1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are getting THERE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, May 22, 2015.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I do remember NBA TV preview video before Dallas series, where both McHale and Harden said the same thing: the biggest Rockets advantage in 2015 playoffs is the fact that this team had no peaks whatsoever in regular season games, had no streaks because of injuries.

This team wasn't able to build enough room to represent themselves as a legitimate Title contenders, so nobody picked up this team as their favourite to win this bloodbath West, but right now you can see that they are playing better and better from game to game after two blowouts by Clippers.

You can see consistency and consistency is the only measure of being classy

They are on the same page, 5 weeks of playing with nearly the same rotation are certainly showing us what they are capable of doing.

Your Houston Rockets:

• have shown consistent effort and character
    • won 5 rebound battles in a row
    • hold their opposition under 35% on threes (Rockets were the best 3pt FG% defensive team in regular season) in 5 straight games
    • have outscored the opposition in points in the paint every night on this stretch
    • were able to stop league's best offenses on every single occasion by their defense with Dwight in the middle. Every single game they are having those stretches of championship caliber defense

We are getting THERE. We are getting to the peak of this team's capabilities and this team's real power. We are close, I'm starting to feel it.

We are the second best team in the NBA today and Rockets are itching, scratching and biting the first one.

They are really close, as close as they have been in nearly two decades.

1 person likes this.
  2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I disagree with the bolded statement. To me we are the best team in the NBA today, even with our many flaws. And will we show the world what is CLUTCH CITY, come back and win this series and then go on to win the CHAMPIONSHIP!

3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

As painful as the last two games have been they are on the right track. Game 1 they played awful and still had it close at the end. Last night they had the ball with the chance to win on the final possession. Frustrating and encouraging at the same time. Brewer and Smith have been off in both games and we must have them step up to help Harden and Howard.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Rockets and McHale are SLOW learners, but learners none the less.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I call it the Count Down . . .
    First it was 4 . . . then it is 1. .. . next game. . . WIN!!

Rocket River

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess you didn't realize that Jones was in the rotation OP, so none of your pronouncements about how good this team is can be true.

7. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

I'm with you guys! Of course I would have preferred a split - and that was almost our reality. This said, a very hobbled Rockets team is playing with heart and they are getting there (occasional mental breakdown not withstanding).

Yet, here we are with the series heading back home; I've got a good feeling about this. I believe.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We're getting there, but I just hope it doesn't take them til next year to figure it all out. Someone on the radio this morning referenced the Seattle series in 1993. That Rockets team was "getting there", but it took them one more season(and the collapse and comeback vs Phoenix) before it all clicked.

9. charlieaustin

As Smith shot brick after brick Jones came in and gave us a nice spark off the bench. He's inconsistent and still very young but not a terrible player a lot of people here think he is.

10. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I think our team gets it. If we had Bev and DMO, we could easily be up 2-0 heading back to Houston.

This team isn't done yet. They have proved they aren't stepping down for anyone. Harden has figured it out. Look for this to be a huge rivalry in the West for years to come. Potentially a LAL vs SAC type rivalry.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

DMO with Bogut in foul trouble. AHHHHH What could have been.

12. charlieaustin

Hey if we win the championship the next two years I'd sacrifice this year.

13. cdain3

cdain3 Member

With DMO we're no doubt the best team in the NBA.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's not even about sacrifice. It's not like the Rockets are coughing up the title. They simply may not be ready mentally and certainly physically to take that final step. Plus even if they were healthy, they still have deficiencies on the roster(reliable 3-point shooting, a 2nd playmaker) that must be addressed this offseason.

Not saying they can't come back and win this. 2-0 coming home ain't any tougher than 3-1 coming home(although the opponent is better this round). But fact of the matter is the Rockets may not quite be title material just yet. Most teams have to learn to lose before they learn to win. Even Jordan's Bulls fell to the Pistons 3 straight years before finally getting over the hump.

15. thejav

thejav Member

been a 3 point differential for the 1st 2 games..lost by 4 in game 1 and lost by 1 in game 2..if my math is correct..(it usually isnt) rockets should win game 3 by 2 points..

16. atxjames

atxjames Member

The whole Clippers series I just felt that Houston could do it. Not because im a homer but because literally everything went in for them and we just bricked everything. And finally the tide turned.

I have the same feeling for this series. We are slowly figuring them out and then it will click and we will get rolling. I think it will go 7, and a coin flip from there.

17. rocks123

rocks123 Member

we havent really click in all cylinder yet. I thought the first quarter of the first game against the warriors we saw a glimpse of what Rockets can really do if everyone plays well. Its a shame dwight got injured and we lose our momentum and concentration.

18. SemisolidSnake

I'm proud of the team for how they've gotten to where they are, and they've definitely exposed the Warriors as a beatable team. However, they just can't seem to eliminate the subsequent valleys from their peaks in each game, and that's what kills them.

Teams often beat us because they take the steady, consistent climb up the mountain each game, and we take the straight cliff face that's fast at times, but totally stalls you out at times. I have faith in our ability to also take the steady climb, but much faster than our opponents.

19. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

It's still crazy to think we are not even fully healthy. GSW is with all their players. Last game, Smith and Brewer really didn't do much for us. Can't wait for everyone to get on the same page, might happen on Saturday.

20. Man

Man Contributing Member

I think we need another plug to help continue scoring. DMo is one guy like that. A good scoring guard would also help.

Lamarcus or Durant, what a dream.. KLove will do, too :p