the position. Hopefully Sumlin can get some bright offensive minds in the program and get his offensive mojo back now that we have a respectable defense.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Allen should have just stayed at TAMU and waited for Herman.:p

AD just quit.

What's going on at TAMU?

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don't see Herman going to TAMU. He is not a big fan of politics or boosters. He hated it at Ohio State University and has discussed it candidly in the past.

TAMU will be fine, they are going through growing pains since joining the SEC. They are the only Texas school in the most fertile recruiting ground in the world. They only need a stable very good coach and they can cause some real damage. I do think that the fans/boosters at A&M need to calm down a little. I don't think that Sumlin is the answer there either; but they are now in the SEC and play a very tough schedule.