1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do people feel about Max now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Jun 12, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I'm wondering how people feel about him now that he's embraced the city again, came to the reunion, have heard again why so many people love him, have forgiven him, stayed friends with him, were very close with him despite all the issues, was such a big part of the team as was evidenced by the new documentary as well.

To me, it's a sigh of relief that Maxwell opened up about it and finally admitted he was wrong. I still loved the guy, despite all the of court issues, the way he left the team and everything, because I cared about his on court effort and play for the Rockets. Now you see he's matured and while he's done thing off the court that could make you easily judge him and say he's despicable.

There's quite a long list of felony charges, involvement with prostitutes, guns, his son saying he doesn't want to be anything like him, problems with child support and keeping in touch, the statement he made about Magic Johnson coming back in 96 about how he would not want to come close to him because of AIDS etc.

Now you see that he's just a human being with flaws who owned up to his mistakes and I hope many people see him in a different / better light. His team mates liked and loved him, still do and to hear all the wonderful things Horry and others have said, Max saying he's embracing Houston again, I sincerely hope this is the start of something beautiful and Max will be around a lot more Rockets and Houston related events, celebrations, reunions etc.

One thing though, I wish he would've realised his true potential. I remember Doug Collins and plenty of others commenting on Maxwell being so much more than just a outside shooter. Game 3 vs. Suns in 94 proved that more so than any game, but also the games against MJ in early 90s. He was so quick, so strong, could get by MJ and had crazy athleticism and so gifted with talent.

It's too bad he kind of settled for being an outside threat, because that guy was something special: a true combo guard with the dead eye shooting and ball handling PG skills and could've gotten many triple-doubles and All-Star appearances easily. I don't know what it is, but he needed a fire lit under him like playing his former team the Spurs (did great against them), best guard in MJ, down 0-2 vs. Suns, game 7 vs. Knicks, down late in the 4th which lead to all those clutch plays and shots.

So how you guys feel about him in general?

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

3. Know Your Role

He was a man of extremes. When he was playing well, he could be the best teammate on the court. When he was playing bad he could be the worst human to step on the court. His lifestyle was the same way. He did some really really sickening messed up things in his personal life. But look at him now, listen to his stories. You can tell he's turned it around from that and seems to be a good, drug/drama free person. I hope we get to see more of him. Honestly, he looks like he could suit up if we are in game 7 of the finals and need a closeout, dagger 3.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He says he's at his playing weight.
    I believe he could score 100 points on steve francis now.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Max certainly went through an extended scumbag period, but he seems to be doing really well now. Happy for him.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

People who lived that era loved mad max and knew his personality,
    Only the self righteous newbs expect nba players to be ghandi or the dali lama.
    Just think about it, would you be mad if you got demoted at your job? Max just over reacted.

I find hilarious that some people criticize james harden for what he does off court. So he wants to see drake? Nothing wrong with that except for the bad music.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was pretty upset with him when he quit on the team.

But as with any relationship, the more time goes by, you tend to forget about the bad times and only remember the good times.

All is 100% forgiven on my end (I'm sure he was really concerned about this). Just seeing how he's turned himself around really makes me love the guy even more than I did 20 years ago.

8. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

oh man. I bet mad max is so relieved that you forgave him.

9. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Ive always loved mad max ,he was real . You could feel his energy ,that grind . Everyone has devils ,he was young im sure many would handle things worse if you read all these meltdowns on the board lol . Time heals all wounds . I choose to remember the good times . Those clutch shots ,that defense his intensity ,how he made you feel that moment in the suns series . He was a mad man !!!!

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I have forgiven Scottie Pippen.

:mad: :p ;)

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He looks younger than Steve Francis...

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Personally, I'm okay with the "That's No Moon" jokes and other quirks. So my feelings on MadMax have not really changed in a while.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Always a sad end. I wish he had stayed with us. With Horry sliding to PF, Clyde could have played SF and Max the off guard. It would have been an interesting line-up.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

We won another championship.
    Sad my ass

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His situation was similar to Asik's situation. A lot of people slammed Asik but gave Max a pass. The way I saw it, the only difference is Max's heroic in the previous championship run. He was in the right time and right place.

I didn't think Max should be given a pass. But now that he has come out and said what he said, I think it is cool. No more bad feelings against him.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Right time at Right place? Only difference is a championship? That's huge difference dude. Like Mountain vs Ant mound.
    No dude, he ignited Clutch City.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Vernon Maxwell with a magical Game 3 performance in the 1994 Western Conference Semifinals. Watch the highlights! <a href="http://t.co/2fxfEnU2Cp">http://t.co/2fxfEnU2Cp</a></p>&mdash; NBA TV (@NBATV) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/608090730762936320">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe we would have won 2 more.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

True.

maybe Les wouldn't make our uniforms look like clown suits too.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Mad Max was my favorite Rocket back then ... Still like him today. Its not very often that people tell it how it is rather than lie to our faces about issues .... Max didn't beat around the bush and was honest about those issues.

Today everyone is "politically correct" to your face but when your back is turned they call you all kinda ****. Closet racists , bigots , homophobes and the like.

20. xaos

xaos Member

I would pay him a max contract