1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 53 man Roster Outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Here's my personal opinions about the Texans roster. Whether it's individual break downs or just by position group. It's how I personally feel about where the Texans are at or will be at the end of the season.

Quaterback

Hoyer is the starter. I feel like he could be at a minimum the rich mans Fitzpatrick, so long as he takes O'brien's coaching like Fitzy did. I think he could be solid, but he most work within the system and his abilities. When he pushes beyond those, that's when he's a detriment to the team. If he stays healthy and doesn't **** his pants, I could see something like;

65+% Comp - 3600 yds - 8 y/a - 22 Tds - 10 INT -

If he can get that or better, This team will make the playoffs. But it will have to be consistent week in and week out. Can't have up and down performances game to game. He has the talent and coaching around him to do it.

Mallet being the backup should help push Hoyer to be his best. Knowing that a guy is right there to take your job, and that you barely beat him for it should be great motivation. As far as what Mallet could do as a starter, I haven't the smallest clue. He could be fantastic with his huge arm, or he could dig you a grave with it. Not enough tape on him to lean any specific way.

Savage getting IR'd hurts him long term. Not practicing will stunt his growth, this probably being his most important year to learn. Lets hope he over comes it, because I like the kid, and his potential and was hoping he could push for at a minimum, the backup job.

O-line

Duane Brown is bigger now than the previous couple years. Has been working specifically on his technique, which hasn't always been good. Always relied on physical ability to cover that up. If he gets both going. Domination will ensue like he's never done before.

Brandon Brooks. He cemented himself as one of the best young guards in the league, this year he's expected to make the next step in becoming even more dominant. He'll probably be our best offensive lineman when it's all said.

Derek Newton graded out as a top 5 RT last year. He has continued to show his growth this preseason, and his versatility with the work at LT he's received. I expect his growth to continue and big things for him to happen.

Ben Jones will finally move back to his natural position, which he is most comfortable at. I think a few growing pains will be in store, otherwise I expect him to transition well and be a positive on the line for once. His development will certainly gain a positive having to face Wilfork each practice. That alone is worth any education in the league.

LG is the hole, and until XSF is back it will be an issue. XSF dominates in the run game, but has issues in pass blocking. He shown that he was working hard at pass blocking in the offseason, but his high ankle sprain has derailed him locking up the position. I think once he's fully healthy, he'll win the spot. I think he'll end up grading out at an even zero. Not negatively or positively. He'll be a run game wrecker, but will need to continue to progress in pass pro. I think he can do it, he just needs time to get in the work on the field.

Depth is a concern. You've got Clark as your swing tackle, and Jeff Adams your starting LG until XSF is back. Lamm made the squad, of which I'm dumbfounded. He was very bad. Mancz is a brightspot however. This guy is a ****ing technician. He'll be competing for a starter role in a year or two, just needs to get lifting. Lacks strength at the point of attack, but he'll get that turned around. Slade would have also made the roster if not for his back injury. Showed real potential at Guard, Interested to see what he does next year when healthy.

Running Backs

You've got foster who will be back by game 5. He's already working out and running and is clearly recovering faster than people expected. I think they keep the load light at first for precautionary reasons. He'll eventually be his old self, Let's just hope is yearly injury is already out of the way.

Blue last year showed a lack of vision and patience. He ran where he was told, no matter if the lane was there or not. He showed minimum burst. He played ST well however. This year he looks better. Showing patience and burst. He's probably been the most consistent backup. I think he could be solid. Doesn't have the greatest hands however.

Grimes has the best vision of the backups, small and shifty, he can get through narrow lanes. Has a good feel for the pass/screen game. Should excel at flat screens and getting him into space. They are sparing on his use, I would like to see more of him.

Polk is of similar mold to Grimes. I don't think he has the same vision as Grimes however. More hard nosed, but doesn't get the yards you would expect from it. Redundant that he's on the roster.

Prosch is finally making progress at being a lead blocker. He's also shown flashes in the pass game and had a couple of carries. I think he'll finally be a positive for the team.

Tight Ends

People continue to have issues with the TE group, of which they don't fully recognize that the problem wasn't so much the talent at the position, but the talent at the QB position.

Graham is a good pass catching TE that can get open quickly. He's your shifty H-back. He's also looked better at blocking this season, saying it's been his priority this offseason. I expect Graham of old to show up.

CJ mentioned early in camp that last year was a huge leap. He struggled with the offense, he hit a wall very early on. He mentions having his head spinning all year. This year? Everything is coming easy to him. Predominantly an inline TE that's also a blocker. He should be much improved this year, and should show his true value from his draft selection. I think he'll prove his haters wrong.

Griffin actually looks to be the most well rounded of the group. Very athetlic, big TE, that has great hands for someone his size. He's shown ability to block, and while it isn't his strength, he's improving.

This should be a much stronger group this year. Especially now with at QB that understands the TE use in this sytem.

Wide Receiver

Hopkins is a top 10 WR. True #1. Outstanding play maker. No need for further ass kissing here.

Shorts is your #2 WR but in the Slot role. He's got everything you'd like at the position, compliments Hopkins well. Now that he's not someone else's #1, he'll shine with the heat off his back.

Washington although up there in age, is still very solid and will contribute well. I do feel however he could be supplanted by one of Mumphery or Strong quickly. Otherwise, very good depth at as a 3rd option. Can still make CBs look silly and get open.

Mumphery is your Slot in training and return man. He's shown very good mental maturity and has been picking up the offense well. His play is far beyond what I was expecting of him. This kid is going to be a great pro.

Strong came in overweight and just not ready to compete. With a big wakeup call, He cam back to camp in shape and ready to go. Every week he's grown. He's a WR in the same mold as Hopkins. Big bodied, not terribly fast, huge catch radius. Jump ball catcher. If he can simply mimic Hopkins and continue his development, He'll be a great #2.

I won't touch Keshawn. We all know what he is. There's no need to go any further.

Defensive Line

The more I think about this group the more I smile.

You've got all world Watt. The future HOFer will continue his brilliance.

You've got future HOFer Wilfork at the nose. I still expect him to be just as effective last year. He's going to eat lines up and allow our LBers to actually work for once.

Crick is a good pro. He's continued his growth every year here. He's very stout against the run and shows some pass rush ability. If he can rush a little better, and get you 5-6 sacks a year, He's absolutely perfect opposite Watt.

Pagan has shown versatility and played well late last year. Haven't seen much from him due to injury this preseason, but I expect him to continue on his development. I think he'll be solid playing the rush, I still don't know if he can contribute as a pass rusher.

Covington is a steal in the 6th. His injury dropping him down so far is our blessing. This kid is playing lights out and doing everything asked of him. Playing as a NT and DE he can give you versatility at many different front looks. His reaction off ball is lightning quick. He needs to get stronger, which he will, but man I'm glad we have this kid.

Need another guy though. Very thin if we have any one guy go down.

Outside Linebacker

Whitney was obviously a reach at his draft position. However, He's slowly turning himself into a solid LBer. He's worked on playing the rush a lot better, and that showed last year. Setting the edge was always his issue and he's made huge strides. He's flashed in his pass rush, but this offseason he's look vastly different there. He looks a lot bigger in his upper body. And in his minimal playing time, he's owned tackles with his strength. I'm expecting a breakout year for him.

John Simon played a much bigger role last year than I was expecting. He has shown great patience in playing against the run and setting the edge, and has shown some pass rush ability. He's a very solid backup at the position. I hope he continues to progress, seeing that he will be receiving a lot more playing time this year.

Carlos Thompson is a UDFA college DE transitioning to OLBer. He's flashed his pass rush ability, but from the little I've seen, He's a project. I have no real judgment on him other than I expect the coaching staff is seeing potential there than his playing time has allowed us to see.

Now we're down to Clowney. If all things go perfectly and he can play day in and day out on his knee, I think he'll dominate. But I think it will take some time. Even in his limited time last year, He seemed a tad lost and didn't get many pressures. Lets hope that mental part is taken care of since he's been riding a bench for a while. If he's healthy, I think he'll be ridiculous for us. It's a wait and see game however.

Inside Linebacker

Cush looks to have finally recovered from his horrible knee injuries. It's always said to take 1 full healthy season to recover. That was last year. This year, He's looked like his old self. He's running down backs, and crashing through the line. If he can even be 80 to 90 percent his old self, we'll be in luck.

Mohamed has turned himself into a starting ILBer. The guy is great in coverage, and has been working on his physicality against the run. The guys your ideal fit next to Cushing, or your perfect dime LBer. I have high expectations for him.

McKinney showed signs of being a thumper and signs that playing the pass will be a work in progress. The kid has all the physical traits you want, and flashed a lot. He needs to get healthy, and back to working. He'll be a great 2 down LBer no matter what, but I'd like him to turn into a 3 down guy. He can, if he works hard enough.

Dent is good depth and a good STer. He's okay at everything, more of a jack of all trades. Just not starting caliber. Solid guy.

Tuggle is one of your ST aces, and has developed every year he's been here. His athleticism is a huge weapon, and he's been much more stouts against the run. His intelligence is noticeable, given him being a college QB before his LBer transition. He could be in the mold of Mohamed and turn himself into a starter at some point. I like the kid.

Cornerback

Kareem has improved every year he's been here. Earning his extension. He needs to continue to work on playing the ball however. Very strong and likes to hit hard. He would excel playing against the slot, but I don't think they'll "demote" him to that. Great #2, just not sure if he'll every be a #1 CB.

Jjo is Jjo. Good #1 but getting up there in age. I think he'll be better this year than last since he's been completely healthy for a while. Doesn't get beat deep and is very savvy. Great leader and good role model for the young guys. I expect him to be himself this year.

Kevin Johnson is going to be a very good CB and it's going to happen quickly. While he's been competing for the nickel CB spot against Bouye, I think he'll take it right off the bat, if not very quickly. He's shadowing skills are a thing of beauty, and his athleticism isn't going to allow him to get beat often. He's shown that his play on the ball is going to be good as well. Just has to learn to not be as physical as he was in college. He'll get some PI calls early on, but he should learn quickly.

If not for KJo's great play, Bouye would be your starting nickel CB. Guy has great potential, just needs to continue to develop. Good speed with size, he's ideal on the outside. Great depth and a guy that could be a starter in the league in a year or two.

Morris is fast and a very good open field tackler. Doesn't let guys get behind him. While still raw, his development is prudent. Can't take off because you're behind some guys on the depth chart.

Rolle has potential and has shown to have good skills playing the ball. Just like Morris he needs to continue to work on his craft. All these guys will get playing time, and you want to be at your best. Has potential just like Morris.

Safety

This position group should be the biggest worry for the Texans.

Moore was suppose to look like an upgrade at FS, but so far he's looked lost. I'm hoping he turns it around quickly. He's shown his potential a few times, and if you look back at his previous years, He's got the ability to be a game changer. Lets just hope he gets it together.

SS is up for grabs. It could be any of the other guys.

Demps offers experience at the position, as well as speed. He's shown to be a solid safety in the past. Came into camp right away and made a difference. Solid guy.

Andre Hal is converting to safety, as was said to be in the lead for the starting spot. He's been up and down, but has potential. I haven't seen enough to make any real judgments on him. Wait and see for him.

Eddie Pleasant has been solid for us for a few years now. Always a backup and always contributing on STs. He'll continue to be solid, I'm just not sure he's a starter in the league. I do like the guy though.

Ballentine is the real interesting guy. The guys ceiling is high as hell, but his injuries are holding him back. His size at the position is that of Kam Chancelor. He could be a monster safety if he could stay healthy and develop properly. Exactly why the Texans kept him on the 53 even though he has knee swelling. I could see him taking a starting spot as the season moves forward if he can get his healthy under control. Super raw, but man, tons of potential.

5 people like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nice assessment.

I'm kind of excited about the safety group. Tons of potential in Hal and Ballentine. Could potentially be a pretty good safety crew in the future, especially considering they're seventh round picks.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks, great post. I don't know if I'm that optimistic but I hope you're right on our question marks

4. Chamillionaire

Excited about this group. But having said that, Rick Smith needs to go. Our history of draft picks leaves a lot to be desired.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah, probably overly optimistic, but I am excited about where things stand. Annoying having another year of bad QB play, but the rest of the team is very talented.

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Don't get me wrong, Hoyer most vastly improve over anything he's done in the past for this team to win. I'm still skeptical as to if that's even possible, and I'm not sure Mallet is much of an upgrade.

Oline depth is still an issue, but Clark, Adams, and Mancz are okay depth. One injury will idoom the line. XSF is a mauler in the run game, but he'll need to step it up in pass pro. Jones will be solid tho.

The TEs will be as good as the QB is in seeing them and utilizing them in this offense. Both Hoyer and Mallet understand that scheme, I know Fitzpatrick didn't.

The defense is loaded on all levels save the safety group for the first time since 2011. Just have depth issues on the D-line and at OLBer in my opinion.

With solid play from Hoyer, I think we're 10 to 11 win team with Foster getting back into the mix within the first month. If Foster struggles all year with injuries, I'm not so sure. Our RB depth is shaky and unproven, I've just at least noticed improvements in the group over last years play this preseason.

But like I've said, The success of this team is riding on the QBs back, and with Hoyer or Mallet being the guy, that's not the greatest feeling. We do have talent across the board however, and that should help whoever ends up leading the team at the end of the year.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

My questions:
    Need another DLineman, especially one that can play backup NT. Red Bryant? Don't know if he can play a 3-4 NT.

Not sure who can play center apart from Ben Jones. That depth still scares me.

The fourth OLB is Carlos Thompson? The coaches must have seen something that we all didn't see. Or they are expecting to pick one up through the waivers.

8. conquistador#11

nice write up.

that production from hoyer would be 2011 schaub production before going down. if that's what we get from hoyer, pencil us in for 12 wins.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> were high on Greg Mancz the entire draft process. Injured during the college post season, landed him as a free agent injured.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/640270977398476800">September 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mancz spent all of rookie mini-camp and OTAs getting back to health from a shoulder issue. Team very high on him. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/640271278968967169">September 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> Roster Breakdown
    QBs-2
    RB-4
    FB-1
    TE-3
    WR-6
    OL-9
    OLB-4
    ILB-5
    DB-6
    S-5
    Specialist-3</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/640263276996067328">September 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I actually thought Thompson looked good at olb.
    Was concerned when I didn't see him on the roster yesterday.
    Glad to see he made it.

12. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

What exactly does Keshawn Martin do to make the team year after year? That is the only move that makes me really upset.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I know everyone here says this, but in the fourth preseason game, he really showed that he has more talent than the other bubble guys, as much as I hate to say it. He probably won't see the field this uesr, anyways.

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[youtube]TR-bsTkkXVY[/youtube]

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

He also got a lot more targets than the other WRs on the bubble.

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Red Bryant could be an option, I do like him and maybe him coming back home to Texas will allow him to get his stuff straight.

Mancz I believe will push Jones out of the starting role in 2 years, unless Jones becomes and upper echelon player at center. Mancz has all the footwork and hand work you want, he just lacks the strength because he didn't need it at his small school/weaker opponents. Once he hits the NFL weights for a season/offseason, He'll really turn some heads.

Slade has potential to develop to a nice backup guard, just sucks he's going to miss a season of practice because of his back. Showed some things.

Thompson was a definite head scratcher for me as well. He showed up here and there, but is very raw and is just now learning the position. He was probably kept as a place holder until they found better. Probably a priority practice squad guy once better depth is found.

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Before this year, we didn't have any depth at this position. I feel like Savage getting IR'd left that spot open. I don't think he's here that long. He has value in the league on WR needy teams. I think he's moved in some sort of trade.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I think the huge jump in targets for Martin in the 4th game was due to him being the most experienced guy, and also a sort of showcase to the rest of the league.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

65+% Comp - 3600 yds - 8 y/a - 22 Tds - 10 INT

If Hoyer can put these numbers up I'd have no problem with him being the starter for the next 3-4 yrs. It would allow the Texans to use their 1st and 2nd rounders on other areas of need and would give the team more flexibility under the salary cap.

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I don't think it's an impossibility, but I do feel that's the minimum performance you need for the Texans to be playoff bound. He's not winning you games per say, but he's keeping you in them so long as he's mistake free. That's game manager numbers. Basically, I'm hoping he can turn into Alex Smith. The Texans can win big with Alex Smith.