1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT GAME 7 of the CONFERENCE SEMI FINALS VS THE LAKERS? Wasn't this just as

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ultrawhite23, May 16, 2015.

1. ultrawhite23

ultrawhite23 Member

I've heard a ton of people talk about how this is the biggest game since the 1997 loss to the Utah Jazz in game 7 of the western conference finals where we lost by stockton's 3 pointer in Utah.

But what about the 2009 western conference semifinals where we lost in game 7 to the lakers? Is it because game 7 was a blow out and we weren't supposed to make it that far? Is it because Yao and mutumbo both got injured in the series and we would have won surely had they been healthy, (not even mentioning missing t-Mac), that nobody wants to remember it?

It seems 2009 is the same exact equivalence to this game 7 vs the clippers. Am I wrong?

Would love to get more insight.

Thanks

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

we were only still in that series because the lakers let up their intensity after yao went down, when they turned up we had no shot

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Without yao and tmac that team had no chance. This team appears to be a title contender.

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

97 loss to Utah was in game 6

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This team still has its two superstars. That team's lone superstar went down during the series. Obviously, game 7 against the Lakers has been one of the biggest games the Rockets have had in the last decade and I'm sure that team is still in each Rockets fans hearts, but realistically speaking we had no chance to win a championship that season after Yao went down. Celtics, Cavs, and Magic would have destroyed the Rockets probably.

If we win this game we're putting ourselves up against the best team in the league in the WCF and a chance to advance to the finals where their best team is probably as good as the Grizzlies or something. One game away from having to beat the best team in the league just 4 times. Beating the Clippers gives us the chance to be one of the 4 teams to compete for a championship. Oakland, Atlanta, Cleveland, and us.

6. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

we can beat the cavs

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Poor OP doesn't know his Rocket's history.

and btw: Game 6, Round 2, 2015 was bigger than the Laker's game.

8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

But can we beat the Warriors? I think we can and will

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It wasn't the same kind of comeback. We were never down 3-1 in that series. What the 2009 Rockets did was pretty impressive given the injuries but going from 3-1 to 3-3 is in another stratosphere. And the L.A. series didn't feature anything like a 19 point comeback in an elimination game. 2009 was a cursed year for the Rockets in the face of which they over-performed. But that's all it was. This series right here? That last game? The Rockets are making history.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

also, what's up with the ridiculous ALL-CAPs yelling for an answer, OP?

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Caps lock sucks .... It's like screaming at all of us. If I wanted someone to scream at me , my wife would have another kid.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

game 6 in houston.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Lakers series - once Yao went down - we we no longer a contender. The fact that we went 7 games was only because the Lakers didn't bother to show up on the road. But they basically blew us out in L.A.

We didn't have the talent to beat that team with Yao and T-mac.

14. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

now that I don't agree with. with both Yao and tmac we could've won a championship that year.

15. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Grrr.... 2009 was as close of the rockets being contenders, but once Yao went out , Iit was a pipe dream.

16. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

That game was a heart breaker, ugh , nybhate for the jazz sky rocketed.

17. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

My hate *

18. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

You hit the nail on head with the Yao injury and no Tmac/Mutumbo.

Personally the way i feel now and they i felt in the 1990s are completely different than the 2009 playoffs.

Way more on the line this year since everyone is healthy

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, for real!

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude that was on the road.
    Game 7s at home