1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Roster as of 7-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 19, 2015.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Edited: to account for the Ty Lawson trade!

Ty Lawson - PG
    Patrick Beverly - PG - can be dealt after 12/15
    James Harden - SG
    Marcus Thornton - SG - can be dealt after 12/15
    Trevor Ariza - SF
    Corey Brewer - SG/SF - can be dealt after 12/15
    Sam Dekker - SF - can be dealt 30 days after he signed his rookie contract
    KJ McDaneils - SG/SF - can be dealt after 12/15
    Donatas Motiejunas - PF/C
    Terrence Jones - PF
    Montrezl Harrell - PF - rights can be traded now prior to signing a contract or can be dealt after 12/15 after signing his contract
    Dwight Howard - C
    Clint Capela - C
    Chrisian Wood - C/PF - can be dealt after 12/15

Jason Terry and Josh Smith are gone although Terry could conceivably be back. After the Lawson trade we now have 13 players currently under contract plus Montrezl Harrell makes 14. I believe Woods contract is non guaranteed and most likely makes him training camp fodder. I would not be surprised to see Chuck Hayes and Jason Terry resigned to vet minimum deals to fill out the roster.

With the addition of Lawson we now have great playmaker and what might be the best guard rotation in the league. We certainly have a good group of veteran talent and young talent. Capela looks to be ready to be a permanent fixture in the rotation.

#1 crash5179, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. OpenLayup-Why3?

We haven't signed Hayes yet?

3. crash5179

It hasn't been reported.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for the update crash.

5. gogispade

gogispade Member

C'mon @CyberX, give us some updates on upcoming trades!!

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We have a deal with Christian Wood?

7. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

FA deal
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: UNLV forward Christian Wood – one of the highest-rated talents to go unselected – has agreed to a free agent deal with Houston.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/614568393333690369">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Crash. Loads of players and a lot of talent, yet a roster out of balance at the one. Something has to go down. We need another point guard who is good enough to backup Bev, or step in if Bev suffers, again, from the "i" word (yeah, I'm superstitious when it comes to that one thing!). I've been hoping that we'd end up with Bev as a 6th man behind a starting quality point, but so far, nada. Now I will "settle" for a quality backup. Johnson hasn't really shown us anything as a point, not yet, and Pablo (if Terry is a 120 years old) is 125 years old. I'm assuming he's retired/gone, although he had some nice moments here and there. A pure point, which was a trip to see on this team.

Something has to go down at some juncture and before the season, I hope. Morey still has some heavy lifting to do.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

FYI, as draft picks, Dekker and Montrezl can be traded 30 days after they are signed.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

We got too many wing players/power forwards and not enough PGs.

11. crash5179

Thanks! I'll correct my post.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

But that doesn't mean we will use wings/forwards to trade for a guard. You could just as easily see a consolidation trade for an all-star forward.

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I'm more concerned about the roster as a whole.

Current players:
    1. Dwight Howard
    2. James Harden
    3. Trever Ariza
    4. DMo
    5. Patrick Beverly
    6. TJones
    7. Corey Brewer
    8. Nick Johnson - I really hope Nick can be the 8th man but I seriously doubt it.
    9. Clint Capella
    10. Marcus Thorton - likely further up the list but I haven't seen him play much

11. Sam Deker
    12. Montrez Harrel
    13. KJ McD
    14. KPap
    15. Prigs
    16. Joey Dorsey
    17. Christian Wood

We gotta drop 3 players just so we can add another PG and I would really like to see Alvin Williams in there somewhere. While I think Dorsey and Prigs are at the bottom I think we need both if nothing else changes. Obviously we have a lot of wings but I think all of them are keepers?

I think the roster should be:

3 PG - Bev, Nick J, Prigs
    5 Post - DH12, DMo, Capella, TJones, Montrez,
    7 Wings - Harden, Ariza, Brewer, Thorton, Dekker, KJ, KPap

This leaves Dorsey and Wood the odd men out if nothing changes and obviously PG is a problem. I liked the Dekker pick but looking at this roster, he better be a bad mofo or Jerian Grant and Tyus better suck cause we need some serious help.

One thing I have been wondering, does Morey think we even need a PG? IMO Morey believes that we only need a couple of smaller faster defenders (Nick J and Beverly) in case the other team has a Parker, CP3 or Curry type player that we need to slow down as much as we can. A solid ball handling 2 can bring the ball up, facilitate the offense and can switch on defense without creating a big mismatch every time. Often times a guy like Corey Brewer can be more effective on a guy like Curry.

Then again, Prigs got a lot of time during the playoffs, so maybe I am way off but we did play both CP3 and Curry without Bev.

Whatever the end result is, this off-season is NOT done.

I posted this in another thread but it makes more sense here.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We are primed for a 3 or 4 for 1 balancing trade. A trade for Lawson would just be so so perfect.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is there any credible report to Nick Johnson's improvements of game?

Can/will KJ be used at the 1 (with the Harden Point usage)?

Has Capella worked on building muscle? Shooting?

Yes, if Lawson then likely the several out "identified" already; but, will he be brought in (after his rehab)?

Summer questions, is all...

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

solve our pg problems by swarming the opposing team with wings. not bad morey, not bad at all. get some more midget pfs while you're at it. CHUCK HAYES!

17. JD88

JD88 Member

That's gotta be the goal.

We have so much potential on our bench, all we need now is a bad team looking for talent with a disgruntled leader.

18. mockster

mockster Member

Deal pap, tjones, pagrino, Joey dorsy and maybe Nick johnson

19. elainas

elainas Member

If there will be McHale will -- he would play 7 deep, now with such roster(and raise some players value before TD for DM) we play 9 deep! Others won't see sun if none will be injure thats fact.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Agree! Don't care for any. Even if Dekker is thrown in a deal. I'll do it.