1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camera recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anyone know of a good entry level DSLR?

Have never had much of an urge to take many photos, but with baby on the way I'm sure that will change. I know nothing about cameras or photography, so I don't know anything about brands, specs, lenses, etc. I don't know what's good or what to avoid.

Also, the cheaper the better, of course. $300ish is about as much as I can justify to myself. I have no issue with refurb if that is a wise way to go.

There's a good chance I won't actually pull the trigger until Black Friday just cuz, but at this point I don't know what to look for in a camera. Any input would be appreciated.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looking for something similar as well. Looks like there are some great options in the $500 range (new).

I was also looking into mirrorless as an option over dslr but I've only just started my research into those .

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ha... I started a similar thread just over two years ago before my daughter was born.

Also and FWIW, 95% of all the pics I have of my daughter come from either me or my wife's iPhones. You'll become a pro at capturing the perfect light and anticipating your little one's smile for that perfect pic. Congrats becoming a father! Nothing like it.

4. hvic

hvic Member

is there a reason why you are leaning towards a good entry level DSLR? I recommend a point and shoot with the option RAW feature would be a better fit such as the Sony RX100 series. great camera and small enough to fit into your pocket.

5. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, here's the deal:

It doesn't matter which DSLR you get if you don't know for sure how to use it. I don't mean that in a negative way, so please don't take offense. I am just meaning to say, DSLRs have an 'Auto' mode on them for a reason, and unfortunately, the vast majority of people who buy them end up using that mode because it's the only one they can use which will give them halfway decent pictures.

Problem is, in that case, it's literally no better than an $80 point-and-click camera. Don't spend 400-500 bucks for an $80 point-and-shoot. NEVER use 'auto' mode on a DSLR.

Having said that, if you are willing to put in the time to learn, you will be able to take some great pictures of the new baby :)

The biggest question really starts with: what are your long-term plans for the camera? When you buy into a camera, you are actually buying into a camera ecosystem, you end up having to mostly stick with that brand's accessories, primarily lenses, and believe it or not, the lenses are where you will spend the majority of your money if you end up getting into it to any real degree.

So for that reason, I would recommend sticking with either Nikon or Canon, because there are a huge amount of lenses out there, especially pre-owned, which will give you lots of options and help keep your costs down while still giving you great quality photographs. Yes, you could look at other camera brands like Sony, or Pentax, or Fuji, things like that.. and the cameras are fine, but your selection of lenses and accessories is going to be so paltry by comparison that your prices in the long run will be much higher.

Personally, I like Nikon. In fact, since I recently upgraded to the D5200, I am looking to sell my beloved D3200, so someone will end up getting a very nice camera at a good price some time soon.

Whatever brand you get though, get yourself a couple of Speedlights (off-camera portable flash units, like Yongnuo or Neewer), a couple of portable folding softboxes, and a couple of light stands for them, and also get a remote trigger set for them to work with your camera.

Get a nice f1.8 prime lens (you shouldn't need a big zoom lens for taking baby pictures).

Always make sure your shutter speed is at least twice the focus length (mm number) of the lens (this will make sure you don't get 'action blur' in your shots).

Learn: How to set your ISO - and PRACTICE with the different settings in the SAME light in order to see the difference the different settings make. The smaller the number, the LESS light you are letting in to the sensor - in other words, 'bright sunny lighting = very low ISO (iso 100).. as opposed to children playing in shadows at dusk = very high ISO (iso 800 or higher). Caution: the higher this number goes, the more 'grainy noise' will be in your picture, so be careful with it.

Learn: How to adjust your Aperture (that's the 'f-stops'.. 'f-stops??' What the heck is that? Just remember that the number on an F-stop is really a FRACTION - ie always put a 1/ over the number.. hence the smaller the number, technically the BIGGER that number is - in other words, 1/4 is a bigger number than 1/22, right? Same thing. The bigger the number, the more light is let into the sensor, AND, the narrower the focus is, so with, say, f/2.0 you would get the baby close up in focus, but the background would be blurry. On the other hand, with say f/16, both the baby AND the background would also be in focus. That's how you control that kind of picture.)

Learn: How to set your shutter speed. Again, this is a fraction, in this case a fraction of a second. Shutter speed is what keeps moving objects clear instead of blurred. The longer the shutter stays open, the more likely something is going to blur. The general idea is to keep your shutter speed at least twice the number on your lens. So say you have a 50mm lens, well, you want your shutter speed to never really drop below 1/100th of a second. (better to stay above 1/160 really). Nothing sucks worse than having blurred or out-of-focus pictures of a baby. This will help.

Those are the three main pillars you have to learn, although there are about a zillion more things and variations to learn as well, but those three will help the most.

(Regarding the 'speedlights' mentioned above: They are easy to use, you set them up generally left and right of your subject, set the shutter speed to 1/160, and start experimenting with the levels, and settings on your camera, and you will be amazed at the quality of photos you will make. This is of course for times when you are at home or some place where you can take the time to set up lights like that, and not 'on the go' out somewhere )

So you need a camera which will be relatively easy for you to control and manipulate those settings whenever you need to do so. And unlike a 'point-and-shoot', you WILL need to manipulate and change those settings often, depending on the light and setting at any given time. Nikon does a pretty good job of this. I can't speak to how Canon does it, but I would assume they have made it as easy as possible as well.

As long as you are willing to put in some time to learn how to manage those settings, how they work together, and how you need to make the camera react, depending on the light and setting, then you will be able to take some shots which can last you a lifetime.

Good luck! :)

(And yes, I teach beginning DSLR photography classes as a side thing :) )

4 people like this.
  6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I would disagree with this advice. Kids move around a lot, going to need the faster shutter that a DSLR offers (and I have yet to see a P&S that can compete regularly with that function).

Besides that do what Nero said, look for something in your price range and get to know it. If you can find something with a faster lens (f/2.8 or f/2.0) that is still a variable zoom lens, even better. :)

Once you get used to and decide you want to get some better shots, look for a fast prime lens (e.g. fixed focal length f/2.8 or lower) in 35mm or 50mm, these are fantastic for people shots.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's a lot to think on. Hmmmmmmmmm.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

IMO the best upgrade from all the point and shoot cameras...but without the bulk of the DSLR...is the sony mirrorless cameras. It has the same APSC sensor from the dslr cameras without the weight/size.

I am traveling with 2 of them on my italy trip right now. So easy to carry around and you don't look like a wedding photographer.

Unfortunately like Nero said..the first thing people want is a DSLR camera because they assume every pic out of a DSLR looks like a professional picture. Even with all the right settings, there are so many other factors..the most important being post processing.

DSLR camera with stock lens + auto mode ...waste of money.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

10. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Save up and get this:

http://www.light.co/

Way out of your price range, but looks like an amazing point and shoot camera.

11. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Sony A5100/A6000.
    Samsung NX300/NX30/NX Mini.
    Canon Rebel SL1.
    Canon EOS M.
    Nikon 1 J5.

All pretty much in the same price range. Slap a f/1.8 prime lens (28mm-50mm) on it and that'll get you started.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I personally have a Nikon D3200 which seems like the perfect entry DSLR, had it since May. Not going to lie, I do use the Auto mode a lot, still getting adjusted the use the other modes in the right situations. I've seen the D3200 new with your basic lens for $320 (i've seen it as low as $300)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3200...b165bf&rmvSB=true&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

while I've seen a set for the same price with an 3 total lenses for $360

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22167881328...me=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

If you want to the in between point/shoot and DSLR route, the Nikon 1 series are great based on their portability and still take fantastic pictures. Got the Nikon 1 J1 last year, loved it, then accidentally dropped it beginning of the year in NY, replaced it with the S1 body only since I was still able to use the same lenses

Here is a Nikon 1 S2 with lens for $170

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....e=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850

If you are willing to take the time to learn the features of DSLR, then get one, if you are just going to use auto mode, look into the Nikon 1 series.

#12 Dave2000, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Speaking from experience, if you were never really into photography (and by that I mean taking beautiful photographs, not the gadgetry aspect of it or "But I love taking selfies" or "Look at what I'm having for lunch" aspect of it), having a kid isn't going to change all that. The DSLR will just be a deadweight. As photographers are fond of saying, the best camera is the one that you have with you.

Get an iPhone.

14. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Haha, history repeats itself. I bet this thread starter will also run out and buy a dedicated camera despite the voices of reason. ;)

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thank you. Words of wisdom I will heed, as I really need to up my selfie game. So I'm glad to hear that DSLRs are the way to go.

16. Nero

Nero Member

If you decide to look at 'mirrorless' cameras, all the same things apply, because a good mirrorless camera is for all intents and purposes functionally a DSLR, you have almost all the same controls over the settings I mention above, so the learning curve is the same. The benefit, as noted above, is that mirrorless cameras tend to be smaller, about the same size as a fat point-and-shoot.

Of those, the best quality images are actually going to come from Olympus, in my opinion. Of course, the same thing applies about the lenses - because the mirrorless are not nearly as common, neither are the lenses, and they can be very expensive compared to the same types you can find on your standard Nikon and Canon DSLR's.

So like I said, the first thing you really need to ask yourself is, what are your long term plans?

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For me, phone and DSLR. I have P&S but stop using it once phone quality is top notch.

In good lighting, phone = P&S. In poor lighting, the only thing that work is DLSR with a fast lens (or flash, but that's a whole angle that involve learning lighting technique -- otherwise you get pretty bland photos with lack of depth IMO)

Mirror-less is attractive (small size with the promise of DSLR quality). I found it (at least a year ago) not to par to DSLR and not greatly better than a good phone in good lighting. Plus, it's very expensive (you pay for the size). I would rather spend the money on a basic DSLR and invest in a prime lens.

Usage - phone is your everyday, everywhere camera. DSLR (I have a D700 full frame so bigger than typical consumer DSLR) is for special occasion and sometime just to capture pictures of kids and families.

I think I disagree with the "if you use auto", DSLR is worthless. I would absolutely advise that you learn the basic of photograph and DSLR, but even if you don't, if you can afford it, a camera with a fast lens in full auto or aperture priority mode is still great when combined with a fast lens.

18. waste55

waste55 Member

I know its not a DLSR but I've been happy with my recent Sony a6000 purchase.

Been lots of sales on it recently too.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

It has an APS-C sensor which is found in Nikon and Canon DSLRs.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Haymitch - I made the mistake of thinking I need a entry level dslr twice. Purchased a Canon t3i bundle awhile back, sold it, bought the Sony Nex-5 bundle.

Honestly, I'm too lazy to learn how to use it to its full potential and I would've been better off with a Sony RX100 (wasn't out at the time).

A lot of these guys give good advice, and decide for yourself if you're willing to dedicate the time to learn it before you buy it. I've seen some amazing pictures from cell phone cameras.