1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I see I wasn't the only one to make the silly argument of A&M not being able to get stud black athletes. :)

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i got 4.25 > 2.74%

regardless it's a factor at some point and to some extent.

there are also many people that would prefer a smaller town atmosphere especially right of high school.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Where are you getting those numbers? I'll cite my sources tomorrow, both came from the school's websites.

Yeah, sure, it's a factor. At the end of the day TAMU produces high draft picks that include players like - Von Miller, Martellus Bennett, Michael Bennett, Acie Law, Antoine Wright, Damantre Moore, Luke Joekel, Jake Mathews, Khris Middleton, Ryan Tannehill, Deandre Jordan, Mike Evans, Christine Michael, Johnny Manziel, yada, yada, yada.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You can keep calling it a factor, but it's really, really not. You keep saying "small town" as if TAMU is on a desert island with no communication with the outside world. Have you ever spent any extended time on campus? Outside of going to a few specific restaurants, there is absolutely no reason for any student to wander into the outskirts of Bryan or College Station. TAMU has one of the largest student bodies in the country, and has a pretty vibrant campus life. Oh, and did I mention that it's 90 miles from the 4th largest city in the United States?? Nothing about Texas A&M (outside of the fact that it's a major agricultural university) says "small town" anymore. Those days are gone.

And don't get me wrong....I'm not saying that it's the same as being located in downtown Austin. It's not. Austin is and always will be a better TOWN to be in. I'm saying that for a 19 year old student-athlete that's probably only interested in girls, partying, playing football, and having an overall FUN college life, TAMU offers everything that UT does. And don't underestimate the pull of playing in the SEC while still remaining in Texas. It's a big one, and one of the major reasons TAMU will not fall off the radar in terms of recruiting.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

\

Baker Mayfield only has one year of eligibility left. So when Murray can start playing, it will get to compete right away for the starting job.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He goes to a more prestigious program with a better chance at getting into the playoff and the job is his once he's eligible. It makes a lot of sense actually.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess by going to OU, Murray is betting the farm on himself. If he doesn't measure up, you can be sure Stoops will have alternatives.

I don't think he can be a starting QB at a big-time program and my bet is he won't be the opening game starter in 2017.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The thing about OU, he'll have a great opportunity to put up numbers in a system he's comfortable with. No SEC defense to worry about, stud WR's, competent OC, a few solid big games scheduled out of conference, close to home, wide open offense.

It's a good choice IMO. Just sucks to see Texas lose one of its studs to OU. Prefer to keep the HS legends in-state.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A&M getting absolutely worked by Louisville early in the 2nd quarter

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, nice run by the big fellow Carson.

Then the Louisville player takes a dive to catch his breath lol....

Then...TD Aggies. 6pt game...

8play 97 yard drive. Not bad....

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

AYY LMAO

Louisville

1 person likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

What bowl game was Rice in? BigLOSER doing what he does best. Gloating at another University losing.

15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Any truth to Sumlin getting fired? An Aggie friend just texted me.. umm.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think he'll get fired, but his stock is a lot more negative than positive, right now. He's definitely going to be under intense scrutiny from now on.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I doubt he will be fired. $20M buyout at this point.

However...it will be interesting to see if he makes any changes on the offensive staff. If not, he is betting his tenure on Jake Spavital. No changes and similar results next year and he will be gone.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Have heard that they will try to fire him for cause if they decide to part ways.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

He needs to get rid of Spav. A&M has immense talent on both sides of the ball, but when you have Allen/Murray, Seals-Jones, Kirk, and Reynolds (to name a few), you shouldn't be as bad as you were, this year.

Not all of it is on Spav, but most of it is.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

No doubt. The play calling was the worst I have seen in a long time. The offense looked lost out there most of the season. There is no way he should be the OC next season.

That said, if he is willing to take a demotion, I would expect him to be on staff in a lesser capacity as he is a fantastic recruiter.