1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second Round Sleeper - Richaun Holmes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, May 26, 2015.

1. basketballholic

6'10" 243 lbs PF.

Played at Bowling Green in the MAC. So competition is the biggest concern. But I seen enough at the combine that I'm convinced this kid can play. He plays with a lot of passion.

Defensively - 9'0" standing reach with a 32.5" standing vertical/36" max vertical. And he's very quick off his feet. And he slides very good. Blocks a good amount of shots and is in position to change plenty of others.

NBA quality size, length, and athleticism.

Offensively - He's got a little bit of everything. Good post moves. Can handle some. Good face-up game. And a blossoming 3-point shot.

Immeasurables - This dude plays with Paul Millsap/Karl Malone type passion. In fact, if you watch him run the floor and finish you'll be reminded of Karl. Tries to dunk everything around the rim. Gets to the FT line a ton as a result of his aggressiveness. And knocks down his freebies at over 70%.

Right now Draft Express has him projected at 43. I find it hard to believe he stays there and doesn't move up. I think he'll be better than many PFs drafted in the first round. I think he's a second round steal.

Watch:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KmGPlCkXzKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Un210gOvaA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1I6vmg3gB8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vivi likes this.
  2. Normalus

Normalus Member

Very nice find, may be great prospect! In addition smart kid, coming out of good family..

3. basketballholic

Size? Check

Length? Check

Athleticism? Check

Skills? Check

IQ? Check

Character? Check

Drive? Check

It's all there man.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Interesting. And why he hasn't cracked the first round yet?
    There are a few projected second rounders that I am convinced could end up better than the projected late first rounders but are mostly internationals. Like Hernagomez , Vezenkov and Osman.

5. basketballholic

I suspect 2 reasons:

1. He's from Bowling Green. They're in the MAC. Small school. Don't play anybody substantial.

2. He's a graduating senior. Not a highly touted freshman coming out or even a raw freshman. He'll be 22 by training camp.

I can't think of anything else. Not trying to sell this kid but I see a lot of stuff in his game. The skills, the animation, the strong finishes, the defense, etc. Lots of fundamentals, lots of athleticism, and a wide, varied skillset. Flashes of Karl Malone with his finishes and rambles down the lane. An older, slightly smaller Karl Anthony Townes but with better athleticism at this stage of their respective careers.

When you consider he's got a 9' standing reach with a 32.5" standing vertical. That is 11'8.5" of length straight up in the air when he contests in the paint. And we're not even talking about stepping up and moving where he can get to 12' and beyond vertical reach. Look at the other bigs in this draft. Precious few of them can land a standing vertical reach of 11'8.5" or a true max vertical of 12' or more. He has rare athleticism. And you've seen a little video on his skill set and his passion for the game.

IQ? Dude's FTr is over 50%. He knows how to take contact and get to the free throw line. And he knows how to knock 'em down. So he doesn't have to shy away from contact but can instead go after contact and create it. That's a huge, huge factor in offensive success for big men. He's got it.

There's just so many things to like about this kid.....and it's difficult to find any not to like. Perhaps....he can develop his body even more and get even stronger?????? What a problem there. :rolleyes:

But basketball wise, character wise, drive, talent, developed NBA skill sets, etc......sure difficult to find anything not to like about his game.

6. basketballholic

And like clockwork....now this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Fast rising Bowling Green F Richaun Holmes has 15 team workouts scheduled ahead of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADraft?src=hash">#NBADraft</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/BGSUMHoops">@BGSUMHoops</a></p>&mdash; Zach Links (@ZachLinks) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLinks/status/603291481277870080">May 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Virtually every <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a> team has called on Richaun Holmes, but there's not enough dates on the calendar to fit everyone in, I'm told. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADraft?src=hash">#NBADraft</a></p>&mdash; Zach Links (@ZachLinks) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLinks/status/603291605240537089">May 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

That was the way I found Robert Covington - he had everything, but was in pretty lame competition and didn't play against best teams. He end up undrafted, Morey signed him for guaranteed contract out of nowhere if I remember right. Now he's one of the best in Phila.

Pretty similar to this kid, had no time to dig deeper but he looks really interesting.

8. basketballholic

Except Holmes won't go undrafted..........

9. malakas

malakas Member

I'm getting a little irritated about age being held so much against these guys.
    Yes age is not just a number at these ages but most important of all is IMPROVEMENT IN THE LEAGUE. How can teams be so blind? What does it matter if someone like i.e Harris/Knight/Jones is 22 when he had 4 years in the league? The development happens in the NBA not on some college where as far I know, I'm not american so don't have all the details like you guys, players are forbidden from even training full hours???

I hope this kid is drafted in the early second and won't get taken advantage of with a Hinkie special of 1 mil per 4 years unguaranteed like poor Convington.

10. basketballholic

I understand what you're saying here. I'd take this guy over Lyles, Harrell, McCullough, Wood, and several other bigs. Simply because I've got more confidence that he will be a more effective NBA player than any of those I named even though they are younger.

However, it's still relatively early. And most NBA teams are really smart. I suspect he'll rise up to the first round since it's obvious that many teams are looking at him.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Absolutely. Harrell is too undersized though I like him because of his passion but he won't be able to be a center like his game is suited. Wood wasn't the one who showed out of shape in the combine? If one can't show up in shape at one of the most important days of his future then work ethic is in the minus. Lyles I don't know..he was unlucky in his college too much talent in one team can work against you. The workouts will be important for him as well.

Btw nbadraft has him at 40 to Miami. But it also has Upshaw at the end of the second round so ...

12. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

The second highlight in the first clip (alley-oop) was awesome.

13. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Sorry for the second post, but also 2:00 of the third (dunk) video- Dear God.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i'm sold...tough choices for our second round selection

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He looks good and confident. If he is available at 32, Morey should take him. We were lucky to get Landry as a high second rounder, Holmes might be able to do well too.

He seems to have a fair amount of upside.

#15 saleem, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Something about Richaun makes me think he will be a better all around player than Frank Kaminsky.

17. basketballholic

Here's the lastest on Richaun Holmes. Sure looks like he's got a shot as a late first rounder now.

I want this kid so bad at #32.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/featur...2015-draft-feauture-richaun-holmes/index.html

I suspect this guy will get taken between 20-30 in the first round if any of those teams have any kind of brains. If he is there at 32 I so wish Morey would take him. This is a longer Draymond Green waiting to happen if he is there at 32.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

whats his shooting like ballholic ?

19. basketballholic

He's got a great foundation (good basic mechanics) for being a plus shooter. Not consistent right now. But he did shoot over 40% from 3. At the end of one of the videos I posted you can see him knocking down several 3 balls.

Everything is in place for this guy. I feel as strongly about him as I felt about Whiteside last year. This guy could be a difference maker as a rookie.

#19 basketballholic, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he would definitely get into the rotation from day one. This is who they should replace Dorsey with.