1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros plan to remove Tal's Hill in 2016, move CF fences in.
    Full story: <a href="http://t.co/0hjYsbyeyM">http://t.co/0hjYsbyeyM</a></p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/606505773712076800">June 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is big news.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

$15MM cost, to be paid for in full by the organization.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't like it... never thought the hill was that bad, and the deep CF does neutralize some of the cheaper LF/LCF HR's. I don't like it when they overly mess with dimensions of parks for reasons other than simply baseball reasons (nobody has gotten hurt on that hill/flagpole in 15 years, btw... its NOT the main reason).

This screams of trying to maximize revenue... as they plan on putting a bar/restaraunt area in CF similar to what they did in Chicago.

I actually think they should try and find a way to move the visitors bullpen, and open up THAT area to fans... would be a very unique place to watch a game.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I liked the hill, it was a unique feature that made for some exciting plays. They found a way to make more money so that's always going to win out.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Still going to be the sixth deepest CF in the league. If it maximizes revenue and in turn gives us more money to work with then I am all for it.

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they moved this, but getting rid of it and the citgo sign would do more to make it a "pretty" ballpark than removing tal's hill

[​IMG]

9. Nook

Nook Member

Things like Tal's Hill are part of what makes MMP one of the top 5-6 ball parks in baseball.... I know this is being done for money, and I am not going to rip the Astros for it, as that is how it is..

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Injuries by the hill and flag pole" ha ha!! Maybe get rid of the gimmick choo-choo train too?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CF distance of 436 feet would move to 409 feet, moving Minute Maid Park from the deepest center distance to the sixth-farthest in the league</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/606507267421134848">June 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I will say that in 16 years of Minute Maid Park, no player has ever gotten injured on the hill</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/606509646073995266">June 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

#10 J.R., Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ugh this is a dumb move.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just sets up a slippery slope... they could easily get rid of the crawford boxes for "baseball" reasons as well, and try to build stands attached on the wall or something zany. They could move both bullpens for more seats/concessions and stash them some other place. This same short-sighted quick-change/maximize revenue thinking is what led to the initial atrocity of the signs last year.

Once they started tinkering with the Astrodome dimensions/outfield stuff, they never stopped.... and everyone would universally say that it was a "better" baseball park before all the changes.

MMP was a nicer place to watch a game in 2004 than it is now... hopefully these continued changes don't continue to ruin it.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

In the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal. They aren't gonna get rid of the Crawford Boxes.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I believe the answer is one fewer than the number of injuries sustained by Mariano Rivera in the flat outfield in KC.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Slippery slope... when revenue is acutely tied into what the ballpark can bring in, crazy things happen.

MMP dimensions were made this way for a reason (to mitigate the short porches in LF, RF, and LCF)... they could just as easily get rid of the hill/flagpole and extend the warning track, without changing the dimension, if they were really overly concerned about "safety".

The HR/park factor numbers will probably approach the top 5 now (even if its still the "6th" deepest)... about where Camden is.

In 20 years, people will speak of the Hill just like they spoke of the Astrodome scoreboard... HA!

1 person likes this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

I wish it was staying

[​IMG]

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe they will put a swimming pool or waterslide. Or maybe a cool musical fountain in the teams colors.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally would like to see them utilize this space to hire a troupe of mimes who can pretend to be in a box most of the game but manage to climb out and be excited every time there is a homerun.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is going to be cool.

[​IMG]

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Mixed feelings. I really like the uniqueness of the hill. MMP was such (and still is) a nice ball park. The ads on the columns suck...but honestly it's still a nice atmosphere...but I hope they don't tinker too much with the dimensions.

I wouldn't mind hanging out at a bar / sit down area in CF if that's what it comes to.