1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorns Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Sorry, just heard on the news. Holmes is a game-time decision.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do you understand how college athletics works? There's no draft lottery, tanking, or salary cap, in case you didn't know. Most teams don't have a shot at winning and that will never change. You can't just pretend a school is a basketball school. But then again, you just described Barnes' career as "inept", so maybe you didn't realize this.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

There's definitely no salary cap in college basketball, that's for sure.

Thanks for the news about the draft and tanking though. Didn't know that. Oh, and thanks for letting me know that I can't just pretend a school is a basketball school.

Lotsa good info in this post. I'm gonna bookmark it for future reference.

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

great start against WVU

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

Really impressive blowout against a desperate WVU team. Baylor's playing their 3rd game in 3 nights and now they've clinched a tournament spot so I expect them to not play with much urgency.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Have a real shot to win the big 12 tournament. Baylor wont be easy.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Actually, there is a very restrictive salary cap with exceptions for scholarships.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

first round is against ASU...

9. DwightHoward13

More worried about the potential 2nd round game against Michigan; I think we have no chance in that one. I also am wondering how Baylor got a 6 seed. Looking at the big picture, that is much too high in my opinion.

10. ItsMyFault

Yeah Michigan will take this team out if it comes to that game.

It's really all on which offense shows up. Defense might keep them in it, but you have to score to win.

11. Major

Major Member

Texas had the better conference record and was 2-1 vs Baylor. But Baylor had the better non-conference success and was far more dominant down the stretch. I think you could make a case for either/or getting 6 and 7 seeds.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Safe to say the smart coaches in the conference voted for Barnes for Conference Coach of the Year to ensure that Patterson kept him around?

13. Major

Major Member

Because taking a team that was supposed to be wretched and struggle to win 10 games to 3rd place in the deepest conference in the country wasn't a good reason? You think Patterson would have fired him if only he did win the award, and that all the coaches in the conference care about that? :confused: People don't have to like Barnes, but the conspiracy theories are kind of ridiculous.

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Texas shouldn't have any trouble with Arizona State. Their season will likely end against Michigan...unless the Texas team that played well in the first half of the season and the first half of conference play shows up...then they may have a chance. This team is capable of playing well offensively but they've been so inconsistent lately. They're young though and have far exceeded initial expectations.

I think they'll be very good next season.

15. ItsMyFault

I think he earned himself an extra year. But if he doesn't have a good season next year and a solid recruiting season next year, then I can see him finally getting tossed.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

17. LFE171

LFE171 Member

very nice

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

As a Horn fan I'm completely satisfied with the season now considering the expectations after all the transfers. Holmes coming back next year may even convince Ridley to come back.

Looking forward to seeing if we can give the Wolverines any trouble.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Seriously. I was coming into the season thinking we'd have a terrible season and possibly boot Barnes from the team like what we did Mack. What a weird outcome.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Since he usually has a good season every year, I guess there's nothing to worry about.