1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

First Astros Game

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketballin, Jul 23, 2015.

1. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

I've never been to an Astros home game and bought some tickets to tonight's game since I was in town. Anything cool/different about minute maid park from other parks? Any must see's while you're in the park? What's the best thing to eat there?

2. newAge_Rockets

I'm gonna screw up and forget some things, but I'll give it a shot!

Union Station: Very old, historic train station that serves as an entrance to Minute Maid Park. Very, very cool and gives you background into why we have a train above left field (90% of baseball fans just think it's random or something.

Tals Hill out in deep center field is extremely unique to Minute Maid Park but pays homage to old Crosley Field on Cincinnati. There aren't many balls hit put there, but the Hill is home to spectacular catches and horrific blunders.

The Crawford Boxes are a neat vantage point to watch a game, but even if you don't have tickets there I suggest you watch batting practice there. Very neat experience.

The home run pump and the view from that part of the park is nice.

The wall that showcases Astros history is worth a view.

The 5-7 grille is very popular, but I've yet to eat there since it's always so crowded.

Anyways I'm probably forgetting a few things, but that's a start.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the best baseball stadium in the south, and best stadium in Houston period.

Most food is standard ballpark fare... but I like the little bigs sliders.

Check out union station, buy something from the team store, walk the HR alley where they have a lot of historical stuff, go to the CF bar and catch an inning out there, but most importantly... root hard for your playoff contending astros as these games are a little more meaningful now.

4. Buck Turgidson

Do not do the wave.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I know you are asking for food recommendations, but FYI you're allowed to bring in a gallon-sized bag of food and your own bottled water. As far as food, I recommend the Texas Smoke BBQ stand in Section 124.

There's a memorial/historical display of Astros history in CF. If you have kids, they'll love the Minute Maid Squeeze play area. The Union Station team store at the LF entrance is nice. I don't think there's much in particular to see at the stadium. What differentiates the stadium? Obviously the layout of the field and architecture. The view of downtown is nice.

If your tickets aren't the best it should be easy to move down. When I take friends to the stadium for the first time I like to move around every couple innings to get different views. The stadium should be pretty full (>30,000) but still probably not an issue.

I usually park on the street downtown. It's free after 6PM.

If you aren't planning to drink sign up to be a designated driver in LF. You get a voucher for a free drink. If you are planning to drink beer, I'd recommend the Saint Arnold's stand in LF or the new Karbach beer offered right next to the upper deck escalators.

6. newAge_Rockets

Hey! I found Matt Thomas.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I think I went from not liking the wave to finding it an act of domestic terrorism as a result of 790.

8. Buck Turgidson

No idea who that is, but if you're over the age of 12 and enjoy the wave you are a dumbass.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

He's the host of the Astros 10th Inning call in show after each game. He feels the same as you about the wave.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You're a weakass for calling someone dumbass over the internet.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

not necessarily from the platform where the pump is but in outfield between the pump and the crawford boxes, catch a couple of innings there

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

What a first Astros home game to go to! Hope you had a blast.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He is a guy who doesn't fear V's