1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

Two really interesting things from there:

#1: Too many weird shifts: The Astros play their corner outfielders toward the gaps. Monday night, they defended a hitter with one home run (Shane Victorino) with three infielders on the left side—and second baseman Jose Altuve turned a hit into a routine out by doing so. You can focus on the few balls that beat the shift, but Houston plays defense the way Vegas does the poker table: Over the long haul, the house wins. The stats show the Astros are better at turning batted balls into outs than any team in the league except the Blue Jays, who play their home games on artificial turf.

#2: The other two worst-ever-on-the-road playoff teams won the World Series. The 1987 Twins apparently make the Astros look awesome on the road.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why are you putting quotation marks around a comment that you completely made up?... Not only has no one said that, no one has even implied it.

This is very simple: if Hinch burns Keuchel in any non-must-win game that specifically precludes him from then pitching in a must-win game, it is a fireable offense, IMO. I fully understand that winning a must-win game could lead to another must-win (ie a WC play-in game) - I'm not then suggesting that Keuchel has to pitch in that game, too.

Again, as I've said over and over... the priority is *making* the postseason. You do whatever you have to do to accomplish that.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

We are sitting here, on September 22, 2015, 1 game back of the division lead, and 3 games ahead for a playoff spot. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Hinch's job is pretty darn safe. It is absolutely a great thing that we, as fans, can have this discussion, but it seems like we are almost grasping at things to criticize. I understand that this is the forum to do so, and I'm not trying to stop anyone from voicing their opinion, but following this back and forth for the day seems a tad unnecessary. But to each their own, it's good to have a civil and respectful discussion. Instead of worrying about hypothetical fire-able offenses, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the rest of the season. Let's go Stros, let's finish the season strong!

4. Hey Now!

No; there's only one must-win game. You have to win it for there to be *more* must-win games.

If the Astros need to win one of two... the first game is *not* a must-win. And the second game is *only* a must-win if you lose game 1.

These are the type of things Hinch has to be juggling, considering and planning for as the season winds down.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, fewer off days... and the fact that there's really nobody bad enough in the current rotation that warrants getting skipped in order to keep others on regular rest (especially since Feldman went down, and they went back to a 5 man rotation). They did give Fiers extra rest after his extended no-hitter outing, but even then the off-days allowed that to be pretty non-disruptive to the rest of the rotation.

I also don't feel any pitcher (including Keuchel) is going to be better on 3 days rest... than any of the other 4 on full rest. (Yes, I'd even throw Fiers on full rest over Keuchel on 3 days rest... although it would never come to that in the playoffs as he's the 5th man).

The excellent starting pitching (Arlington annihilation excluded) is what has been the most consistent aspect of this team all season.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What would you do if there was a division tie? Technically, that's not a must-win game as the loser would then go on to the WC game.

7. Hey Now!

Easy, for me. Start the regularly-scheduled starter, assuming Keuchel is then your WC or game 1 starter.

ETA: although, that's a fascinatingly good question because I, personally, would 1000% prefer the straight-to-ALDS route, so..... but, yeah - I think I go regular starter with Keuchel set-up for WC or game 1.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What if Keuchel was the regularly scheduled starter? Would you skip/save him for the LDS or possible WC game, and possibly pitch somebody else on short rest?

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

can somebody besides Hey Now please weigh in and explain to me how these two statements are much, if at all different, given the context of the debate that is currently taking place? Weighing in to mention that they are close enough, if not exactly the same would be equally useful and welcome.

#1: "If hinch doesn't figure out a way for Keuchel to pitch in all the games that I'd ideally like him to pitch in, he has failed and he should be fired"

#2: "This is very simple: if Hinch burns Keuchel in any non-must-win game that specifically precludes him from then pitching in a must-win game, it is a fireable offense, IMO."

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

So are you advocating that Hinch keeps our ace shelved in the final series until it's a must-win game? What if, by doing so, he then is forced to pitch him on Sunday, and can no longer pitch him in the WC game on the 3 days rest that you desire? What if, had he pitched him in a "non-must-win" game on Friday, he could have then avoided the "must-win" game, and could have then pitched him on 3 days rest in the WC game?

Lot of wanting to have your cake and eat it too under your parameters. Not to mention a virtually winless proposition for Hinch.

11. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

**** the rangers

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. astros123

astros123 Member

14. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

ugh a fastball right down the middle to Trout smh

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dont go there Lance.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

f aybar

f trout.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Down the middle to Mike Trout? What could go wrong?

18. astros123

astros123 Member

trout is a monster, quit hating

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

20. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

why!? whats with the fastballs right down the middle to their power hitters

F U POOPJULS