1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 7 thoughts and musings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bryant2108, May 15, 2015.

1. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I really wonder how both teams will come out on Sunday. We all know what it looks like on paper...

On the one hand, the Clippers just got embarrassed on Thursday. They played like the game was over and we steamrolled them at home. They have pride, so you'd think they will come out with a chip on their shoulder and play aggressively and confidently.

On the other hand, the Clippers have the pressure of never reaching the conference finals and not wanting to be the 9th team up 3-1 to lose the series. Do they force the issue? Do they just roll over?

From the Rockets point of view, after game 4, they are thrilled to be in this position. Took it one game at a time and got the series back to Houston. They proved the doubters wrong and mounted one of the most historic playoff comebacks that we've ever seen. Momentum is clearly on our side, but hopefully we don't bask in the glory of the game 6 victory. We are one win from the WCF!

Things don't look good for the Grizzlies right now, but it's still early. If they force game 7, who knows what happens in that series? I think the Rockets could beat the Grizzlies in a 7 game series. This could be a special playoff run. Either way, it's been a hell of a ride, and last night was clutch, heroic, and awesome.

Clutchcity2!

2. nemac

nemac Member

I hate to keep hearing that the Clippers let this one go, they were playing the clock, they were tentative etc, as if it was in the bag. They were simply outplayed and outclassed in the final Q+, and 3Qs does not a game make. Rockets will have the edge and should come out with fire. But it is also anyone's game and I would hate for a meltdown to take place if guys have on off night and the same heroes are back to being nothing. Just gotta be happy with what they have been able to do until now, support em and hope for the best.

3. AFS

AFS Member

Clippers ain't going down without a fight. We have some momentum but need to come in with a killer instinct and make plays.

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Whatever happens Sunday, I am glad the Rockets made a fight out of this series.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Clippers aren't going to quit so the Rockets have to take it from them. They have to play well to win this game. No mental lapses and no lollygagging around. Keep the pressure on the Clippers to make plays.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Hard to believe that after games 3 and 4 that this is the only series to go 7 games.

Honestly, though... Clippers are going to play extremely hard. Rockets have to come out strong and never let up. Focus, focus, focus on both ends of the floor.

I expect A LOT of double screens up top. I expect JJ Redick to come out firing. I can see Jamal Crawford breaking out of his slump... The Rockets HAVE to be able to withstand that and keep moving forward on them. Keep fighting. Keep hustling. Play Hard, Play Tough, and Play Smart.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

clippers have a s*** ton of pressure on them. it will be a terrible series to lose and the sting is gonna linger.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

These are the Clippers. They may very well quit. Of course you can't count on it.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I stick with what I have been saying the whole series. The rockets are the better team, we've played rocket ball the past two games and won both by double digits. Momentum is everything in the NBA and not only do we have it but were at home. It's not going to be easy but I'm really expecting our best game yet. I think we have figured out what works against this clippers team and when playing as a team we absolutely have the best defense in the league which drives are bench players on offense in brewer and jones. I expect smith to have a big game and also I really think harden and Howard will put up big #s. I'm expecting a double digit win and a 20/20 game from Howard with a 30/8 game from harden. Let's go rockets, this our year I want GSW, the whole world will be watching we're the only game on Sunday let's show them what they have missed all season.

By the way go check out the true hoops David Thorpe clip it very good and give big insight into the game 7 what he thinks about the rockets and harden on the bench. He thinks harden was really really sick and was a great teammate on the bench. He thinks Houston is very talented and haven't played our best ball yet and that the 4th quarter we saw last night is who we really are and that we can blow anyone out.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Die an ugly death, Clips

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Link lease ?

12. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Lol shhhh it will all be over soon

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I would like to see McHale play Ariza, Brewer, Dwight, Smith and Harden together for a stretch in the 4th. I think that group would be our best defense.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

doc has no more adjustments in his bag of tricks. what you saw in the last 4th Q is what he had to work with. as long as harden makes his shots and chases down his man in both halfcourt and transition, we got this

15. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

I just watched that video, gave me a big smile

16. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

No Joey Crawford, Zach Zarba, Monty McCutchen or James Capers. However, the other Crawford Dan, Ken Mauer and Tony are still out there..

What's up with the clutchcity2 (hashtag) stuff, it's Clutch City lll, 94-95 was Clutch City 2 or Double Clutch. Even Kenny made the same mistake ;)

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If we win by a single point or a double digit one, I will ban myself from posting until Jan. 16, 2016. I love this board but I love the Rockets even more.

I was skeptical of our chances (due to key injuries), so this is only fair given how much heart the players have shown for the past 2 games.

Let's do it!!!

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I have no clue. This has been a roller coaster. Felt good to get out of round 1 and especially by smacking the mavs. Then it felt like I got kicked in the gut after game 1 with no Paul. Felt a little hope after game 2. Heading to LA I felt cautiously optimistic only to have my heart ripped out by some of the most gutless heartless ball I have ever seen play. Waiting a long 48 hours to get to game 5. I expected a win in game 5. But also was prepared for the guys to simply be uninterested. But, they won. At that point I was resolved to the fact they could beat this team, but pissed away some good chances.

AND THEN. Game 6. Almost like a supermodel came and asked my pudgy pasty white ass out and promised a little something later. What a delivery by these guys. Went from heartless to steel in 14 minutes.

So what do I expect game 7. I have no clue. This team confuses me. Will it be a war? Will the Clips gag on their own pressure? Will the Rockets come out thinking they can go on cruise control and just turn it on when needed only to get that crap beat out of them... Anything is possible... For me. I am waiting on a call from that supermodel. She wants to go to the next dance. Come on Rox... Wanna join us? It's in Oakland. The plane is fueled. Your Hotel is ready. James. Want a shot and doing to Steph what Hakeem did to David. Then finish off these Clippers and take that opportunity. It is only 48 minutes away.

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Agreed, the idea that they gave this game away is not true. You can see them trying to execute plays, trying to move the ball. The Rockets defense just bothered them too much to get good shots up. The fact that they were not calling fouls for Blake also helped as I know a couple of those blocks on blake usually are called fouls. Pretty much everything went right for the clips up to the 4th quarter and everything went right for the rockets in the 4th quarter.

You can look at it this way, everything right going for the clippers = 19 point lead after 2.5 quarters. Everything right for the rockets = 49 - 12 run in 1.5 quarters. If rockets come out to play and dont take anything for granted, they can run the clippers off the court early and put an exclamation mark on what the national media will consider the biggest choke job in clippers history, that and put a big negative mark on Chris Pauls' career.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we win the rebounds and transition points, we will win the game.

role players don't usually show up on the road. redick and crawford should be guarded by ariza and brewer. paul and blake will have to win this for them. i would double off of barnes every time blake touches the ball in the post. I would also stick with the roll man on their PnR so jordan and blake don't get any easy ones. this would limit their offense to barnes 3's and paul/blake shooting mid range Js.