1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stingiest restaurant chains

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by likestohypeguy, Oct 7, 2015.

1. likestohypeguy

Fast food or otherwise, eg no refills, charging for extra bbq sauce, "you already have A napkin in the bag", etc.

Anyone worse than subway?

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

The mom and pop chinese restaurants usually charge fifty cents for refill on soda. Pisses me off. Pay $1.29 for a drink that costs then a dime.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, you agree to take their foot long and they want you to pay for extra sauce?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

BIBs cost around $70 each.

320 12 oz servings in a 5 gal bib.

That's around .20cents a soda. Add cost of cup around 27 cents a drink.

The restaurant deserves to make profit.

5. aggie87

aggie87 Member

Jakes Philly cheese steak... charged me a $1 for side of fresh jalepenos..

when 99.9% of restaurants dont charge for something that costs a few pennies...

6. MystikArkitect

Free Birds w the guac. Charge extra and still give me a quarter sized serving.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yea or extra for "fresh" quac, that looks like paste and has no flavor.

Other places charge you extra for 1 slice of cheese on a burger :mad:

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's becuause beef prices are so high. Restaurants have to make profit. Yall
    Would be complaining even more if they set burgers to market price.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I really dont find any of the chains that bad. Its a bit ridiculous to pay $2.50 for a drink, but that is up to the business. I think much of this is because the employees really dont care.

I do find Subway a bit obnoxious. When they had the $5.00 footlong deal, it was great. Now its turned into a $11.00 meal.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Quiznos used to weigh the meat they put on your sandwich

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Boston Market, if simply for their portion sizes. I'm surprised they don't weigh it: whoops, gave you an ounce too much of the mashed potatoes.

And overpriced.

Hence, I haven't been back in....15 years? 10 years?

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It's a way to track inventory for them. Jimmy John's does this too along with everything else on that sandwich line. They are extremely meticulous with their sandwich supplies and ingredients. Really well-run franchise model.

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

You can call it whatever you want, but restaurants have to cut corners to keep prices low to turn a profit.

What you don't factor in is the lease, utilities, employee salaries, insurance, taxes, overhead charges to keep the business running. Just because it costs .30 cents for the actual product, it isn't a reflection of what it truly costs after you factor in all the expenses to keep the business afloat.

If you don't like it, go to Chili's and pay $15+ for a subpar meal or cook at home. Even McD's is expensive these days. $7-$8 for a fast food meal.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Only bad one comes to mind is Chipotle, the chips are 1.30$ but the guac is 1.95$?!
    i remember when it was like 1.50$ and that's still ridiculous that guac alone (which isn't all that) is more than chips or a drink...

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Been going to Boston Market over the last 10 years and haven't noticed employees being stingy with portion sizes. If you're getting to go plates, the side order section of the plate is just not very big.
    They also send out coupons a few times a year.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wendys is my answer for this.
    I've experienced this at Wendys in about five different states and multiple cities. Always drive thru. You order a meal with fries and they give you about one or two napkins and no ketchup. One ends up having to check the bag and ask for ketchup. You order a meal of nuggets and they give you the food without bothering to ask if you'd like barbecue sauce or some kind of sauce.
    If you do ask for sauce, you know it'll only be one or two satchets handed out.

Feels like orders from corporate or franchise owners to be stingy with napkins and condiments.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Probably hotballa's restaurant - stingiest and skimpiest

I heard there is no "Employess must wash their hands sign" before returning since they are saving on water.

That aside I hate it when low life morons get a glass for water (free usually) and then go on to fill it with sprite or some other drink that they should have paid for. That should result in a ban.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

+1

Wendy's makes the customer request any condiments instead of asking if you'd like anything.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Salata also.

You will give you small portions of veggies and the meat portions are laughable

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Any Tex-Mex place that asks if you want chips and salsa and then charge you for it.

90 percent of tex-mex places I've been to have had complimentary and unlimited chips/salsa.