1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Supposedly Jimbo wanted 10 yrs/6.5 mill per and LSU said no. Looks like they clearly have a line in the sand they will not cross regarding salaries.

If I'm Texas I give Fisher a call...

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Strong officially out.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yeah. People who believe that nonsense.. Smh.

Agent fielding phone calls has now turned into "OMG TOM HERMAN GAVE GREG FENVES A RIMMER"

4. gucci888

Haven't seen anyone say Herman and LSU didn't speak. In fact, multiple people confirming that Herman and LSU were working on a deal. Herman apparently called LSU this morning that he wanted to hear UT out and LSU said no thanks, we're gonna go with Coach O. You don't call a school to let them know you want to hear another school out if something wasn't being worked on already.

5. gucci888

6. gucci888

PJ Fleck to Purdue

7. raining threes

Agreed, I would rather give a proven winner like Fisher 6.5 than a less proven Herman 6.0. But that's just me, looks like Herman will be the hire. Lets hope this works out much better than the Strong hire.

Hopefully Herman can turn UT into another Ohio St.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Reid Laymance ‏@ReidLaymance 9m9 minutes ago If Herman goes to Texas, UH should hire Strong for one dollar per year so Texas will have to kick in the other 5 mil or so.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

The reports are contradicting each other.

Herman met with LSU on Thanksgiving day.

Herman spoke with LSU on Thanksgiving.

Herman had a handshake agreement to coach LSU.

Herman never spoke with LSU.

Herman's agent spoke to LSU.

LSU preferred Jimbo Fisher.

LSU balked at Jimbo Fisher's demand of 6 million a season.

LSU preferred Herman and Herman was surprised.

LSU only offered 3 million a year to Herman.

For LSU it was never about money.

Herman preferred LSU because he didn't like the politics at UT.

It is no secret that Texas is Herman's dream job.

Really ..... seems like a lot of reporting with no consequences for being inaccurate.

11. Major

Major Member

Contracts don't get done in a matter of 1-2 hours, so it's quite clear Texas and Herman were talking prior to this morning. So any other denials Herman made about talking to schools probably should be taken with a grain of salt.

gucci888 and J.R. like this.
  12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I have a suggestion -- don't listen to any public reports.

13. gucci888

Hearing the Cowboys have offered a job to Strong, didn't say to what position.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ducks have to fire Helfrich now. I thought beating Utah last week saved his job but losing to Oregon State and finishing at the bottom of the Pac 12 North proves he's in way over his head. If he's lucky, maybe the new HC keeps him as OC.

15. Buck Turgidson

That's a weird move.

The LSU crowd looooves Orgeron. As one of my Thibodaux booster friends said, "we finally have a coach who talks like us."

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Fleck could have gotten a way better position if he waited. Maybe I'm overrating him though.

17. gucci888

Think there is a ceiling on the type of job you can get at W. Michigan. If he does well at Purdue, he'll be up for a blue blood soon enough IMO.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think he's worthy of the hype, but there's just a lot of risk with sticking around a job like Western Michigan. I'm no expert on WMU's two-deep, but let's say they lose a bunch of key players from this team. Next year, they go 7-5 or 8-4, and there aren't any obvious landing spots for him in the offseason. He comes back to WMU for another season, and unless they go back to being a ten-plus win team in that next season, his name is suddenly not nearly as hot. That seems like an unlikely scenario, and it's an extreme version of what can happen, but it's why these coaches feel so compelled to strike while the iron is hot.

The other benefit for him moving on to Purdue is that the bar is pretty low there. They've been pretty bad for a while now, and it's not like they've really ever had true glory days for which the fanbase is pining. Joe Tiller is the winningest coach in the history of the program, and he never won ten games there. He did a fantastic job of getting them to bowl games (which the fans would gladly take now, of course), but his average season there was a lot closer to 7-5 than it was 9-3. That's a long way of saying that if Fleck can simply make Purdue respectable, he'll be viewed as having done an outstanding job.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Yeah, sure seems that way. I understand the argument that he was just in the national championship game a couple of years ago, and as a rule, I would make a similar argument for why patience should be exercised, but man, this has been a precipitous drop-off for the Ducks. It just seems so wildly unlikely that Helfrich will have them back to being a Pac-12 title contender in the next couple of seasons, and if that's the case internally up in Eugene, then there's little reason to keep him around.

I'll be interested to see what's next for Oregon as a program. When you step back and take a look at the program, their time as a year-in, year-out national title contender is somewhat limited to the Chip Kelly years, save for 2000-2001 under Mike Bellotti, when they went 10-2 and 11-1 in back-to-back years. Other than that, it was a lot of solid seasons that ended in, say, the Holiday Bowl. The Phil Knight money helps and will probably keep them from ever being an also-ran again, but I don't think it's automatic that they go back to being a blue blood.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

FAU fires Charlie Partridge
    Nevada & Brian Polian part ways
    San Jose State fires Ron Caragher

#60 J.R., Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016