1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

most dissapointing Rockets all-time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jim Pankovitz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. RocketMania1991

Yao+ Tmac

They were supposed to bring this organization a championship.

All we've gotten is two stars who have yet to bring success on the basketball court, and have consumed mass amounts of payroll and half a decade of our time.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'd only put players on the list that we had a real expectation of doing some good things. Nachbar's highest possible ceiling was a decent role player ...he can't be considered a big disappointment ...just a mild disappointment.

As much as I hate Scottie Pippen, he wasn't our #1 guy therefore I can't call him the biggest disappointment.

So far, TMac has been the biggest disappointment. He's the highest paid player and has led this team nowhere.

Steve Francis has to be #2. I loved Stevie's heart and he was fun to watch ...but he just couldn't make a good decision in crunch time to save his life. :(

Eddie Griffen. He was billed as our #1 pick of the draft. If that were true, he'd be in the top 10 of all time draft busts. As Houstons fans go, he's right up there near the top.

Oh, an Maurice Taylor and Kelvin Cato deserve some mention if we want to rank cost vs productivity.

3. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Sampson was ROY and 4 time all star.

4. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Steve Harris was pretty good for us. He floundered in GS. He was like an old school version of Von Wafer.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

According the Hakeem's book the Rockets were thinking over that trade and probably would have pulled the trigger if they knew how Drexler would have turned out.

6. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Absolutely Maurice Taylor on the list. He was terrible.

Steve Francis was an all star and scored lots of points for us so I wouldn't say he was a dissapointment.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It begins and ends with Ralph Sampson. He started out like a hall of famer (and had those expectations), but injuries caught up with him way too soon.

8. ibm

ibm Member

take sampson off the list. when talking about disappointment, injury should nt play a part imo, as it's something players don't have a lot of control with.

come to think of it, the biggest fail has to be eddie griffin, at least in recent memories.

9. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Sampson was not a dissapointment as a player. It was his injuries.

10. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Luther head. Declined after his rookie year.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The Rockets are a stand-up franchise, definitely top-10 in the NBA (Boston LA Chicago and then there's no one else with a clearly superior history to ours). We should be judging disappointments based on postseason performances.

By that criterion you would have to include Francis, Yao, and T-Mac. The first round is simply unacceptable for a franchise that has had three decades of contending for championships with the likes of Calvin Murphy, Rudy T, Moses, Sampson, Olajuwon, Drexler, etc.

12. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

What about Glen Rice?

13. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I have to agree with the Doctor here. Lloyd and Wiggins were very good players. On the other hand, they would be all-stars or close to all-stars in today's NBA with the rules favoring guards with great shooting and offensive skills.

Ralph Sampson has to be #1. Dream and Sampson made up the famous twin towers. Who has heard of a 7'4" PF? The castrophies of Ralph's injuries and the drug problems prevented the Rockets from winning multiple championships even against LA's Showtime and the Big Three in Boston.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Has to be Ralph Sampson.

15. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I wouldn't put him on the list. We asked him to shoot 3's and that's what he did.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I obviously disagree with you putting Max there.

Clutch City 1 members are immune. especially the one that brought the Rockets back from 0-2 going to America West Arena, countless amounts of crazy game winners, defense, technical fouls, and the clutch game 7 performance against the Knicks for the first championship.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASxTyFlLYso&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Max had issues with ownership/management with his contract extension. sound familiar

also its water under the bridge cause Max got forgiveness from his teammates and his coach and admitted it was his mistake.

if you hold anger in your heart for maxwell, your heart is pure darkness.

#36 tinman, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  17. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

I agree with everything here but I won't put Sampson on the list because the injuries were not in his control. But yeah, Wiggins and Lloyd really screwed us bad. Those two should certainly be on the list. Especially Lloyd - he was on his way to all star status.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Rockets All-Time Disappointment Team:

Point Guard: Sleepy Floyd
    Shooting Guard: Tracy McGrady
    Small Forward: Scottie Pippen
    Power Forward: Eddie Griffin
    Center: Kelvin Cato

Bench:
    Shandon Anderson
    Mo Taylor
    Stromile Swift
    Dan Langhi
    And the triumvirate that could have been Rashard Lewis: Michael Dickerson, Mirsad Turkcan, Bryce Drew,

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this has been discussed every year and everybody keeps getting it wrong.

Sampson wasn't this chronically injured player. He got injured badly on his hip and then he came back too soon. blame it on the medical technologies back in the day. His overcompensation for his hip caused his knee injuries.

Look at when they found Yao had a fracture, they shut him down. They wouldn't do that back then. His career would be ruined like Ralph's if Yao played back then.

Also, disappointment?

Who was the hero who beat the legendary lakers when dream was out in la?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

I said I loved him until he bailed. He turned his back on the Rockets at serious crunch time and for that I don't forgive him. The players/coaches saying they forgive him doesn't sway me at all. Maxwell was not happy about coming off the bench when Drexler got here and he was sulking about it. I'll never forget the halfbutt shot he threw up against Utah. Team first always.