1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Amaechi's comments about his stint with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Did "the gay team" build Sugar Land and The Woodlands? Really? Wow!

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well, the woodlands, clear lake, kingwood, sugarland are all suberbs with the woodlands and sugarland being master planned with zoning so it's a little different.

As far as Houston goes, the best areas are River Oaks, West U/Bellaire/Old Braswood, Rice U/Southhampton/Southgate, Villages/Piney point/Hunters Creek/Memorial etc. etc. not the berbs.

The Heights and Montrose/Upper Kirby has nice areas and culture but are not the best areas in the city to live for most that is (very nice but not the best)

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you mean the Menil Collection? That's in the Montrose too. But yeah, my favorite areas of Houston are the Montrose, the Heights, and the Rice University area.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Really? Every time I read anything from him, he comes off as very arrogant and condescending. Don't you feel the condescension when he's talking about the Southern Baptist family?

He turned down a big contract with, I think, the Lakers, to stay with the Magic for a tiny contract after they had that 40-win season with no stars. Orlando then got Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady and hung Amaechi out to dry. I wouldn't say that was very smart.

6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

The rockets weren't a bad fit for Amaechi, the game of basketball was.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well them rednecks obviously didn't know how to read any books at all except the Bible. Johnny boy's obviously got a right to be condescending to people who aren't as smart as him.

BTW, he's always had this condescending attitude, but I think that comes from the fact that he's a snobby elitist. If he were straight, he would probably have the same attitude.

8. jdrock

jdrock Member

If you think those places are the best parts of Houston, you are sadly mistaken..

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sugarland and the Woodlands are some culturally diverse neighborhoods. You can tell because they have chain restaurants for Italian AND Chinese food. :D

I'll certainly argue with his "safe" comment, but he's right about culturally vibrant (they didn't put the museum district in Clear Lake) and about urban renewal.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You never quit, do you. :rolleyes:

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I've felt this way about him being condescending for a few years now. nothing to do with him coming out. and cmon bro, if someone claims they met someone who's only read one entire book in their life, aren't you going to roll your eyes at that also?

12. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i thought he was a condescending snobby elitist due to his upbringing. we're all a production of our environment, you know. it was his misfortune to be english. ;)

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I am so much better than condescending people.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Neither of those places are "in the city." I grew up in the Woodlands and now live in the montrose area (right across W. Alabama from the Menil Collection) and I agree with everything he said. The Woodlands is a great, GREAT place to live and raise kids (IMHO). BUT, If you want to live close to downtown, the museum district, midtown, the galleria, et al. then you should live in Montrose. It is the cleanest/friendliest/safest/culturally rich area around the city.

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I know; my mom has been on the Planning & Zoning commission in Sugar Land for the past 6 years or so (since when I was in high school). My thing is that Montrose is NOT the best area of Houston.

16. AXG

AXG Member

I guess we all know why Eddie sucked when he was in Houston. :D

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Normally I would agree with Manboobs's take here, but if people are going to help you find a place to live, your religion might be a consideration (proximity to your church, for instance).