1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANDREW WIGGINS (Once in a Generation)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 713, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Yeah, it's gonna be good. Can you share your thoughts.... what type of caliber players do you think the 6-8 superstars will turn into(comparisons) e.x.

Wiggins will be a player of Lebron James's caliber or better

Thoughts anyone?

2. JD88

JD88 Member

Well I can really only speak for guys that UK have been on. Of course, you have (in order of ranking) Jabari Parker. Don't believe he is interested in UK as much anymore. All I know about him is he scores in bunches. And bunches. And bunches.

#2 Andrew Harrison

As far as I can tell with him, his size makes him an absolute beast at any level. Him and his brother will more than likely be a package deal, which makes playing at UK (they will have both spots open next year if the mock draft holds true). I like him because he is a distributor with an almost 3:1 A/T ratio, but can score as well. Hes a good finisher but doesn't really have range.

#3 Aaron Harrison

He's in the same boat. His size makes it easy for him to have his way. Both twins are listed at 6'5", and most lists have them listed 200-210lbs. Him and his brother are the perfect tandem, while his brother's game is to distribute, Aaron's is to score. There's videos of him dropping 35 points in a half. He has excellent range, and is a strong finisher, which works out since he loves to attack the rim.

#4 Julius Randle

Think Amare. Excellent footwork, quick first step, likes to catch the ball away from the basket (where he can't shoot) and get around his man, or go through him. He's a rebounding machine and is a defensive force. He's strong, very strong.

#7 Chris Walker Commited to Florida

I like his game. I think he has the potential to be a Blake Griffin type player. Pure athleticism. He's fast and will fill the lanes properly on a fast break. Like Blake, he doesn't know how to score with his back to the basket. If he pans out like I think he could, he will be a highlight reel.

#8 James Young

I thought UK had backed off of him, but now Im reading that isn't the case. He is super athletic, but he isnt much for creating his own shot since he's not the best dribbler in the world. Hes a catch and shoot player, but he is very crafty and scores in a variety of ways (floaters, reverse lay-up, 3's, turn around).

There's 6 I can think of. Also, keep an eye out for Isiah Hicks, commited to UNC (ew), and Justin Kimball from Dallas, who has an offer from UK. I think both of them could be big time players.

Like I said, thr 2014 draft is loaded, if anything, I wish the Rockets would make some moves and try to get 2 top 10 picks in that draft with all the assets we keep collecting. If you want to build a team, then that draft is a pretty good one to start at.

3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks. Any NBA comparison's on what level of play that they may become.

e.x. I think Andrew Wiggins can be as good as Lebron James.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

No idea I didn't really start watching the NBA other then SC highlights until I moved here a few months ago after the playoffs were almost over.

I grew up in Louisville KY where college basketball is king, and ever since UK hired Coach Cal I have followed all the big name recruits since most of them considered Kentucky at one point or another.

That's why I have faith in PPat. I read a lot on this board that he was a disappointment last year with his injury, but he really does have the ability to become a starter someday.

5. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

To bad we will have to watch him play for someone else while we stack mediocre talent and hope for a trade. That is unless we get lucky like we did with Yao and jump from the 14th pick to first with a lotto win.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We jumped from 5th...not 14th...

7. JD88

JD88 Member

Guess who won the dunk contest this weekend.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm beginning to feel that Wiggins is a generational talent. If we're gonna land a couple kids by going to the lottery, I'd love to have CZeller this season and Wiggins next season. Now to make that happen....gotta have multiple lottery picks or at least first dibs on the higher of ours and a couple other teams lottery picks. That way the odds are over 50% of getting the top pick. I think I'd trade away the Toronto and Dallas picks in combination for an unprotected lottery pick in the 2014 draft. In fact, I think I'd trade anybody on our roster for an unprotected 2014 lottery pick.

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Only chance to get Wiggins will be the get the number 1 overall pick(whenever he declares). He is about as strong lock as Lebron, and Oden were in HS. He is a scary prospect barring injury. His bust ceiling has been described rom numerous scouts as basically a mixture of Nicolas Batum or Rudy Gay...(think about that for a second)

Me personally i hate athletic freaks in todays NBA, because they cant seem to stay healthy. I would rather take Jabari Parker to be honest, even if he turns out to be a better version of Melo or a Paul Pierce type of player, at least you get prodcution over injures. The fact that Lebron has stayed relatively healthy his entire career, in INCREDIBLE

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wiggins is much more than an elite athlete. He's a basketball player. He makes plays, handles, dishes, plays D, in addition to soaring and scoring. He looks like the complete player to me. Big time.

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I said BUST... ceiling( basically means worse case)

Andrew Wiggins Upside maybe a cross between Lebron and Scottie Pippen, but i would rather have Jabari Parker, because like i said.. these young athletic freaks in todays NBA cant seem to stay healthy or battle serious tendinitous. As much flack as we gave Melo and Paul Pierce in their careers(they have almost always been healthy). I dont want another Yao and TMAC situation on our hands.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

By that logic you wouldn't have drafted Bron or Dwight back in the day.

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

It's kind of hard to project which team will suck not this year, but the following year. I'd still be trying that and trying to get unprotected picks in that year from them. I don't think you can target teams that suck right now b/c they will not be trading unprotected picks. I think more than likely you find teams that are just barely hanging on.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So basically you would have taken Michael Beasley over Derrick Rose? You would have taken Melo over Lebron? You would have taken Emeka Okafor over Dwight?

You would have been a hell of a GM....:rolleyes:

15. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Looking at it in hindsight i would take Kevin Love over both especially after the D.Rose knee injury. As for Dwight and Emeka Okafor, Dwight had the athletic ability and potential along with the family groundness and strong religious support system like Jabari Parker now( you are only proving my argument even more)

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's just stupid. Flat out stupid. No other way to put it. You'd turn down MVP's for players who've never been in the playoffs....

17. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Derrick Rose was gifted an MVP( the year Lebron was the villan). Westbrook is a decent player, but not a franchise changer.

Derrick Rose has been anoointed too soon, he isnt that good, as his shooting % will atest too(even before the injury)

Give me Kevin Love with a shot at Nerlens Noel if we are smart enough to tank

Jeremy Lin is a decent PG who is fairly young, and will only get better

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

WAIT WAIT WAIT...Derrick Rose "isn't that good"? You just lost any ounce of credibility you might have had to begin with. That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on Clutchfans. Maybe Lebron isn't that good either. Or Hakeem Olajuwon. Or even Michael Jordan! HE WON THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AWARD and he's "not that good". You're dumb.

And you mention "franchise changers". So you're telling me Kevin Love is a "franchise changer" when he's never even been to the playoffs, while Derrick Rose won the MVP and led his team to a #1 overall seed? You sir, are the definition of ignorant.

19. JD88

JD88 Member

SI had Jabari as 'the next Lebron' in their magazine. Randle just took over the #1 ranking.

This whole next Lebron crap is just that, crap. Until they get into the league, a lot can happen from their senior year of HS until they are drafted.

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Parker was injured the entire SUMMER, with an ankle injury. he didnt play at all, and Julius Randle took advantage of an oppurunity. When both are healthy Parker is numero in 2013. If Wiggins reclassifies to the 2013 class then it wont make much of a difference because he will be the new number 1 in that class