1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Copa America

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The Copa America (COMNEBOL championship) starts tomorrow. USA and Mexico are both participating as guest invitees.

USA games will be shown on GolTV and TeleFutura. Mexico games will be on GolTV and Univision.

USA Games
    June 28, 2007 - 20:45
    Argentina v United States

July 2, 2007 - 18:30
    United States v Paraguay

July 5, 2007 - 18:30
    United States v Colombia

Mexico Games
    June 27, 2007 - 20:45
    Brazil v Mexico

July 1, 2007 - 16:00
    Mexico v Ecuador

July 4, 2007 - 18:30
    Mexico v Chile

All times are Atlantic Standard Time Zone (UTC-4), for the local Houston time subtract 2 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_2007

2. DrLudicrous

The US roster is much younger and weaker than the one used for the Gold Cup. Ricardo Clark is the only Dynamo player on the roster.

U.S. Men's National Team
    2007 Copa America Roster By Position
    Goalkeepers (2)
    Brad Guzan (Chivas USA)
    Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)

Defenders (8)
    Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)
    Bobby Boswell (D.C. United)
    Dan Califf (Aalborg BK)
    Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards)
    Jay DeMerit (Watford FC)
    Drew Moor (FC Dallas)
    Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland)
    Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders (8)
    Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids)
    Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo)
    Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV)
    Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew)
    Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA)
    Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire)
    Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven)
    Ben Olsen (D.C.United)

Forwards (4)
    Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF)
    Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids)
    Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards)
    Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Countdown to Sam Fisher complaining about how the Copa is inferior to european tournaments or the FA Cup in 3......2.....

I'll be counting all the Mexicans in the stand when the Tri's play :p

U.S. against Argentina right off the bat.....this could be a short tournament. If Landon can repeat his Gold Cup performance in this one, I'll quit complaining about what a headcase he can be.

4. DrLudicrous

We've got a slight chance to make it out of the group (the 2 best 3rd place teams advance) but I'm mainly interested in seeing how our young guys handle it.

And Landon isn't on the roster, he threw a hissy fit and said he didn't want to play for them in this tournament. I'll readily admit that he's the most talented US player, but he's a huge flapping vagina when it comes time to step up and prove himself.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

You're right, he isn't playing and the other part too. Looking at the lineup, it seems we're taking our B- team. :(

I hope they get far.

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

A lot of other bigger name players will not play either...Beasley, Tim Howard, Brain Ching, Clint Dempsey, Onyewu... I hear the same for the Mexico team too. It's tough to play in two tournaments consecutively with almost no rest in-between.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Not expecting much out of the US team in this tournament ... I guess Brazil is the only other team not using their A team? I know Mexico had a few dropouts, but the majority of the Gold Cup team is back for this one right?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Thank you for adding Mexico's games, DrLudicrous.
    OK... I would never be the one to start sh*t like this, but... :mad: ...

I'll take that count of Mexicans in the stands, double it, and, eh... it would be how many people born in the United States will say "it's soccer, like anyone cares..." out loud, right? :p

Time for me to uh, how you say... show how the United States team only plays its "A" game against Mexico and IN THE UNITED STATES... :p I can forget about 1995, allright, but Mexico has done 2 2nd place finishes... while the U.S. hasn't done so well... so... here's hoping the Estadounidenses do better so I can hear it all day at work and on the BBS... :rolleyes:

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

As was said, no beasley or dempsey as well so leave donovan alone.

That being said, this isnt even a c team for the usa. Look at the forward options after twellman and EJ, Herculez Gomez ???? Herculez is decent on the mls scene, now charlie davies is a youngster who might come good. This will be a great test for all the young uns like Marvell wynne and Lee Nguyen.

The options at right mid are just terrible if they decide to play 4-4-2,
    Olsen is the only one who ever was a legit rwinger in his early years at DC united and on the national team but now he's a center mid.
    Gaven wouldnt even make this cycles under 20 team, thats how ineffective a player he's been his entire career and thats sad given his young age, but if the kid had been given half the hype of freddy adu then the soccer public would be on his case constantly.

Anyway, can't wait to see the cricket score in the argy-usa match.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

what channel is GolTV on on Comcast.

11. DrLudicrous

There was an article were Bradley specifically said he wanted Landon for both tournaments, when I see a quote that he wanted Beasley or Dempsey also and they backed out then I'll include them in my ridicule.

And I have a hard time believing that either of those two would turn down a chance to play for the national team.

12. DrLudicrous

104 as part of the sports pack, 511 as part of the Spanish pack.

13. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The European based players I can understand, they play from mid to late August until mid to late May. Donovan doesn't have that excuse.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not going to blame Donovan on this one. You knew he was going to play a large majority of the minutes in the Gold Cup. In the meantime, his club team is struggling badly without him and Beckham is soon to be here. There has to be a balance between club and country. He did his part in bringing home the Gold Cup. That's the one that's most important. There is a reason the A team was in the GC and the B- team is going to the Copa.

Swoly, this one's for you...

15. SwoLy-D

Yeah, I remember that one. I recall they used that as a continental qualifier and it was played in Paysandú. Yeah, I remember that one.

See, there's something I've been wanting to bring up... since 1990, before the game Mexico won in Vancouver, there have been a total of 27 games between the U.S. and Mexico, and 7 have been played outside the U.S. ... that's why it looks so impressive.

Since 2000, 12 games total between U.S. and Mexico and only 2 played in Mexico soil (Mexico City), one in Japan (shut up), and one tie (in Reliant Stadium).

So... either my team likes to get their butts whipped outside their house, or they don't like to win... one of those two :confused:.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

SwoLy, does it really make a difference where the games are played? Normally, the home team has a huge advantage, but no matter where the US and Mexico play, Mexico always has a huge crowd support advantage. I'd say Mexico has the home field advantage whether the game is played in Mexico, the US, or anywhere else on the planet.

17. SwoLy-D

No, GOSHDARN IT... it doesn't... :( but the point I wanted to make is that it's becoming a damn habit for the U.S. to say: "Hey, amigos, wanna play some fútbol?" and the Mexican team to say: "Yeah! Your field, where we can't win... right? Let's play! :) "

:mad:

Here's the latest:
    [​IMG]

18. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

7/1 Underdogs on bodog for the young American squad against Argentina. I hope they can pull the upset and win me some money.

19. DrLudicrous

It's not the fan atmosphere that makes playing in Azteca so tough, it's the actual atmosphere. The altitude and smog play a huge part in Mexico's home field advantage.

And US and Mexico are supposed to be playing a friendly later this year in Azteca, so Mexico will have a chance of winning the game.

20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Thanks Dr. Luda for posting all the info on the games and starting the threads of course!

I want the U.S. to do well but I am rooting for a Brazil-Argentina Final (if that is possible).

GO BRAZIL!