1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 1/2 Pick and Roll: Please make it stop!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't stand this play. It's logical on paper, but it's not working a lot if at all.

I mean I get it, you want a smaller player on Harden... fine. If you're going to do it, how about starting with more than 11 second on the shot clock.

But I suggest they not run it at all anymore.

Or, I don't know, here's a CRAZY!!! idea, how about run Harden down through some picks on the baseline and THEN back up to the perimeter to immediately set a pick for the PG... you know, create some defensive confusion.

I really really really HATE this "play"

2. lean

lean Member

Couldn't agree more. I hate when this becomes our offense late in games, the worst part is that it puts the ball in Beverley's hands in crucial situations and he's just not a good playmaker. Majority of the time the screen doesn't even seem to work, Bev's defender goes under and there's no switch, it just wastes a bunch of time. The worst is when both defenders get caught up on Harden, suddenly you have Beverley in space trying to create a shot which, imo, is not something you want during crucial late game possessions.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You want Harden to run through picks down the baseline?

Come on, he's not gonna do that

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That part was funny.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

Creators don't run.

1 person likes this.
  6. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

The reason they wait til 10s on the shot clock is because most teams have set defensive rules to switch all PnR's when the clock is at 10 or lower. It does seem like teams have figured this out as our pet play though, and are successfully fighting through picks instead of switching.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Usually ends with Harden shooting a tough shot anyway cause he only has like 8 seconds to make move.

Need to initiate it faster not drain the shot clock

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I would love to see Harden ISO (I know thats a bad word) on the wing and have Lawson cut to the basket from the top of the key they would score every time.

9. j3i

j3i Member

I don't think that would work. The defender will not play up on the shooter closest to Harden to prevent this. It's one of the reasons Harden's "pass off the ball with 3 seconds left" shenanigans actually ends with a shot attempt. Not to mention the opposing center is usually shadowing on the strong side so Harden would have to thread the needle through 3 defenders to the cutter.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That thing used to work a lot better a couple years ago. Not sure if it's a matter of personnel or execution.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lol by the time Harden runs through picks, the 24sec shot clock will expire

He is one of the slowest movers in the court amongst wing players

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No Howard would be setting a pick near the top of the key for while Ariza and Tjones/Dmo spot up for three on the weak side. So no one else would be near Harden. The Center guarding Dwight could lag a little but he might get an offensive 3 sec. If you have Lawson start on the weakside and roll around Dwight.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The Mchale picks. This originated way back when Patrick Patterson was here. It does nothing but cause turnovers

14. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

It's Hardens pet play.. he thinks he is Dirk. He has the correct thought in mind, but start the play a whole lot sooner.. I mean get the ball up in 4 secs. In 5 secs work that post play. 15 secs to make something. Have some one like Ariza cut off of a big Screen, maybe works for a play, if it doesn't you still have under 10 secs. Then do your Iso work.
    When you dribble it up at the 17 second mark. You handicapped your own team. It's not much that this is a bad play, but more of a bad play with wrong shot clock management. Imo.

15. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Maybe run it on the block, instead of the top of the key. That way when Harden gets a shorter guy on him, he can treat it like a post up, instead of forcing a last second three.

16. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

The problem with that is the big man double team. Seal of the middle and force him to pass back out.
    It is a good idea for him, because he can (with work) beat his man out the dribble into the post, force the double team and pass to the open big. Enough space to operate.
    If that's not it, he can sig step back and hit the 3