1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford] Ranking NBA draft prospects by tiers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by redhotrox, Jun 20, 2015.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/13107246/nba-draft-how-pros-do-ranking-prospects-tiers

2. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx for posting this!

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is Jahlil Okafor Emeka's brother?

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He is a distant cousin of Emeka Okafor

5. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Was Ford actually this high on Davis at the time or is this another rewriting of history by him?

My bone to pick is putting Winslow next to Hezonja. I can't imagine any NBA team would take Winslow over Hezonja.

6. Chamillionaire

I don't see us picking Tyus Jones when we can pick BPA and get a PG through trades or FA signing.

Llull and Bev or an improvement thereof.

7. Chamillionaire

I hope we get Guillermo Hernangomez, C, Spain and stash him over there next year so we can get CC and DMo more playing time if they're here.

8. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

IF Morey likes Grant as much as I do, then Grant is a good pick if he doesn't like the Bigs there. But I expect Morey to go Big.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, but Morey is just so damn unpredictable with never tipping his hand. Looks like there is some value if a big falls to the rockets at #18. How many people in here could predict he would take Clint Capela in last years draft?

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

Many, because it was pretty clear we had to draft a stash. Other question - who would've believed we bring him here the same year?

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Been saying this all year about Towns being the best prospect in the nation. I really do think he's going to be the next best offensive big. Dirk Hybrid if you will.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

This. :p

Stopped reading/taking this guy seriously.

Why do we take this guy as basketball gospel?

Chad Fraud Big Board!
    Chad Fraud Mock Draft!
    Chad Fraud Tiers!
    Chad Fraud this!
    Chad Fraud that!

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Reality of CFraud is he listens to, and repeats, what he is told by his (legit) insiders - - who use him as the disinformation station.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly.

I like reading about the players and their talents and I'm a big NBA Draft nerd, but Chad Ford knows as we all should that GMs, coaches, and especially agents are using him for their own benefit.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The thing I like about the Tiers column is that Chad Ford presumably polls many different NBA front offices. Even if every front office is trying to throw misinformation at him, the fact that Ford is compiling a consensus view largely negates that misinformation. For instance, if Team A wants to hide a player it likes in a lower tier, it will still need to name good players for the tiers above. Meanwhile, other teams will have different players to hide and will likely suggest the Team A's player as worthy of that higher tier.

All in all, I think the Tiers column is still a useful resource for the average fan trying to determine which players should be drafted ahead of others.

16. Progs

Progs Member

I bet Morey likes Bobby Portia if he drops to 18, then trade T Jones. Also Anthony Brown out of Stanford at 32 could be an option as well.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A good point.

Overall I don't care about Chad Ford's re-drafting after-the-fact, whatever he does. Most of what he provides is an insight into what teams are seeing in these workouts.

A lot of the "Lakers and Knicks and Phila might take Porzingis" stuff? I can only smile. Yeah, they miiiiiiiiight draft a Porzingis, but you know there's a lot of disinformation out there. And there are plenty of sportswriters looking for page hits....click. click.

But if Tyus Jones really is a tier 5 dude, I hope we have plans for more of an upgrade. Not that the tier system is infallible. Not that I thought a rookie would come in here and run the team.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i've used it during the draft the past number of years. its pretty accurate. much more so than any mock draft.

one takeaway for me is that it doesn't make sense at all to try moving up. we'd have to move up to #8 to get a player 1 tier higher. of course their might be a player from a higher tier who slides to the late lotto, but then why would that team trade down if they just got a steal?

also, since we are drafting near the lower end of the tier, it also doesn't make sense to trade down. i'd say we either use #18 for the BPA or trade it (hopefully) in a package for someone like lawson or lowry.

finally, if the consensus among GMs is that the next tier after us is borderline nba players" i'd bet good money on taking a euro-stash pick, and hoping tht guy turns out to be an nba player in a few years. or, use it in a trade package for a PG.

#18 smoothie, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree with you Bima 100%. I've always liked Fords tier system polling.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Portis has still open plates and will grow more so he will be able to play C. He will be gone 15-17. Also Brown is a lock for Brooklyn if they cant trade up.
    I want to see who gave the promise to Martin. Ferry and Presti give promises early on but Ferry is now out and Presti at #14 is too much of a reach.