1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas High School Football Players Could Face Criminal Charges for Blindside Hit on Referee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/07/texas_high_school_football_players_suspended_for_hit_on_referee.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RNCrs63JeuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two Texas high school football players have been suspended and potentially face criminal charges, according to ESPN, for an unusual, deeply unsportsmanlike hit on a referee during a game on Friday night. The two defensive players from John Jay High School lined up normally during the waning moments of a 15-9 loss to Marble Falls, and instead of tracking the play beelined towards the referee, who had his back to the players and was watching the play. The first player hit the referee in the back; the second speared him with his helmet once he was on the ground.

One of the players was immediately ejected, but the other stayed on the field as the ref mistakenly ejected another player not involved in the play. Both players, however, were later suspended from the team and from school, pending a full investigation. “The referee was ‘very upset’ and ‘wanting to press charges,’ ” Austin Football Officials Association secretary Wayne Elliott told ESPN. “The first thing we want is that those two kids never play football again.”

*not sure how there's not a thread on this- I did a few searches, my bad if I missed it.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But what if they apologize?

;)

I kid, they should be suspended forever.

DD

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If it's true that one of the asst. coaches suggested it, he should also face charges IMO.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

They are kids. It was a stupid mistake. They shouldn't be "banned for life" from anything.

Have them issue a formal apology, do volunteer work and take them off the team for the rest of the year.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Meh. I'm guessing they're juniors or seniors. 17-18 is more than old enough to know better. There's a reason this is a story; you almost never see it.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

In high school, I was old enough to understand that inflicting possible injury to someone is the wrong thing to do.

These kids should be banned from football forever. They don't deserve the opportunity to play organized football.

1 person likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They should be done with football for good. Add a suspension on top of it. Although I certainly don't think any criminal charges should be added.

Even at 14 I realized that game officials are untouchable, regardless of how angry you may be. To blatantly target one like this in a premeditated act is completely unacceptable, and beyond a simple mistake. Even if they were instructed by a coach, it doesn't give you carte blanche to do something you know is wrong.

If coaches were involved, they should be fired and face criminal charges.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I heard the ref scribbled a racial slur in the football team's bathroom wall. Can't really blame the players for being upset.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What's the charge for assaulting a teacher or a police officer at that age?

I know this is on the field of a meaningless game... but they're the corresponding version of the previously mentioned authoritative figures in that sort of venue.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think you're making a joke but they actually are accusing the ref or making racial slurs.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

They should be treated the same as they would had they jumped a kid at school from behind - Suspended, kicked off the team, and possible assault charges.

1 person likes this.
  13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Inflicting any and every possible injury is what an entire NFL team tried to do. And none of them are in prison. I mean your goal in football on defense is to crush the opponent. Hard hits and lighting someone up is glorified. Not excusing what these kids did, but there are many players in the NFL (and a lot of other sports. Look at Bruce Bowen made his living trying to sprain and break other players ankles) that would happily injure opposing players. Plenty of assholes are already playing organized football.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

All I know is if your Prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed, I'm going to give you a bit of leeway in any of these "heat-of-the-moment" actions.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think not putting them in jail is "a bit of leeway", them never playing football again should be a given.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many times in all your years of watching football have you ever seen any of those guys do what these guys did in the video? As mad as I've seen football players at refs I've never seen one just totally blind side a guy and then hit him hard while he was down. That's ridiculous.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't feel like mistake was the right word for this. Don't be afraid of punishment.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Isn't that an (unwritten?) rule in football? Can't hit another player who is not in uniform or without a helmet. You also can't assault refs, in any sport. These guys combined the two...they should know better at that age, period.

19. Two Sandwiches

That's a laughable argument. If that's what it is.

20. Two Sandwiches

Totally agree. Great point.