1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girlfriend talks boyfriend into suicide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Aug 25, 2015.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

This. Is. Farked.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...roy-suicide-case/story-fnixwvgh-1227497993461

WHEN Conrad Roy took his own life, police initially did not think it was suspicious.
    The Massachusetts teenager suffered from anxiety and had tried to commit suicide before. But in the days after his death, police began to suspect that it was not as simple as they first thought.
    As they trawled through his mobile phone they found more than 1000 text messages from a girl allegedly encouraging him to carry out the act. Those messages were from Michelle Carter, the granddaughter of his parent’s family friend whom he met while on vacation a few years earlier.
    In the six days leading up to his death, the pair had exchanged numerous messages, the content of which led police to charge the then 17-year-old Carter with involuntary manslaughter. It is understood this is the first time such a case has ever been tried worldwide.
    Now the details of those messages have been made public, and it doesn’t look good for Carter, who is trying to have the charges against her thrown out of court. She’s now 18 and is being prosecuted as an adult under the Massachusetts Youthful Offender Law.
    The Bristol County District Attorney’s office submitted the text messages in response to the motion filed by Carter’s lawyer to have the charges dismissed.
    Prosecutors claim Carter tried to guide Roy through the suicide, urging him to overcome doubts and telling him he would be at peace and that his parents wouldn’t suffer too much from his loss, The Sun Chronicle reported.

“I think your parents know you’re in a really bad place,” Carter tells him in the first series of text messages. “I’m not saying they want you to do it but I honestly feel like they can accept it.
    They know there is nothing they can do. They’ve tried helping. Everyone’s tried, but there is a point that comes where there isn’t anything anyone can do to save you, not even yourself.
    “And you’ve hit that point and I think your parents know you’ve hit that point. You said your mom saw a suicide thing on your computer and she didn’t say anything. I think she knows it’s on your mind and she’s prepared for it.
    “Everyone will be sad for a while but they will get over it and move on. They won’t be in depression. I won’t let that happen. They know how sad you are, and they know that you are doing this to be happy and I think they will understand and accept it.
    “They will always carry you in their hearts.”
    Roy responds: “Aww. Thank you, Michelle.”

Carter then tells him to stop “thinking about” it and “just do it” to which he responded: “I’ve been thinking about it for too long.”
    “Always smile, and, yeah, you have to just do it,” she writes back. “You have everything you need. There is no way you can fail. Tonight is the night. It’s now or never.”
    In other messages Carter tells Roy not to be “scared” because he had already made the decision and that he would finally be “happy in heaven”.
    “No more pain. No more bad thoughts and worries. You’ll be free. It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die. I would be concerned if you weren’t scared, but I know how bad you want this and how bad you want to be happy. You have to face your fears for what you want,” she adds.
    Roy was found dead in his pick-up truck on July 13, 2014.
    The night before his death the pair had exchanged dozens of messages in which Carter not only encourages him to go through with his plans, but appears to be frustrated that he has second thoughts.
    “You can’t think about it,’ she writes. “You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don’t get why you aren’t.”
    He responded: “I don’t get it either. I don’t know.”

“So I guess you aren’t gonna do it then. All that for nothing. I’m just confused. Like you were so ready and determined.”
    “I am gonna eventually. I really don’t know what I’m waiting for but I have everything lined up,” Roy writes back.
    “No, you’re not, Conrad. Last night was it. You kept pushing it off and you say you’ll do it, but you never do. It’s always gonna be that way if you don’t take action. You’re just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off. You just have to do it. Do you want to do it now?”
    Roy then writes back saying he thought it was too late and appears to have changed his mind but Carter insists that he does it that moment.

“No. It’s probably the best time now because everyone is sleeping. Just go somewhere in your truck and no one is really out there right now because it’s an awkward time. If you don’t do it now you’re never gonna do it, and you can say you’ll do it tomorrow, but you probably won’t. Tonight? Love you.”
    Then when Roy says he is scared and was “freaking out again” and worried about his family Carter writes back: “I thought you wanted to do this. This time is right and you’re ready. You just need to do it. You can’t keep living this way. You just need to do it like you did the last time and not think about it and just do it, babe. You can’t keep doing this every day.”
    When Roy says he will finally “do it” Carter responds by saying “You promise?”
    “I promise, babe. I have to now,” Roy writes back.
    Police have also alleged that in the days before Roy’s death, Carter had sent her friends text messages claiming the Roy had been missing for days and that she hadn’t heard from him.
    They claim Carter was continuing to encourage Conrad to take his own life while at the same time trying to put together a plan to get sympathy from her friends, People reported.
    But the most chilling allegation made by police is that when Roy had second thoughts and got out of his truck and texted Carter, she allegedly replied: “Get back in.”, The Washington Post reported.

The case continues.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

****in crazy man.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Would not hit. RIP young man.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is somewhat deplorable but not entirely. Maybe she truly believed he was suffering and that there was nothing left anyone could do. Some people view suicide differently than others.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Yeah...I'm not seeing how this specific situation is acceptable in any way.

oelman44 likes this.
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think it is outrageous that she is being criminally charged. For talking. This isn't shouting fire in a crowded theater. The boy did not have a sudden, visceral, uncontrollable reaction to her words, he just listened and his actions coincided with what she said. The boy could have told her to piss off. Clearly he was already interested in killing himself.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Somebody hit her with the ugly stick. Crazy *****

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Can people get charged criminally for verbal abuse? What if she were an adult and he was a minor? What if he had a clearly diagnosed mental condition she was aware of? Is a suicidal tendency a self-evident mental or health impairment? What kind of legal obligation would psychologists, health professionals or counselors have interacting with suicidal individuals in clinical versus social interactions? These are all admittedly rhetorical but also earnest hypothetical questions.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Theory and most probable truth is girls talk too much and guys too little about their own agendas

STR8Thugg and Jontro like this.
  10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Where is bill burr with his reasons to hit women rant?

Jontro likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can't believe some people here are saying she shouldn't be charged. He backed out multiple times and said he had doubts, this clearly indicates he saw something still left in his life. She then continued to pressure him into committing suicide, did you guys even read the whole article or wtf is wrong with you?

This girl actively talked someone into suicide, even when the person had doubts and wanted to back off. This is the same as murder to me, she ended a life and should rot in jail.

1 person likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think she would get life..... she probably ends up in juvie first and will be on probation

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Legality and the precedent it sets with regards to other citizens or scenarios is distinct from individual ethics or morals.

jae713 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This should go to the d&d.

She absolutely should be charged under whatever exisiting current laws possible and if needes, new laws should be written to clearly protect against this type of behavior towards those in such a state of mind.

She directed him to kill a person.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

His suicide coincided with her telling him to commit suicide. Nothing to see here. LOL.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Involuntary manslaughter sounds right. She was obviously careless with her encouragement like how a drunk driver could possibly kill someone on the road. But even if she's not convicted, the case alone would be punishment for most normal people. If she's truly crazy then she needs help before she hurts someone else.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Charlie Manson agrees with you.

18. conquistador#11

I'll let the trained Matlocks handle the law aspects, but the Morale, that is just one vicious little B' who was getting off on pushing him to do it. In that U.K article, the writer alludes to Romeo and Juliet. That's not even close to love pact.

1 person likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't see how involuntary applies when the guy wanted to back out multiple times and she knowingly pushed and pressured him until he finally did it. Also has nothing to so with careless, the b**** 100% knew she was making a person commit suicide that hadn't completely made up his mind and had doubts.

Like others said, I'd love it if they took this case for a new precedence and punish her as much as possible. Imagine being part of his family and seeing the texts, this was cold-blooded murder.

20. Raven

Raven Member

If true, she's evil to the bone and needs to be tossed into isolated custody for the rest of her life.