1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Harden would like help at guard:&quot;That's 1 of the conversations me &amp; Daryl r going 2 have &amp; the coaches,1 of the pieces we need to add&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/604314227243769856">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think this deserves its own thread as it is the team's franchise player publicly calling for a specific position to be addressed. Lots of fan theories about big game hunting for a major PF upgrade, but I think it will be hard for Morey to ignore the PG spot this year.

Who should they target? What does it mean for Bev?

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm glad Harden is upfront about it, and not pretending it isn't a real issue.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

So what happens to Bev?

Jeremy Lin coming back to troll?

Just kidding.

But in all seriousness, I didn't see it coming that he'll be voicing that out.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bev isn't coming back. :p And, yes obviously but don't know I would air it out like that if I were Harden.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Bev is as good as gone. He doesn't want to play second fiddle to an incoming player, and the Rockets do not want to overpay him. He and TJones probably won't be Rockets next year.

6. justtxyank

I didn't see it coming either.

1) A PG upgrade takes the ball out of Harden's hand which it was debatable whether he would be ok with

2) A PG upgrade impacts Beverly. It's one thing to want to upgrade over Bev but it's another to SAY you want to publicly lol.

3) In general for Harden to call for a specific change is surprising. It will probably put Morey on a hot seat of sorts with fans.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Sounds like Berman brought it up, point blank... at least he didn't dodge the question in spirit of being nice. That said, agreed, if I were PBev I wouldn't like reading that.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I think we are going to target Ty Lawson due to him publicly saying he wants out and Denver overhauling

I don't really like Lawson but as far as decent PG's that would make Harden happy he is the most realistic option

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sergio Llull? Lowry? Lawson? NBA Draft?
    Will Beverley be back?
    Terry probably back at vet minimum.
    Where do we see Nick Johnson fitting in long term?
    Can KJ defend PGs? (with Harden as his backcourt mate)

10. justtxyank

Would have been easy for Harden to say "I love the guys on this team. I haven't even thought about changes man, still recovering from the WCF. We have to get better at everything next year."

To specifically say yes, get me help at guard I'll talk to the GM about that is a pretty strong statement. I bet it doesn't make Bev feel that great.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol @ people didnt see it coming. if you watched the playoffs it should have been pretty clear. in fact it was a problem that eventually would come out even before that

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'm glad Harden realizes that this is a necessity. Harden is justifiably getting flak for all the turnovers in game 5, but I am happy that he is only handling the ball so much because the Rockets have absolutely no other ball handling option (besides Josh Smith, so, yeah), and not because Harden himself is insisting on making that his role.

Unlike Smith (who will take shots too early in the shot clock no matter who else is on the floor) or Dwight (who will want more touches in the post no matter how bad the offense functions when that happens), Harden is not someone forcing himself into a role that he has problems filling, he is just filling that role because the Rockets have absolutely no other option right now.

If you put a secondary ball handler on the team, it will mean more easy open shots created for Harden, as well as less offensive lulls when Harden is on the bench.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

On the positive side, you see him as a leader, hopefully. As in the other thread, failures are necessarily evil and he needs those to get fired, look like.

14. justtxyank

George Hill and Kyle Lowry are the two PGs I would like the best that I think are potentially available.

I laid it out it another thread, but Indiana has pursued Dragic before. If they want to clear space to pursue him again, they could move George Hill for Papa/Prigs and a pick and then waive those two guys and free $8 million instantly.

15. DenisM

DenisM Member

I would hate letting Bev go. He brings that energy, toughness, defense and even rebounding. It would be perfect if he could play 15-20 minutes, to give us some burst.

But, I don't think that Bev wants that. He will probably leave us if he isn't guaranteed the starting spot.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Thats what leaders need to do, and if he wants to lead the team this would be the right thing to do

1 person likes this.
  17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup someone gets it. it was a luxury to have harden be able to play that role. it shouldn't be his job over the span of a full season/career. he is not a pg.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Watching what Sergio Lull can do on both ends of the court he would a welcomed addition to the team next season. Plus he has a beard:grin:

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.