1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs sign former BYU star Jimmer Fredette

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 22, 2015.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That - and also division 1 college basketball.

Not commenting on his NBA game, just saying that he isn't your average YMCA guy.

This will be a good test of whether the "Spurs effect" is real.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

He made three wrong career choices already:

1. He worked out for Sacramento before the NBA draft and impressed the Maloofs, who drafted him.

2. After being released by the Kings, he chose to play Tom Thibodeau, who valued defense more than anything else. Jimmer played no defense.

3. He chose to sign with the Pelicans last year, when they had tons of shoot-first point/combo guards.

Lastly, Jimmer simply sucks as a NBA player. Now, Pop is his last hope to have a meaningful career here. I doubt it will work, but this is his best/only shot.

1 person likes this.
  3. Steve_Francis_rules

Wow. You're really going out on a limb there. Barring injuries, they may make the Finals.

4. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Patty is scrappy, but he's average defender at best, being short & lack of meaningful wingspan. If you want to find a better comparison, going no further than Gary Neal that plays for the Spurs for 3 seasons, IIRC.

An undersized, slow shooting guard who is uncomfortable off the dribble, but fearless & have no conscious in shooting long range bomb. ****ty defender too, but willing to be coached & playing in a role. Neal's shooting motion is much smoother though, quick & consistent release.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Agreed, I was obviously exaggerating for effect. I do question the "Spurs effect". I for one think it should be called "The Duncan Effect". If you combine maturity and talent, nobody did it better. There was no "Spurs Effect" before Duncan. We might get to see that as evident this year if even with the addition of Aldridge, it isn't enough to counter Duncan's aging body.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Jimmer probably didn't have many options other than playing in Europe or China but I wouldn't have signed with a stacked club like the Spurs, the Knicks need shooters on min deals he would have been a better fit for them and he would have a better shot at making the squad there. Glens Fall kid playing for a state team couldn't have hurt either.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes and no. They don't make all players look good. They make system guys look good. Jerry Sloan was also a good coach for that effect. Some guys thrive in that environment and look like they've maximized their potential; other guys wither in that environment and soon find themselves on the outs.

But, Jimmer feels like he's the right system guy. I could see him prospering on the Spurs. If he can't make it there, he's probably out of opportunities in the NBA.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Shandon Anderson says hi. Hahaha

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm, in that case it feels like we're narrowing the definition too much. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - dude plays well, it's the Spurs effect. If he doesn't, he's not a system guy.

I'm a big Jimmer fan; went to BYU at the same time as Jimmer. But it's up to him to carve out a niche and put in the work.

I think this will be a good test of whether the Spurs can take a guy with obvious weaknesses and use him in a way that maximizes his strengths. If not, maybe the guys on the Spurs are just good, and some guys just aren't good - there is no "Spurs effect" (aka polishing a turd).

#29 napalm06, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're probably right about that, if the point is to prove the effect. I'm already convinced it's real though.

11. sefril

sefril Member

halo! sesama orang Indonesia nih :grin: bedanya gw fans Rockets dari jaman Hakeem..
    *pake bahasa inggris aja nih komennya biar pada ngerti*

i dont really watch Patty and Gary game, but from what i remember Patty is more like scoring point guard while Gary is undersized shooting guard..

as for Jimmer, yeah i think this is his last chance to became meaningful player in NBA (role player instead of journeyman/china league)

12. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Halo juga om, yup ngefans jg sm Hakeem, masih ingat iklan dia pas zaman SMA dulu, Hakeem masuk k dalam hall basket yg ada anak2 lg latihan, trus salah satu ngomong "Hakeem Olajuwon !!". :D Tp gw ga pernah ngefans sm team nya sih, hehehe, that's why there's Spurs in the nickname, and it ain't from Tottenham soccer team. :grin:

Gary Neal is rather slow at the shooting guard spot, he is like a turtle playing point guard, luckily he was always with Manu off the bench, masking a lot of his deficiencies as playmaker.

Mills ? That Australian fella is quick, but IMHO he was never a point guard, despite having a decent ball handling abilities. He is not much of a playmaker, limited court vision, and such a gunner mentality. That's fine though, again, playing with Manu off the bench helps him tremendously.

I can sense a bit of parallel with Lin fans & haters dynamic here regarding Jimmer's reception among Spurs fans, at least in the online forum. Most taking a very skeptical approach, but some noobs seems quite fanatical of him, it's like a cult, hehehe. :D

13. 25CookemHarden

It's it sad that I am turning into a spurs fan? My wife is a spurs fan and grew up in San Antonio, so our house is divided, sort of...

My daughter is a rockets fan because she loves red and I am way more animated than my wife is in regards to cheering. Also we advance further so we saw a lot more Rockets game last playoffs. And I took her to a Mavs/Rockets game in Dallas. -Dallas fans actually boo'd my 2 year old daughter.

Despite this everything I love about bball is embedded into San Antonio Bball. So I can not help but to be a fan of that organization.. Also my wife would whoop my @ss if I wasn't a semifan..

Strongly believe Jimmy going to look stout if he sticks with the spurs...

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Breh...

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The San Antonio Spurs are waiving guard Jimmer Fredette today, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/656851170464546816">October 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

So much for that

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Shaking my head

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Adam Morrison 2.0

20. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Klay Thompson
    Alec Burks
    Morris Twins
    Kawhi Leonard
    Nikola Vucevic
    Tobias Harris
    D-Mo
    Nikola Mirotic
    Reggie Jackson
    Jimmy Butler
    Chandler Parsons

All those players went AFTER Fredette. Such fail.