1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BS Report] Robert Horry reminisces about Vernon, Hakeem, and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7611863

Rockets talk starts around 2:00 mark.

Update:
    Horry on being traded by Rockets to Detroit (later rescinded)
    "For me personally, I didn't hold a grudge .... We were in Detroit, suited and booted. We went to shootaround that morning. We were walking on the court and they were like, 'Whoa, whoa -- Sean hasn't passed his physical yet.' So Matt Bullard sat behind the bench (and) I sat up in the owner's box and just watched it. Because I always wanted to watch a game as a fan because growing up in Alabama, we didn't have an NBA team. So I said, 'let me sit up in the stands and watch a game." So I sat up in the stands, and the next morning they were like 'Ah, Trade fell through. Get home.' So we got on a plane and went back to Houston.

The funny thing about that is I got traded for not shooting the basketball ... so when I got back, I shot the heck out of the ball. If y'all going to trade me this time you're going to trade me for shooting too much."

Horry on Vernon Maxwell
    "The thing about Vernon -- Vernon is probably the best athlete I ever played with. This guy was incredible. Fast as all outdoors. He could probably go to bed at 5 in the morning and play a 9am game and just go all out. He was an incredible athlete. If you played with Vernon, you know, out of everybody you played with, you know that guy has your back. No matter if you're wrong, he's going to be wrong with you. He's the ultimate teammate as far as being behind you. Sometimes, something goes down, you see guys mosey down there and try to be in the scuffle. If a scuffle happens, Vernon's going to be by your side. You respect a guy like that. He's your teammate, he's your family and he's going to play games with you."

Horry on Hakeem Olajuwon
    "It's amazing how underrated he is. He, to me -- I might be a little biased because I played with him -- is the best center of all-time. Because, one, he wasn't seven feet tall. He's 6-11. All-time shotblocker. Out of every big man that ever played the game, he could shoot free throws. He could shoot from the outside. He could guard guards. He's the best to me. If you go back and you look at the things he used to do on the court -- let's ask David Robinson, he'll tell you -- Dream was the best. No disrespect to all those other guys. I know a lot of times people are measured by wins and championships, like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain. Dream was just flat out the best to me."

Horry on what Hakeem Olajuwon did to David Robinson in the 1995 Western Conference Finals
    "The thing about then, we used to play guys in our conference 5 times. San Antonio owned us. They were 5-0 against us. So we were sitting there, we just came from Phoenix, beating them. First game, Dream looks down there, and Dream never says anything. 'That's my trophy. How they going to disrespect me like that and give him my trophy?' That's what he was saying. We all looked at Dream and were like, 'Yeeeah! We about to roll tonight!' Those moves Dream put on David? We had never seen (those) before. It was like he had been in a lab somewhere working on that secretly. You know guys when they see somehting and go, 'ooooh!"? We were actually on the court going, "ooooh! Get 'em Dream!"

2 people like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Robert Horry on Karl Malone (1:02): "He's a great person."

:eek:

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n_-9Z2LF4fI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Great interview in general, not just the Rockets stuff.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

that's what I said. He's a turrible person

I want horry as a coach or commentator

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I met Horry on a plane ride from Atlanta to Houston and he seemed kinda rude I guess he just hated attention.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every Rocket fan must listen to this.

Robert told the story about how he became "Robert Horry", when he got traded and came back firing shots

Also I loved how he described Vernon, "if you do wrong, he'll do wrong with you!"

about the bulls
    "No disrespect, nobody could stop DREAM"

Glorious

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Robert was cool to me, he told me some funny stories about the good old days.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

As much as I hated Horry as a Laker and a Spur, it's refreshing to hear him say this as a beloved Rocket.

12. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Awesome rep from Horry.

13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Even though I hated the Lakers and Spurs, I could never hate Horry after all he did with the Rockets. No way.

(The closest I ever came to it was when he cheap shot hip checked Nash into the scorers' table, but I'll let bygones be bygones...)

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

'It was like he had been in a lab somewhere working on that secretly.'

haha

1 person likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so much love for this it's unreal. wow.

16. Nook

Nook Member

What a great guy... smart, funny, laid back ... has so much to say and offer.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its interesting to me how he refers to Hakeem as simply "Dream". People on the outside call him "Hakeem" or "Olajuwon" or maybe "The Dream".

18. TISNF

TISNF Member

This hasn't been posted yet??:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYFV06e2blE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYFV06e2blE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mcae_NBtkb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Those were the days. Even though I watched nearly every game Dream played as a Rocket, it still amazes me to see footage of how good he was. There will never, ever be a big man with his skill set again.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why didnt the Rockets try to snag this guy as a color analyst?