1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros starting line-up and areas of greatest needs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MojoMan, Jun 17, 2015.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Astros have continued to upgrade their roster from their farm system, despite an unexpectedly strong start to the season. This is clearly a work in progress, with more players expected to advance as time goes on.

So, the Astros current two areas of greatest need are a third baseman and another starting pitcher.

Luis Valbuena does not appear to be the long-term answer at third base. The only player on the roster who looks like he might be able to fill that spot is Jed Lowrie, who is currently injured. Meanwhile, there does not appear to be a player in the minors at third base that looks likely to be ready within the next year or so.

At starting pitcher, the Astros have recently promoted Lance McCullers and Vincent Velasquez. We all hope they do well, but both are young and there is no guarantee that they will continue at their current level. Meanwhile, Mark Appel is not ready and the Astros still could use one more really good starting pitcher to help get them ready to compete at the next level, which would be the playoffs. There has been talk of a trade for a 1-3 starting pitcher, and that appears to be the most likely answer to this question, which is currently the number one need of this Astros team.

For reference, as of June 17, 2015, here is a link to a depth chart, along with the starting line-up below for the Houston Astros:

Starting Lineup
    DH Evan Gattis
    C Jason Castro (Hank Conger filling in)
    1B Chris Carter
    2B Jose Altuve
    3B Luis Valbuena
    SS Carlos Correa
    LF Preston Tucker (Domingo Santana filling in)
    CF Jake Marisnick
    RF George Springer

Starting Rotation
    1. D. Keuchel
    2. C. McHugh
    3. B. Oberholtzer
    4. L. McCullers
    5. V. Velasquez

Bullpen
    L. Gregerson (CL)
    C. Qualls
    P. Neshek
    T. Sipp
    W. Harris
    R. Hernandez
    J. Fields
    J. Thatcher

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you think we need to trade for a 3rd baseman and a SP?

Gee, if only there were a thread for the random speculation of such ideas?

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bite me, troll.

I think the Astros need to trade for a starting pitcher and probably move Jed Lowrie over to start at third base when he comes back, maybe next month.

However, I would like to see players continuing to advance out of the minors at every position, and considering what a renaissance the Astros farm system has had over the last five years, it is a little discouraging not to see a bit more high level depth at AA and AAA at these two positions.

4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahahahaha!

Thanks for posting that depth chart, as well! I thought Harrell was starting today, and was almost sad.

Also, what a great time to write off Valbuena!

#4 crose, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Where is Rasmus??? He has the 2nd or 3rd best OPS on the team right now, I wouldn't leave him out.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is a good point. The Astros seem to be kind of loaded in the outfield spots, with players like Rasmus and either Tucker or Santana sitting on the bench. meanwhile, the Astros cannot seem to rustle up a similar quality third baseman from anywhere in their system.

However, Jed Lowrie could possibly meet that threshold if the Astros move him to third base when he returns, as he was playing pretty well at short stop before he went out, and he does have experience playing third base.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Domingo, Mars, or Rasmus are on the block.

Can't see them trading Tucker after drafting his brother.

I really want to see Domingo stay with the club though. His numbers this year in AAA suggest his stint with the Astros this time around might be a WHOLE lot better.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That also gives him viable trade value (moreso than Rasmus, Singleton).

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

3B really isn't a great need. Valbuena hits HR's & plays a good glove. His average will rise.

We need a top tier starting pitcher around Keuchel, Feldman, McHugh & McCullers. And from there id say an elite closer around a very above average pen (Gregerson, Neshek, Qualls, Sipp, Thatcher, Obie)

There's not much that I'd toy with that's in the starting lineup. The bench could be upgraded, but it's still not bad. I'd say give this new coaching staff and young talent time to develop on this level.

Pitching is what I'd look for with a reasonable return

10. raining threes

An ace

Catcher

Lowrie getting healthy, I wonder if Lowrie can play some LF and take on a Zobrist role? I think he's athletic enough to do well in this role.

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I think we are fine at catcher, Castro has been great defensively and his offense while not great hasn't been terrible.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We have two.

Need to find that third pitcher.

I am convinced McCullers is the real deal. Stuff is nasty.

Lowrie will platoon.

Catcher-we are good there.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Starting pitcher is much easier to decide since we have slots that could be taken by a stud Ace.

On the lineup, since we're so deep, I think the Stros will just see who becomes available and then make a critical decision. If a stud 3rd Baseman becomes available, do they trade for him knowing Lowrie is coming back and Val is due for a 35 HR season? Do we trade for a LF with Rasmus / Tucker? Do we trade for a 1B with Carter / Singleton there? Much tougher, but if the batter is good enough, I think it's doable. Not like we have a lot of high $$ committed any one position player long term.

14. Buck Turgidson

It's interesting that people just assume Lowrie will come back and be the same guy he was early in the season. Hand/wrist injuries are notoriously difficult to get over, it could be next season before he's truly back to normal. He hasn't even picked up a bat yet, so he's still a long way away.

I am definitely curious to see how he looks at 3B though, since we are all just assuming he can be decent there.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Starting pitcher is obviously the most glaring need. We really could use one more top of the rotation guy with McHugh struggling and McCullers being a rookie and likely on an innings limit.

As far as the lineup, I think we could upgrade 1B or 3B. Valbuena & Carter are very inconsistent. No spot in the lineup is a glaring problem though.

16. Major

Major Member

There's also a lot of question what his "normal" is. We know he is not the 1.000 OPS guy that he was for a few weeks to start the year. Last season, he had a 0.675 OPS - he's probably better than that. But he has a lot of variance to his game and his seasons.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Wish we would have made the move for Donaldson in the offseason instead of Gattis.

18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Valbuena has a .164 BABIP at the moment. No way that can stay that low. If he even gets that to .200, he will bring his average up to about .225 and his OPS would probably be pushing .800.
    Who are you going to get that is going to be decidedly better than him?
    I think a starting pitcher is really the only spot that you can get someone that is going to be substantially better than what you have.

19. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I was all for that. I'm sure they talked with Oakland, takes 2 to tango though.

20. Buck Turgidson

He's had so many injuries that it really is hard to predict. I have no idea how you could determine what a healthy Lowrie's level of production is.