1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Randy Bullock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Stats doesn't really apply to kicker like other players.

Most team and coaches have different expectation from the kicker than other players - which sometimes could be unreasonable.

Your whole team worked their asses trying to get into the end zone and got stopped, you are already upset about the failure, now you are going to fail the FG try?

Or even worse, your team worked their asses setting up for an end of the game FG trying to win the game, you are going to miss that?

Its a nature of the game, most of the time, a FG try is a failure of the offense, the failure of the kicker would be just adding gas to a fire.

Plus most of the team won't even spend any major investment on a kicker, no offense will be built to kick FG to get points.

So there you have it, Randy is not all the problem for the missing FG, he just had a "bad field position" to start with.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Huh? It's not Bullock's fault he missed the field goal because he had to kick the field goal? He has 3 jobs...kick offs, field goals, and extra points. If he can't do 2 of those three consistently, his job should be in danger. He was decent last season and terrible the season before. So far this season, he's been terrible. He hasn't cost us a game, yet.

There is nothing to lose by bringing in competition.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure they do... in fact, they're even more applicable in that other than bad line play/blocks, a missed kick is usually all on the kicker.

I have no idea what sort of point you just made there other than a thinly-veiled attempt to try and lay blame on the offense for the kicker failing.

Hell, he's failing on extra points... which is when the offense actually does well.

4. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

The Redskins cut our most accurate kicker in team HISTORY (89%) after week 1 which shocked lots of fans. His issue was leg strength. Almost 99% of his kick offs are returnable and hes only like 3/5 for kicks 50+ yards. He has an extremely weak leg but extremely accurate.

I read that alot of players wanted him gone since we had alot of injures that happened on kickoff returns since he can't kick it out of the endzone. Kai "Cobra" Forbath is his name.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You just failed to understand a simple point : it really doesn't matter if this is Randy or Sebastian Janikowski, they are working under the same situation when they will come to the field, which is a failure of offense to get into the end zone, so eventually the expectation and frustration of miss FG will be different than other positions in the team.

This has nothing to do whether we have a good kicker or not, even when we will get a new one and he makes 50 in a row and then he missed the one and cost us not making the playoff, fans still curse at him and he also maybe cut.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's got a strong leg, but the ball seems to move a lot when he kicks it.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't get this at all.

Lechler only comes in when we were unsuccessful in moving the football. People understand it's not his fault...and they think he's a killer punter regardless. They don't blame him or want him cut because the team couldn't move the ball.

There are great FG kickers who do their job....they don't get blamed because they're not capable of putting up a touchdown...they get credit for doing their job...which is stepping in and getting 3 when the offense fails to get 6.

But our kicker is having a hard time with extra points at this point...soooo....

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still don't get it...

Judging a kicker by his performance on the field IS what this is about.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about except that it "doesn't matter who is kicking, because if he's being counted on... the offense failed anyways." (which is just about the dumbest thing I've read on here).

You still haven't explained why he's not making extra points... which have nothing to do with the "failure of the offense" (quite the opposite actually).

His missed extra point yesterday literally gave the Bucs a chance to tie the game up at the end. It was inexcusable.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Lets compare a kicker to a punter.

When a punter coming in, its the 4th down and that also means a failure of offense and we failed to reach the end zone, but the difference is : we have no chance to get any points.

A punter's job is to gain field position for the team, which you don't really see his contribution on the scoreboard but that could be very important for a team to win.

But no one will expect a punter to kick the ball very hard and hit the punt returner on his head and cause a fumble and then we recover it for a TD to put score on the board.

A kicker is different, he was expected to make it - most of the time at least, and that end result will be shown directly on the scoreboard to change the game.

If that kick is not expected to be made, then the coach will always have another option such as go for it or punt it.

That's the difference in expectation.

A punter punt around mid field and hit a touch back, you can say that just as bad as missing a FG. Any good punter will know it, just like yesterday, Lechler made a great punt and the ball fell around the 5 yard line and we let that ball rolled into the end zone and Lechler was yelling : "catch the fvking ball."

That special team play was just as bad as missing a FG, but of course, it does not directly reflecting on the scoreboard and many fans will not feel as bad as witnessing a kick sailing right or left to the post.

This is not saying Randy is doing a good job or bad job. Just saying the expectation from the kicker position will always be different than others.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Working out kickers tomorrow thank gawd.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nick Novak worked out for PHI Mon - they're signing Sturgis - and is among the K working out in Houston Tues. Was 6/7 today w/long kickoffs</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/648625505181245440">September 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

No s*** there are different expectations. Next, can you please explain how the expectations of the quarterback and a watermelon are different?

Every position has different expectations. If they're not doing their job, they should be replaced...period.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We just need to draft that kid from Florida state

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like they want to push Bullock to be better, I don't think there's any way they make a kicking change right now, but this should be a warning to Fat Aggie that if he keeps missing, he'll be out of a job next year.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One of the funniest posts I've ever read.

Almost makes it worth it having to read his whole synopsis on what a kicker really is.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I could easily see them making a change. Or keep fat randy for kickoffs only.

He's just too inconsistent when the pressure is on, and apparently extra points this year are slightly more pressurized since these kickers were expected to be automatic previously, and they may be trying too hard not to f it up.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason I think they keep Randy is because of the lack of legit alternatives. I don't think they'd make a change just to make a change and I don't think Nick Novak would amount to serious competition. I think if Randy Bullock doesn't make just about every kick for the rest of the season then the Texans are drafting a kicker in the off-season.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're making a change because he's a mental midget.

Notice how even the kicks he makes features inconsistent spin/contact. He may be great in practice, but he's unpredictable in the games.

Novak has done it before. If he still has the leg to make middle distance kicks, they should consider him. It's not like Bullock is a "weapon" from long range anyways.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the difference is that Bullock is capable of kicking it from long range, Novak isn't. Also we'd have to factor in what he'd look like on kickoffs. I still don't see a change happening, but if it does, then it would just ensure we draft a kicker.

What sucks about Bullock is that he has the ability, the leg strength, he just doesn't have the consistency and that's killer at the NFL level.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He could also not have it mentally.

This team can survive without a long-range kicker (provided Novak can do well enough on kickoffs)... like I said before, Bullock has a leg... but he's far from "capable" at kicking it from long range (unless he gets his confidence issues sorted out).

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Looks like they're bringing in the Boswell kid from Rice. Hope he wins a spot.